Stoke City 4 - 0 Newcastle United - 19/03/11 - post match reaction from page 21

Dave

Its not often I agree with Harry Redknapp but he's spot on when he says professional footballers should be banned by their clubs from drinking.

I'd not go that far, but I would like a system where the player must get the manager's consent to go on a night out else he's fined/dropped/etc.

Its not often I agree with Harry Redknapp but he's spot on when he says professional footballers should be banned by their clubs from drinking.

How can you spend a fortune paying a player to be a top athlete and then see him in some piece of shit nighclub getting plastered?

Does Redknapp do it? I totally agree btw.

Football still has this attitude of "they're young lads and can do what they like with their money", but as you say, they're very highly paid athletes now, it's no longer a case of Jackie Milburn doing a morning down the pit, playing at SJP, then going through a pack of 20 and 5 pints down the local.

Who's going to replace all these players we're giving away, particularly Lovenkrands and Ameobi?

I forgot were not allowed to sign anyone. Silly me forgetting all these new rules imposed by Newcastle Online on NUFC.   :lol:

Not having Lovenkrands surely forces Ferguson and Ranger in to the 1st team, something we'd all like to see, no?

Hardly rules imposed by me, imposed by the idiot running the show certainly.

But how many players do you expect us to sign if we give half a dozen away? We're already struggling to put a team out.

6 in 6 out is what Pardew and Carr are hinting with combined comments.

Problem is we have players, just none of them are real options when the starting XI are not available.

Harper won't be missed, his £30k wages will be a great saving, one out, no need for anyone in, we've got two young competitive keepers.

Campbell isn't going to be missed, handful of starts, handful of poor performances. I'd rather we take a punt on a youth player, one out, we could cope without another one coming in, just (though i'd prefer to sign a cheapish CB like on campbells wages)

Raylor out, we'd get some type of fee for him imo, bring in a proper RB such as Clyne who then covers RB and partially LB. Clyne would cost a 3rd of Raylors wages offestting any fee we do/don't get for Raylor. Clyne is in his last year and won't sign.

Smith out. Just getting him out the doors is an improvement on the pitch, nevermind saving his wages off it. We could almost buy another Tiote if we could pull it off and I think we would have some interest as long as he'd take some sort of paycut. Barton was willing to take one until the Carroll sale, it can and does happen. Smith has always wanted to paly football, if we say were not taking a fee for him, would he take a paycut I'm sure some compromise can be arranged. We do need cover for Tiote, so one in, unless Richardson can step up, i'd say without seeing him play i'd bet my house on him being a better option than Smith in the middle of the park.

Perch is on relatively low wages, and could be palmed off back to the CCC, maybe even as a makeweight in some sort of deal. We'd get a £1m for him easily, we could give that to Smith at the very worst to tell him to piss off. One out and do we really need one in to replace him? Not if we get Clyne and a cover for Tiote.

And finally Lovenkrands, not a winger, not a striker. Ferguson a better winger, Ranger a better striker. We'd possibly get a fee for him, McLeish loves him, he's won him so many trophies in Scotland. One out, do we really need another one in? IMO no.

Then there's the £35m to spend.

Guest BooBoo

How can you spend a fortune paying a player to be a top athlete and then see him in some piece of shit nighclub getting plastered?

Football still has this attitude of "they're young lads and can do what they like with their money", but as you say, they're very highly paid athletes now, it's no longer a case of Jackie Milburn doing a morning down the pit, playing at SJP, then going for a few in the local and smoking a pack of 20.

I dont think Redknapp has a ban on it, but he has a very dim view of his players drinking. Ferguson too, there's an interesting piece in his autobiography about how one of his first major moves at Old Trafford was to clear out some of the heavy drinkers. McGrath was a fantastic defender but Fergie saw him as one of the ringleaders of a drinking culture and he was quickly out on his arse.

For me, its a combination of drinking AND the negative attention you will inevitably attract being a footballer and out on the lash at 2am.

A few pints in a quiet bar is one thing, sloshing it up on Collingwood Street is quite another.

Football still has this attitude of "they're young lads and can do what they like with their money", but as you say, they're very highly paid athletes now, it's no longer a case of Jackie Milburn doing a morning down the pit, playing at SJP, then going for a few in the local and smoking a pack of 20.

I dont think Redknapp has a ban on it, but he has a very dim view of his players drinking. Ferguson too, there's an interesting piece in his autobiography about how one of his first major moves at Old Trafford was to clear out some of the heavy drinkers. McGrath was a fantastic defender but Fergie saw him as one of the ringleaders of a drinking culture and he was quickly out on his arse.

For me, its a combination of drinking AND the nagtive attention you will inevitably attract being a footballer and out on the lash at 2am.

A few pints in a quiet bar is one thing, sloshing it up on Collingwood Street is quite another.

Especially after a defeat, something that really pisses me off.

For me, its a combination of drinking AND the nagtive attention you will inevitably attract being a footballer and out on the lash at 2am.

This is the thing, it's not easy to successfully enforce. Yes, it's easy to ban/fine them or whatever if they're seen in a nightclub at 2am but what's to say others aren't getting plastered at a friend's house, or in a bar and not spotted?

Anyone see the full game and care to put up some (reasonable) marks out of ten?

Harper 2 - Coped well from Delap's throw ins but at fault for the second, didn't react for the third and didn't really cover himself in glory for the forth either.

Simpson 6 - Solid.

Williamson 5 - Did alright in the air, showed he's limited on the ground.

Colo 6 - Not his best game, not his worst. Felt he was pulled out of position a lot through the poor play of others.

Campbell 2 - Poor. Sloppy on the ball, too slow without it. Shares the blame with Harper for the second.

Fergson 6.5 - Lively, probably our best player.

Tiote 6 -  Broke play up well, lost his head a bit in the second half.

Barton 5.5 - All right in open play but his delivery was generally awful.

Nolan 6.5 - Did alright, got stuck in and did his best to support the attack.

Shola 5 - The usual.

Lovenkrands 2 - Who?

Ranger 5 - Alright.

Pardew 3 - Got it wrong for the second game running, needs to bin the current system with three at the back.

Just got back, knackered and annoyed. What a terrible result, no way were we 4 goals worse than them, absolute bollocks.

Harper 2 - Shite. Was completely shown up by his opposite number Begovic, and his catastrophic error well the less said the better.

Simpson 5 - Ok I guess, did little wrong.

Campbell 4 - Very poor, his career is coming to an end and he is no longer up to it.

Williamson 6 - Shaky at times but wasn't to blame for any of the goals really.

Coloccini 7 - Our best defender by far, if only he had a centre back partner of the same level.

Enrique N/A - Massive risk by Pardew which backfired.

Barton 5 - Most of his deliveries were poor by his standard.

Tiote 6 - Battled well enough in the middle of the park, should never have been booked.

Nolan 5 - Average showing, tried to get things going up front, but lost the ball a lot in midfield.

Lovenkrands 2 - Never involved, to dust off an old chestnut, there is the door now use it.

Ameobi 4.5 - Grafted but barely won a header the entire game, not great at all.

Subs:

Ferguson 7 - Our bright spot, has to start if Jose isn't fit for Wolves. Really wanted him to score after that terrific run.

Ranger 6 - Actually won headers unlike our other two strikers.

Jonas 5 - Didn't really do much.

Who's going to replace all these players we're giving away, particularly Lovenkrands and Ameobi?

I forgot were not allowed to sign anyone. Silly me forgetting all these new rules imposed by Newcastle Online on NUFC.   :lol:

Not having Lovenkrands surely forces Ferguson and Ranger in to the 1st team, something we'd all like to see, no?

Hardly rules imposed by me, imposed by the idiot running the show certainly.

But how many players do you expect us to sign if we give half a dozen away? We're already struggling to put a team out.

Then there's the £35m to spend.

well that was shit

Guest Mantis

Twitter stuff:

'Pardew unhappy to be told about this picture after game. Best, Ireland & Folan at Tup Tup Palace last night'

Pardew: "We're very conscious we've never been that far away from that situation (relegation). Other results today have put pressure on."

"One of those days to forget as a manager. But we've got enough quality to win the next game." Best injured ankle in training Thurs.

Whether fit or not, I'd be imposing a 48 hour ban of the city centre nightspots before any game for our players. Totally unprofessional that these clowns are recovering from injuries and are arsing about on the drink when they should be taking it easy.

I think in years to come (and it may take a while) clubs will end up banning their players from city centre nightlife. It creates nothing positive.

Agreed! Intake of alcohol makes the injury heal slower. f***ing amateurs.. It's especially serious when we consider our injury situation..

Been saying it for years. Nowt will change and these pricks will continue acting like bell ends and wannabe gangstas.  Dont know how Ireland has the nerve to be giving it the big one with his contribution so  far.  I'd  send him back tomorrow.

Guest Heneage

It's one of those photo's that if we win people laugh and call them daft lads but because we lost they are unprofessional wankers.

Haven't seen much of the game bar the BBC's report and it sounds like a nightmare. It seems to highlight how paper thin our squad is and as is always the case when we lose, we often just blame the same usual suspects.