Newcastle United vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers, 02/04/11 - Pre-match Thread

ChrisMcQuillan

Whilst I am firmly in the "I will bet for football rather than Newcastle" camp aka the "anti-Kaizero approach", betting on our relegation is just not right.

Especially considering I don't think it'll happen :laugh: It's just scare-mongering.

Betting against your own team is always wrong, man. :lol: I'd rather not feel like a dirty cheating fucker at the same time as being angry/sad from losing.  :huff:

Guest ovesbar

So if you buy house insurance does that mean that you hope your house burns down?

If you buy insurance for your kids do you love them less than you did before?

If you really believe that there is more than 10% chance of us going down why not put money on it and earn something from the bookies that you believe are clearly wrong?

Tempted to bet against us when we go to Liverpool and Chelsea like.  Almost nailed on to lose. Sadly predictable.

I always bet quite heavily on Liverpool when we go to Anfield.

Don't see what the big fuss is - my bet does not influence the game. My heart wants us to win, my head knows we will lose. Why wouldn't you try to put a silver lining (money) on a bad thing (NUFC losing)? ???

So if you buy house insurance does that mean that you hope your house burns down?

If you really believe that there is more than 10% chance of us going down why not put money on it and earn something from the bookies that you believe are clearly wrong?

I always go into a match thinking we can win it, no matter how unlikely that scenario may be. I prefer to stick with my team, always. And if we play a team that we're unlikely to have a chance against on paper, I just don't bet on the match. That said I'd rather lose loads of money than gain money on my team's misfortune as I'd at least still have my integrity intact. There's literally hundreds of other matches to bet on at the same time as an NUFC match, betting against your own team is just twisted.

The answer to your first two questions is "it depends how big the payout will be".

Hedging your Bets.

Idiom Definitions for 'Hedge your bets'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you hedge your bets, you don't risk everything on one opportunity, but try more than one thing

Its sentimentality v financial gain

and as a newcastle supporter odds I could not refuse,

But as I have already said I hope I dont collect.

He's already said he hopes he doesn't collect.

Needless bet to make then no?

How? Sentimentality is part of the reason the bookie generally comes off best. Bet with your head. 20/1 represents pretty incredible value, especially in retrospect.

Except his bet does have a sentimental element to it, although it's a negative one.

He's not betting with his head - Villa and Sunderland both on ridiculous slides and both arguably in as good of a chance of going down as us, yet he bets on us.

If he wasn't a NUFC fan, I would put everything on him not putting the same bet on.

20/1 is great value, he is using his head. Him being an NUFC fan puts him in a better position to place an NUFC bet than most. Gambling is about using what you know.

Can't argue with that.

Guest Flatline

Harper

Simpson Williamson Coloccini Enrique

Gutierrez Barton Nolan Ferguson

Ranger Best

Shola isnt matchfit, Lovenkrants is useless in every aspect of life, Im surprised he managed to impregnate his wife, the lad couldnt hit a barn door if it hit him in the face

Harper

Simpson Williamson Coloccini Enrique

Gutierrez Barton Nolan Ferguson

Ranger Best

Shola isnt matchfit, Lovenkrants is useless in every aspect of life, Im surprised he managed to impregnate his wife, the lad couldnt hit a barn door if it hit him in the face

I agree with this team, although I imagine we'll get some sort of weird fudge involving loads of players out of position. Unless Pards has learned his lesson.

i agree with giving Ferguson a start on the wing considering the injuries we currently have meaning Barton may have to start centrally. But if Jonas really doesn't like playing wide right? wouldn't mind giving tiny Shane a chance out on the right cutting in with his apparent decent dribbling ability and then just switch them over occasionally.

Let's say some guy shows up at your door, says "Can I torture your favourite pet in front of you for ninety minutes if I give you £50? I won't kill it, just put it through immense pain whilst you watch. You get £50 out of it, so surely it'd be okay? I mean, your pet would be sad, but you'd be happy you made £50 from it, no?"

Let's say some guy shows up at your door, says "Can I torture your favourite pet in front of you for ninety minutes if I give you £50? I won't kill it, just put it through immense pain whilst you watch. You get £50 out of it, so surely it'd be okay? I mean, your pet would be sad, but you'd be happy you made £50 from it, no?"

But that is in your control, and its pyhsical tortue to an animal. Football is not in your control and is a game.

I guess on some level I can understand the "OMG we went down once and it hurt so much, I don't think I'd be able to bear going down again, so I'll just have a super negative attitude to begin with to soften the blow just in case it actually happens" attitude.

But that is in your control, and its pyhsical tortue to an animal. Football is not in your control and is a game.

It's a comparison to what you basically are doing, you're saying it's alright to watch something you love get smashed up as long as you get money for watching it happen. It's just not right.

It's a comparison to what you basically are doing, you're saying it's alright to watch something you love get smashed up as long as you get money for watching it happen. It's just not right.

Not really, what you decided to bet on won't affect the relegation, whereas you're actively choosing to have your pet tortured. It's quite different.

Not really, what you decided to bet on won't affect the relegation, whereas you're actively choosing to have your pet tortured. It's quite different.

It's not the affecting a potential relegation, it's making money from seeing it happen. You're choosing to make money from seeing something bad potentially happen to something you care from, and it's IMO quite immoral. And to stay with the pet thing, let's just say you don't really know if the dude would torture the pet or not when you choose to accept the money, thus making it more similar to not knowing whether or not relegation would happen when betting on it happening.

Yes, you're choosing to make money from something bad that will happen irrespective of whether you do or don't make money off it.

Is that immoral? Well, morals are subjective and opinions may vary, but... no. :lol:

There's no need for an analogy man :laugh: - the only reason to introduce an analogy into the situation is to drum up the sympathy of an animal being brutalised!