Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Is there a website that still carries live tables?

http://www.livescore.com/

On a similar note, is there an alternative website which shows as-it-stood tables by historical date? Statto.com used to do the job but it's been offline all summer...

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:premier-league/daterange/fromdate:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB1

Can see up to a matchweek here for the prem https://www.premierleague.com/tables

O0

Possibly another just me then thing, but here goes.

When you're watching Milan v Inter for example, do you always want one team or the other to win?

I don't support them, never even bought a shirt and generally don't go out of my way to watch them. But if I lived there I'd support Milan.

Similarly Barca > Real Madrid.

Roma > Lazio

Celtic > Rangers though there's a fair bit of bias on that one.

Marseille > Everyone in Ligue 1

Just me?

Is there a website that still carries live tables?

http://www.livescore.com/

Nice one, is the full table on there live during matches or just that basic one?

If you want a full, live updated table during matches, flashscore.co.uk is pretty sound for that.

Why have Sky Sports changed their live score centre? Somehow they've managed to make it less user-friendly than it was ten years ago ffs.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm going through NUFC '92-'96 nostalgic phase number 1,432. What was the deal with Marc Hottiger again? Just no good? I remember us getting him at the same time as Albert after he'd had a good world cup, but I can't for the life of me remember why he didn't get a look in, even when it was a bit of a problem position.

Guest firetotheworks

As an aside, it's funny how we adjust our memories of the past to fit in with the current standards like. I mean, we were the best team to watch by a mile in the league and the pace still feels canny slow (Gillespie aside) - I remember my dad saying in the '90s that the game had gone soft...compared to now it's basically rugby at times. :lol: I've just watched Vinnie Jones kick Rob Lee in the face and the commentators are saying that it's harsh. :lol:

I'm going through NUFC '92-'96 nostalgic phase number 1,432. What was the deal with Marc Hottiger again? Just no good? I remember us getting him at the same time as Albert after he'd had a good world cup, but I can't for the life of me remember why he didn't get a look in, even when it was a bit of a problem position.

Played almost every game in 94-95 like.

Guest neesy111

We also made a profit on him IIRC like most of his signings, Keegan always got most of the fee back for them despite them being surplus to requirements.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, I'm just wondering because we signed him, I think, for that season, then the next season we signed Barton, and played Watson there as well.

On that note, I found a great vidiprinter on Saturday: https://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/vidiprinter

Can't usually be bothered with the TV being tied to Soccer Saturday while the games are on so prefer an online vidiprinter - BBC seem to have sacked it off altogether this season and the Sky Sports one on desktop is shite, goals are out of order/duplicated. This one's quality, although very extensive so you also get European results popping up but I quite like that.

Aye, I'm just wondering because we signed him, I think, for that season, then the next season we signed Barton, and played Watson there as well.

Always liked Hottiger. Looked like a sexpest n all.

So, League Cup draw is on Thursday after the mackem game, was thinking can we only be drawn vs League 1 and League 2 sides in the 2nd round due to the 13 PL clubs and the Championship clubs that got through the last round being seeded or is there no seeding with Championship clubs and we can be drawn against one?

My question is regarding agents:

Why would a football club pay an agent representing a player? The agent is not employed by the club, they are there to get the best deal for the player and so the player should pay for the services out of his own pocket surely?

I realise that's two questions, but it's something I've never understood. Thank you to anyone who can clarify it for me.

Got to be more to it than that. What is to stop the club offering the player the contract he wants that his agent has asked for, but strike off the agent fee? Player is getting what he wants that way, agents can then ask the player for a percentage of a signing on fee, which wouldn't be so ridiculous.

Every club wants the top players, so they can basically demand anything. It doesn't really affect the player, who is going to be made offensively rich regardless, so why would they change the arrangement with their agent?

Unfortunately the very top level is an industry with insane levels of cash sloshing around. Once that happens in any business loads of middle men pop up to suckle on the teat.

Still makes no sense to me. If the club was employing the agent then fine, but he's representing the player, therefore the player should pay. I cannot fathom why in football it's this way around.

Pretty sure this doesn't happen in other walks of life that require agents, such as actors etc. The agent there takes a percentage of the actor's fee as far as I'm aware.