Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Guest neesy111

Hoffenheim is a village in Germany with a population of 3,200. Their stadium is in a nearby town with a population of 32,000

..how are they an upper Bundesliga side? :lol:

Owned by SAP.  One of the biggest blue-chip firms in the world.

Yeah I just had a look, realising I could have just done this instead of posting here

A fifth division side in 2000, the club made a remarkable advance to the German football league system top tier Bundesliga in 2008 with the financial backing of alumnus and software mogul Dietmar Hopp.

of course

If a player is named in a starting lineup, but gets injured in the warm-up and needs replacing, does it count as a substitution?

Don't think so as long as he doesn't play any minutes.

Happens in quite a few matches from memory.

Guest neesy111

If a player is named in a starting lineup, but gets injured in the warm-up and needs replacing, does it count as a substitution?

No.

• 2 weeks later...

Feel like this exceeds simply 'daft' but here it goes..

Could a season ticket holder 'do' Ashley if they could make enough of a case that his lies of doing this and that for the club persuaded them to invest in their ticket, before he did his usual backtracking? I guess the fact he's not quite dumb enough to start bellowing exactly how much he would be giving Rafa for transfers etc would deem this no. But just thinking from a false representation kind of angle? I'm the other end of the country with no season ticket btw so this isn't wishing thinking, just pointless bored musings. :lol:

Could a season ticket holder 'do' Ashley if they could make enough of a case that his lies of doing this and that for the club persuaded them to invest in their ticket, before he did his usual backtracking? I guess the fact he's not quite dumb enough to start bellowing exactly how much he would be giving Rafa for transfers etc would deem this no. But just thinking from a false representation kind of angle? I'm the other end of the country with no season ticket btw so this isn't wishing thinking, just pointless bored musings. :lol:

Simple answer is no.

There is no contractual gain of buying a ticket other than seeing a football match, if Ashley can provide that, then he's met his obligations.

Your own reasoning for buying a ticket is nothing more than that, personal to you and influenced by nothing other than yourself. Ashley has also not made any direct promises of how much money will be available for transfers and exactly when that money will be spent.

• 2 weeks later...
If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches,

the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine their rankings:

a. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the

teams in question;

b. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in

question;

c. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams

in question;

d. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played

among the teams in question;

e. if, after having applied criteria a) to d), teams still have an equal ranking,

criteria a) to d) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in

question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a

decision, criteria f) to l) apply;

f. superior goal difference in all group matches;

g. higher number of goals scored in all group matches;

h. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;

i. higher number of wins in all group matches;

j. higher number of away wins in all group matches;

k. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in

all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for

two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);

l. higher club coefficient (see Annex D).

If every season ticket holder decided to sue and got the worlds best lawyer to represent them, t would be a great film for somebody who looks like Julia Roberts.

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches,

the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine their rankings:

a. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the

teams in question;

b. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in

question;

c. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams

in question;

d. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played

among the teams in question;

e. if, after having applied criteria a) to d), teams still have an equal ranking,

criteria a) to d) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in

question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a

decision, criteria f) to l) apply;

f. superior goal difference in all group matches;

g. higher number of goals scored in all group matches;

h. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;

i. higher number of wins in all group matches;

j. higher number of away wins in all group matches;

k. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in

all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for

two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);

l. higher club coefficient (see Annex D).

Thanks Dave :thup:

So in my example I guess yellow and red cards would be the decider. Not sure that situation would eve occur though :)

Why are red card challenges reviewed retrospectively but other red card incidents aren't?

So for example, yesterday Gayle was running through on goal and there was a coming together with Stoke's last man. If that was a foul, it would have inevitably been a red card for the defender.

I'm not saying that incident was a foul/red card but using it as an example - those red card incidents are never reviewed retrospectively, just wondered why.

Why are red card challenges reviewed retrospectively but other red card incidents aren't?

So for example, yesterday Gayle was running through on goal and there was a coming together with Stoke's last man. If that was a foul, it would have inevitably been a red card for the defender.

I'm not saying that incident was a foul/red card but using it as an example - those red card incidents are never reviewed retrospectively, just wondered why.

Because no referee is going to admit to not having seen a passage of play like a player running on goal (and tbf, why wouldn't he be looking at that?). That's why bad tackles are also never dealt with retrospectively. It's all to do with whether the ref saw the incident or not.

I asked a similar, but slightly different question, not long back. That's a good shout.

Seeing Cassano reunited with Pazzini at Verona has reminded me of their brilliant partnership for Sampdoria that lifted an extremely average side into the Champions League.

It made me try and think of other examples of where a poor side has been lifted purely by the quality - but more crucially partnership - of a front 2. I can only really think off the top of my head of Quinn and Phillips for the mackems. But I am sure there must be more examples out there.