Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me, or is there a lot less "amazing" (maybe high profile is a better descriptor) footballers around these days?

I mean, just a few years ago I could look at the big countries starting elevens and immediately see one or two massive profiles in their squad. Looked at the England - Germany squads today and didn't really see any name I'd say is a massive profile. Same goes for the outfield players of Italy.

Obviously they are good players, but there's not that many Henrys, Beckhams, Maldinis, Zidanes, Ronaldinhos and Figos knocking about anymore, in the sense that even people who don't really care for football would recognise them on "brand awareness" alone.

Is it just me, or is there a lot less "amazing" (maybe high profile is a better descriptor) footballers around these days?

I mean, just a few years ago I could look at the big countries starting elevens and immediately see one or two massive profiles in their squad. Looked at the England - Germany squads today and didn't really see any name I'd say is a massive profile. Same goes for the outfield players of Italy.

Obviously they are good players, but there's not that many Henrys, Beckhams, Maldinis, Zidanes, Ronaldinhos and Figos knocking about anymore, in the sense that even people who don't really care for football would recognise them on "brand awareness" alone.

England and Germany B teams were playing, plus sometimes the ‘Beckhams, Maldinis, Zidanes, Ronaldinhos and Figos’ aren’t really lauded until towards the end or  even after their career. If the current crop of English players, I wonder how Kane, Dele Alli, Dier will be remembered? There are surely a number of big name French, Italian, Brazilian, and (one) Portuguese players who stand out of the current crop.

England and Germany B teams were playing, plus sometimes the ‘Beckhams, Maldinis, Zidanes, Ronaldinhos and Figos’ aren’t really lauded until towards the end or  even after their career. If the current crop of English players, I wonder how Kane, Dele Alli, Dier will be remembered? There are surely a number of big name French, Italian, Brazilian, and (one) Portuguese players who stand out of the current crop.

I'm not really talking about players being gifted and lauded for their ability, more their actual fame levels outside of the average football watcher. I fail to think of many outside of Messi, Neymar and Ronaldo that peple not that interested in football would see today and still be all "Oh yeah, that guy, I know who that is", where just a few years ago the footballing world were littered with profiles that (personal experience) people who hate football knew begrudgingly who was.

Why do Everton fans have such a gargantuan chip on the shoulder about us for no reason? Seen many digs at us by them on social media past few weeks, desperate to tell us that we're not a big club. Seems like mackem levels of tragic.

Like, just, why? :lol:

Why do Everton fans have such a gargantuan chip on the shoulder about us for no reason? Seen many digs at us by them on social media past few weeks, desperate to tell us that we're not a big club. Seems like mackem levels of tragic.

Like, just, why? :lol:

Everton had higher attendances than us when we were shite and they were winning league titles. pwned :lol:

It's just a social media thing though I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Player on the winning team I'd guess. If it's a draw then obviously a fight to the death.

and what happens if two players from the same side score a hattrick then? probably should do some shitty contest like a crossbar challenge after the final whistle or something.

Didn't both Kelly and Cole get a hat-trick in the 7-1 v Leicester?

Yes they did..Kelly scored his first in the first half though

Also remember Mickey Quinn and John Aldridge both getting hatricks in that crazy 6-6 game away at Tranmere in the stupid ZDS cup. Only Newcastle could score 6 away from home and not win

Out of all retired ex-NUFC players, who have done the best financially after their professional career? And are there any horror stories (finance wise, not alcohol/drug wise).

Came to me as I just read about how John Carew has turned the £30 million he earned throughout his career into £170 million through property investments. Can't really think of too many retired players who've moved on to have successful post-football careers in other fields than TV.

Not really a question to be honest but what could be the best back 5 (gk plus a back 4) you could conceivably put together, age and cost no option? Just a general rant as the forwards and strikers tend to hog the highlights and win all of the awards and plaudits. The emphasis is always on the attacking element of the game and the best forwards and attacking players are household names but the best defended now seem to be a bit if an afterthought. Putting together the front 6 of a world XI is pretty simple but the defensive 5, for me, is far more difficult.

What's the best defence you could cobble together?

Neuer as keeper, Dani Alves and Marcelo as full backs. Centre halves are really difficult as a lot of really good centre halves are made to look better or worse because of the other centre half with them or the way the team is set up