Arsene Wenger

Parky

No doubt in my mind that the spendthrift Wenger has held the club back for a decade. How long have they fucked about on the GK and CD fiasco?

Trying to distill Arsenal's last 10 years into a lack of a goalkeeper and a defensive midfielder is crazy, Parky. The main thing thats stopped Arsenal being successful over the last 10 years is financial doping. They never had the depth that Chelsea and then Man City had, and they continually lost their best players to these teams. Having a goalkeeper or a defensive midfielder doesn't make a heap of fucking difference when Man City can afford to have 4 top class forwards to switch around when they fancy. The Chelsea/City era also just happened to coincide with the financing of infrastructure and a stadium that will keep them near the top of football in this country for the forseeable future.

Arsenal has a football culture now thats in tune with the demands of modern football commercially and financially. It may not be what old time Highbury matchgoers think of what Arsenal should be, but its one that will keep them competitive on the pitch and as a global international brand long after Wenger goes. Without Wenger Arsenal could have quite easily ended up a PL alsoran like Aston Villa or something. In fact if they'd continued with their culture of the 80s and early 90s I'd say they almost certainly would have done. He totally changed the culture and then the infrastructure of the club for the long term benefit.

What I will say, he should have took the domestic cups far more seriously when Arsenal couldn't compete in the league. It seemed like he continually invested all the clubs playing resources in the PL and CL when they were always likely to fall short. Winning a couple of League Cups/FA Cups during the dry spell would have took a lot of the pressure off himself.

No doubt in my mind that the spendthrift Wenger has held the club back for a decade. How long have they fucked about on the GK and CD fiasco?

Trying to distill Arsenal's last 10 years into a lack of a goalkeeper and a defensive midfielder is crazy, Parky. The main thing thats stopped Arsenal being successful over the last 10 years is financial doping. They never had the depth that Chelsea and then Man City had, and they continually lost their best players to these teams. Having a goalkeeper or a defensive midfielder doesn't make a heap of fucking difference when Man City can afford to have 4 top class forwards to switch around when they fancy. The Chelsea/City era also just happened to coincide with the financing of infrastructure and a stadium that will keep them at the top of football in this country for the forseeable future.

Arsenal has a football culture now thats in tune with the demands of modern football commercially and financially. It may not be what old time Highbury matchgoers think of what Arsenal should be, but its one that will keep them competitive on the pitch and as a global international brand long after Wenger goes. Without Wenger Arsenal could have quite easily ended up a PL alsoran like Aston Villa or something. In fact if they'd continued with their culture of the 80s and early 90s I'd say they almost certainly would have done. He totally changed the culture and then the infrastructure of the club for the long term benefit.

What I will say, he should have took the domestic cups far more seriously when Arsenal couldn't compete in the league. It seemed like he continually invested all the clubs playing resources in the PL and CL when they were always likely to fall short. Winning a couple of League Cups/FA Cups during the dry spell would have took a lot of the pressure off himself.

it's all in here somewhere

it probably comes down to a combination of the club reigning in spending to fund the stadium as chelsea/abramovich started going mental then when they had money in the bank wenger definitely had a period where he stubbornly stuck to playing the youth team and only signing prospects when looking back now he was faced with fergie's manyoo, chelsea, citeh and liverpool/spurs trying to push on...now he's spending money they're back close to challenging

that period as citeh got took over while he stuck with diaby, song and whoever else is what's hurt his reputation massively imo

No doubt in my mind that the spendthrift Wenger has held the club back for a decade. How long have they f***ed about on the GK and CD fiasco?

Trying to distill Arsenal's last 10 years into a lack of a goalkeeper and a defensive midfielder is crazy, Parky. The main thing thats stopped Arsenal being successful over the last 10 years is financial doping. They never had the depth that Chelsea and then Man City had, and they continually lost their best players to these teams. Having a goalkeeper or a defensive midfielder doesn't make a heap of f***ing difference when Man City can afford to have 4 top class forwards to switch around when they fancy. The Chelsea/City era also just happened to coincide with the financing of infrastructure and a stadium that will keep them near the top of football in this country for the forseeable future.

:thup:

Although i will say this, as much as i like Wenger he cost himself a shot at challenging last year with the constant tinkering of players and formations up till January.

Guest GoonerAlexis

No doubt in my mind that the spendthrift Wenger has held the club back for a decade. How long have they f***ed about on the GK and CD fiasco?

Trying to distill Arsenal's last 10 years into a lack of a goalkeeper and a defensive midfielder is crazy, Parky. The main thing thats stopped Arsenal being successful over the last 10 years is financial doping. They never had the depth that Chelsea and then Man City had, and they continually lost their best players to these teams. Having a goalkeeper or a defensive midfielder doesn't make a heap of f***ing difference when Man City can afford to have 4 top class forwards to switch around when they fancy. The Chelsea/City era also just happened to coincide with the financing of infrastructure and a stadium that will keep them near the top of football in this country for the forseeable future.

:thup:

Although i will say this, as much as i like Wenger he cost himself a shot at challenging last year with the constant tinkering of players and formations up till January.

Half agree with this, but we had our best players out for half the season.

Hopefully, we get a DM cover and a striker this transfer window, need someone to alternate with Giroud, and a good enough backup in case he's injured, unless we can get someone better obviously

Maybe the fact that spending was cut and players not being bought is why the priority is switched to the league and CL where the money is at? Much in the same way to us it breeds frustration when glory is sacrificed for money. Although, at least Arsenal are competing for top 9f the table positions and playing European matches against the elite, not sacrificing a chance at glory to scrape a draw at the bottom of the table team to avoid relegation.

Guest GoonerAlexis

One thing often ignored is his loyalty. Sure, he's highly paid, but how many top managers would ignore offers from Real, Bayern for a rebuilding project that puts you out of contention for major trophies for a minimum of 10 years?

One thing often ignored is his loyalty. Sure, he's highly paid, but how many top managers would ignore offers from Real, Bayern for a rebuilding project that puts you out of contention for major trophies for a minimum of 10 years?

:pardsgrin:

Guest GoonerAlexis

Has 174m in the bank a couple of years ago and persisted with Championship GK's.

No offence but I'm sure both our keepers would have got into the Newcastle team, seeing the howlers Krul has been making  :whistle:

Wenger's is the only manager up there that will actually give the younger guys a legit chance to come through. It's part of the reason he won't always splash the cash straight away. I like that about him tbh.

Guest GoonerAlexis

Wenger's is the only manager up there that will actually give the younger guys a legit chance to come through. It's part of the reason he won't always splash the cash straight away. I like that about him tbh.

Doubt many managers will do that in the future though, tbh, after what those same younger guys did to him

it's also the reason he's considered a 'failure' despite currently being the most successful PL manager

it's also the reason he's considered a 'failure' despite currently being the most successful PL manager

Far better earn your already rich agent cash for no reason than play youth :mou:

Could have had Suarez but for his gargantuan ego.

:lol: Yeah i'm sure Liverpool's reluctance to sell had absolutely nothing to do with it, besides he would been sold within a year. Not a chance in hell he keeps him from going to Barca.

Saurez was the fatal mistake. A talisman, a winner with ridiculous scoring rates and someone who can single handedly make a goodish team into title contenders as he did with Liverpool. What's he worth now? Priceless. Wenger only had to go back with a bid of 45m instead he took the piss.

Guest GoonerAlexis

Saurez was the fatal mistake. A talisman, a winner with ridiculous scoring rates and someone who can single handedly make a goodish team into title contenders as he did with Liverpool. What's he worth now? Priceless. Wenger only had to go back with a bid of 45m instead he took the p*ss.

Except Liverpool later admitted that there had been a buy-out clause. Why should we have bid more when they should have handed him over?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10672340/Luis-Suarez-did-have-a-40m-buy-out-clause-but-Liverpool-admit-they-ignored-it-after-Arsenal-offer.html

Saurez was the fatal mistake. A talisman, a winner with ridiculous scoring rates and someone who can single handedly make a goodish team into title contenders as he did with Liverpool. What's he worth now? Priceless. Wenger only had to go back with a bid of 45m instead he took the piss.

no, suarez had 2 options to be a great and that was real or barca and to be second to ron or lionel...if he'd gone somewhere and been the star he'd have fucked up again

he made the right move

If all of these creepy owners with silly money never come into the game, he would have continued his early success throughout. You can't knock the guy for sticking to his principles of developing younger players. He just had to find a bit more of a balance due to stupid clubs like Man City and Chelsea, and he's going to get it right.

that fatal mistake that stopped them becoming title contenders in the season to come?