Arsene Wenger

Parky

Guest Howaythetoon

I love reaidng TT's analysis of other sides, almost always spot on. He's right as well, the recruitment at Arsenal is all wrong and has been for years. He buys too many tippy tappy type players in all positions. He needs to go back to basics, wingers on the wings, a centre-forward, a playmaker type forward, a midfield destroyer and some tough shit defenders.

I love reaidng TT's analysis of other sides, almost always spot on. He's right as well, the recruitment at Arsenal is all wrong and has been for years. He buys too many tippy tappy type players in all positions. He needs to go back to basics, wingers on the wings, a centre-forward, a playmaker type forward, a midfield destroyer and some tough shit defenders.

The lack of another centre forward is ridiculous. Gives them no flexibility formation wise.

I love reaidng TT's analysis of other sides, almost always spot on. He's right as well, the recruitment at Arsenal is all wrong and has been for years. He buys too many tippy tappy type players in all positions. He needs to go back to basics, wingers on the wings, a centre-forward, a playmaker type forward, a midfield destroyer and some tough s*** defenders.

Like us, you mean?

Don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong in Wenger's overall philosophy (as I said I think he has strong tacticalweaknesses, but I'm fine with his philosophy). If his transfer policy is guilty of anything is not ending up with good enough players to pull it off, and not recognising their inadequacies right off the bat. He has always had athleticism in his side: Walcott, Diaby, Clichy... I don't think he's neglected it, he's just got s*** players with it.

And he's tried with different strikers over the years, Bendtner, Vela, Eduardo, Chamakh have failed, but the has bought them. If Adebayor hadn't left they would have an excellent partnership right now.

Guest Howaythetoon

Your tippy tappy type players are fucking class though, Arsenal's are Rosiky, Arshaven etc. :lol:

They can look great at times and can still hurt teams but have a plan and basically get into them and they are fucked.

If have had this glaring suspicion - and it's a very subjective opinion and I'm totally talking out of my arse - that Wenger loathes to sign established players because he wants to take credit of unearthing a bunch of wonderkids and being the best manager evah by making a winning side out of them.

Really, Arshavin and Rosicky are the only "name" players I can think he's signed since 2005 until this season, when he obviously entered panic mode and got Mertesacker, Gervinho and Arteta. Everything else have been hot prospects or relative unknowns from foreign leagues. Again it's just a very subjective opinion.

He reminds of me playing FM and buying every regen with good potential I can lay my grubby hands in.

Guest Howaythetoon

Wenger is very similar to KK, he's delusianal. He genuinley believes he can create the best side ever on scouting and coaching without spending fortunes, to play the best football ever, if not this year, next or the year after or in time. Which to be fair, he achieved domestically with his unbeaten side, the greatest club side to grace our domestic game for my money. Things have changed since then though, clubs are far richer and can take his best players and can compete for those he has his eyes on. Plus the game has changed, tactics have changed. Wenger is clinging on to his beliefs and that's what's f***ing things up. The best managers adapt, Fergie is the expert. Wenger is a coach though, he always has been and always will be, so his philsophy stems all the way back to coaching ideals, which for him is to improve a player, to improve the team, to improve the results. Fergie is a manager, he managed players, individuals, he manages systems and tactics. Its not as black and white as that of course but it is a factor, for me anyway. KK was a coach too in terms of philosophy, coach a player to become better, team becomes better, results become better. It can work and will, but not always and not every time. You need more.

Regarding Cesc, had Arsenal been more successful I reckon he'd not been as desperate to come here. When he left Arsenal were miles ahead of us.

Anyhow, the tragedy of Wenger is that when the Invincibles were dismantled (and I think that generally he made the good call in letting the likes of Henry/Pires etc... go at the time he did), he banked everything on a group of players that five years down the road have left the club (Nasri, Clichy, Adebayor, Fàbregas...), so now he's back to square one with the added pressure of years of not winning anything.

Now, I am going to make a little exercise.

Schestnut

Sagna Touré  Vermaelen Clichy

Song

Wilshere              Nasri

Fàbregas                   

Adebayor  RVP

Would have this been a trophy-winning side? That's the sort of team that Arsenal would be lining up if Wenger had been able to hold on the players that back in 2006 he devised as the substitutes to the Invincibles (give or take the Eboues, Bendters, Djourous and Diabys)

No question that's a much better side, and illustrates the point I've been trying to make. Four of those players went to Man City, and in the new financial climate, they're difficult for Arsenal to replace.

On a side point, I've often felt that Arsenal's style demands a really top striker to make it work. They need someone comfortable on the ball who can participate in their passing style, but who is also strong enough to get on the end of chances in the penalty area. RVP is the only striker they have who looks the part, and even then not always.

Wenger is very similar to KK, he's delusianal. He genuinley believes he can create the best side ever on scouting and coaching without spending fortunes, to play the best football ever, if not this year, next or the year after or in time. Which to be fair, he achieved domestically with his unbeaten side, the greatest club side to grace our domestic game for my money. Things have changed since then though, clubs are far richer and can take his best players and can compete for those he has his eyes on. Plus the game has changed, tactics have changed. Wenger is clinging on to his beliefs and that's what's f***ing things up. The best managers adapt, Fergie is the expert. Wenger is a coach though, he always has been and always will be, so his philsophy stems all the way back to coaching ideals, which for him is to improve a player, to improve the team, to improve the results. Fergie is a manager, he managed players, individuals, he manages systems and tactics. Its not as black and white as that of course but it is a factor, for me anyway. KK was a coach too in terms of philosophy, coach a player to become better, team becomes better, results become better. It can work and will, but not always and not every time. You need more.

:clap:

I think you're absolutely bang on about Wenger here HTT. Not so sure about KK, mind, but you'd know better than I.

Fact is the real joke is that a slimey, horrible bastard like Redknapp who has 1 trophy to his name (bankrupting a club in the process) is the media's darling while Wenger is being systematically derided and ridiculed.

:lol:

Fact is the real joke is that a slimey, horrible bastard like Redknapp who has 1 trophy to his name (bankrupting a club in the process) is the media's darling while Wenger is being systematically derided and ridiculed.