Liverpool 3 - 0 Newcastle United - 01/05/11 - post 'match' reaction from page 30

Dave

Daglish is very blatantly a top manager. Knew they'd turn things around the second he was announced.

It won't last. They're running on adrenaline atm, the 'magic' will quickly dry up.

You don't need magic when you've got a good spine, ambitious owners and a manager who knows the game inside out.

Ambition? Good business yes, but until they start spending their own cash there's no sign of ambition.

Will he always have £60m to spend on players? People forget he gained two very good strikers in January.

Who are these people forgetting he signed two strikers?

The people who say 'he took them from 12th to 5th. If Woy had those strikers he'd not be in 12th, he got royally f***ed over financially

I don't think anyone forgets them signings tbf

Will he always have £60m to spend on players? People forget he gained two very good strikers in January.

Who are these people forgetting he signed two strikers?

The people who say 'he took them from 12th to 5th. If Woy had those strikers he'd not be in 12th, he got royally f***ed over financially

That's rubbish. Hodgson was woeful in his tactics and player selection.

He set his team not to lose rather than to go out to win.  And he bought Konchesky and continued to play him, when he's got a couple of decent teenagers in the ranks, who are much better than him.

Daglish is very blatantly a top manager. Knew they'd turn things around the second he was announced.

It won't last. They're running on adrenaline atm, the 'magic' will quickly dry up.

You don't need magic when you've got a good spine, ambitious owners and a manager who knows the game inside out.

Ambition? Good business yes, but until they start spending their own cash there's no sign of ambition.

Not being afraid to spend what they generate in sales is a start.

Dalglish had absolutely f*** all to do with the transfers.

Has done reasonably well in getting them to play the football a squad of their value should. Hope he gets the job full-time, they'll win nothing with him in charge.

Based on what?  :lol:

Dalglish had absolutely f*** all to do with the transfers.

Has done reasonably well in getting them to play the football a squad of their value should. Hope he gets the job full-time, they'll win nothing with him in charge.

Based on what?  :lol:

Woman's intuition.

Guest prestonj1989

Just got back. Thought we were well in it at 1-0 and could see us equalising with Jonas looking very dangerous. As soon as the penalty was given the game was over. Williamson cost us the game.

Just got back. Thought we were well in it at 1-0 and could see us equalising with Jonas looking very dangerous. As soon as the penalty was given the game was over. Williamson cost us the game.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened had Barton scored - as he bloody should have tbh - just after half time. Though they were walking it, probably would have just woke them up.

Yes, Williamson making a mistake as a result of sustained pressure was more important that having a League 2 strike force, a clearly unfit centre-mid and less flair than a ward full of coma patients?

Obviously, I realise you mean that point was pivotal, but we'd not have won if S. Taylor had played instead.

Really unlike Williamson as well, that kind of mistake. He's normally acutely aware of his limitations and plays safety first at every opportunity.

Aye, I thought that, he's usually more than happy to put it into Row Z, sometimes too happy.

a very harsh match summary from .com

"A weak header fell to Maxi Rodriguez and his scuffed shot was going to be easily saved by Tim Krul until Simpson inexplicably stuck out his elbow to divert the ball past his 'keeper in front of the travelling fans.

Had the ball not gone in then it would almost certainly have been a penalty and a decent right back must surely be high on Pardew's shopping list as well as a Carroll replacement."

High on the shopping list??? I can think of at least 5 positions i would stregthen before i even thought of a right back!

I dunno, it'd be pretty high up on my priorities too, especially if Barton remains on the right - there's acres of space ahead of him that remain permanently unexploited because of his lack of attacking presence, and it's not as he's Paolo Maldini in the defensive stakes either to compensate. A good squad player to have for sure, but in terms of active contribution to the team going forward or defensively I don't think he has enough in either department to hold a first team slot.

Agreed. Simpson is utter gash going forward. Hate the way he runs with the ball too, both feet flat and waddling like a duck.

You can't fault Dalglish so far.He's had the courage to sell their biggest name and improved them in the process.They will be thereabouts next season when the trophies are being decided.

Courage is an interesting word to use there. Would you say Pards had used 'courage' in selling Carroll? My guess would be that neither manager had a say in the strikers moving on.

Guest prestonj1989

Yes, Williamson making a mistake as a result of sustained pressure was more important that having a League 2 strike force, a clearly unfit centre-mid and less flair than a ward full of coma patients?

Obviously, I realise you mean that point was pivotal, but we'd not have won if S. Taylor had played instead.

I didn't think we were under much pressure at that point, we had a good period of possession. I probably am going a little over the top saying he cost the game but it was very frustrating at the time as it totally killed the match.

Other things I noticed included Kuqi's first touch, it was like he had never seen a ball in his life. Also my brother (sitting in Kop) said the Liverpool fans were stunned by the weight Nolan had put on since the last time they had seen him at Anfield.

Pardew had nowt to lose, though. Daglish did.

I don't think he had the ability to stop that move going through once Chelsea had offered £50m to be honest. He did however know he'd get funds once Torres had left.

Williamson didn't even give away a penalty. It was a freekick on the edge of the box tbh.

He was poor, but he hardly 'cost us the game'.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened had Barton scored - as he bloody should have tbh - just after half time. Though they were walking it, probably would have just woke them up.

Well it did. Liverpool switched on as soon as we went close to scoring.

Liverpool strolled it. They had several gears they could have shifted through had they needed to.

We had the bonnet up and were scratching our bollocks staring blankly at the engine

Liverpool strolled it. They had several gears they could have shifted through had they needed to.

We had the bonnet up and were scratching our bollocks staring blankly at the engine

Don't see anything to debate in that, what I'm curious about is where is the team that drew 0-0 with ManU just 2 games ago? Is the team spirit all but gone or is there some other reason for wildly oscillating commitment and teamwork?

Don't see anything to debate in that, what I'm curious about is where is the team that drew 0-0 with ManU just 2 games ago? Is the team spirit all but gone or is there some other reason for wildly oscillating commitment and teamwork?

Same team spirit imo. We started slow, conceded a jammy goal, could easily have gone level but then conceded a stupid penalty and then the players started not being bothered for somewhat understandable reasons.

We could start every match against the best teams with the exact same team spirit but sometimes we'll get lucky, sometimes we'll be unlucky.

At the end of the day we're just not a very good side with the players we have available right now so against these teams we'll usually not get a result unless we ride our luck.

I like the idea of KK as Dalglish's nemesis.

At one point the commentator and Burley discussed what effect Dalglish has had at Liverpool "other than his natural character and personality." The man's got the natural character of a doorframe, there's not a more dour person in football.

Disagree like, think he just comes across as dry, which is a good thing. Really liked his interviews when he was here. Great manager too, I'll never really understand/get over why he didn't work out here.

Really enjoyed today. Carroll was a nice distraction.

One of the major reasons he didn't work out here was because he sold flair players and bought carthorses. Then proceeded to play defensive, fearful football. But he did well while he had the use of Keegan's players similar to how he's doing well with the players he's inherited at Anfield.

Guest neesy111

Ronaldo - he did dismantle that side that finished 2nd in 96/97 when there was no need to. It just need a bit of tinkering with, rather than pulling to bits.

it was already dismantling,hence why keegan skipped out when told he couldn't have oodles more to rebuild.

KK went because the club decided to become a PLC and the power would then lie with the suits in London. Hence why Ferdinand was sold ultimately.

Erm, Ferdinand was sold to pay for the pathetic buy for 4.5M for Pistone.  Great business that Kenny.

After there first usual deflected goal that goes in against us seemingly every game, we had possession at 77% - 33% I think. If only Ameobi didn`t loose the ball under his own feet and strike the ball softer than my 7yr old or Loven didnt play the ball back to Reina with that cushioned header we could have turned it around easily.