NUFC summer activity prediction thread

Pilko

I don't see paying out of our transfer kitty all wages coming in, but I think there has to be some balance, we will have a salary limit, something ashely thinks is acceptable for our income. At it's peak last season we at least have carroll's, Sols and nolans wages to come off and with our 3 new signings coming on its not going to be too far off that peak level ATM, it's probably around the same, maybe slightly more.

Makes it even more important to get rid of smith, maybe Raylor as well, those two off the books allows us to bring in two big money signings, without having to put extra in from our transfer kitty to offset the wages. I'd ship harper too, he's on a massive wage considering his talent.

Right now there is still a lot of money to spend, people saying the free transfers are eating £15m of our Carroll money over 5 years are completely wrong, we are just paying our wages to different invididuals and the out goings are almost the same.

Imo RB should be priority after a striker/s, especially if we're gonna play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3!

Simpson is going to be a very weak link, even more so in one of these systems, mostly defensively

But also in the offensive half where he's simply not good enough either.

Very important position when playing like this, a lot more than in the usual 4-4-2.

There's a question about Enrique's situation.  Say, if he decided to stay and walk away for free next summer, and we failed to find a buyer, should we bring in a replacement now or next summer?

M'Bengue is a good replacement, probably cost 8m or more, and there's no guarantee that such kinda replacement would be available next summer. If he is available now and Enrique's not going to stay, we should get him before we sold Enrique (if we can).

I don't see paying out of our transfer kitty all wages coming in, but I think there has to be some balance, we will have a salary limit, something ashely thinks is acceptable for our income. At it's peak last season we at least have carroll's, Sols and nolans wages to come off and with our 3 new signings coming on its not going to be too far off that peak level ATM, it's probably around the same, maybe slightly more.

Makes it even more important to get rid of smith, maybe Raylor as well, those two off the books allows us to bring in two big money signings, without having to put extra in from our transfer kitty to offset the wages. I'd ship harper too, he's on a massive wage considering his talent.

Right now there is still a lot of money to spend, people saying the free transfers are eating £15m of our Carroll money over 5 years are completely wrong, we are just paying our wages to different invididuals and the out goings are almost the same.

For me Harper, Perch, R. Taylor, Smith, LuaLua, Routledge, Lovenkrands, Ranger and Xisco should all be up for sale before anybody else.

I'd be very happy to keep everyone else (currently 23 senior players if you include Soderberg as 3rd choice 'keeper, Kadar, Ferguson, Vuckic and Abeid) and add a good few more.

And obviously, not all those listed up there will actually leave.

Just to note as well, if all of those went and we kept the remainder I'd hope we'd bring in a right-back, left-back (Neil Taylor?), centre-back and striker (Erdinç?) at the least (without losing any more).

That would leave us with two senior players for each position, while having those five younger players mentioned as emergency options - plus the likes of Tavernier, Sa. Ameobi, Inman, Donaldson, Richardson and Airey for bench-filling slots in those emergency situations.

With the Best story and other murmurings, I will be surprised if we're only in the market for 4 more players though.

Pleased too but I'm reserved in my optimism about spending big sums on single players.  If we top 10m for a single player this summer I'll be shocked. 

I don't agree.  We are just 2-3 players away from enough. Probably just a right back, striker and midfielder, and we still got 30m to spend.  It is meaningless if we spend those money on 5-6 players now because we won't play them all as starter.  We should target players that can definitely starting for us and so they are likely to cost a lot higher.

Well, unless Carr can spot a few more bargains, but I really doubt that.

It's been a fascinating transfer window so far. Some fairly random thoughts...

1. We've obviously thought everything through pretty carefully in advance. That's good to see. The early bird catches the Bosmans.

2. We've become pretty hardball on negotiations with the older players whose contracts are running down. It's clear that we presented deals to Nolan and Barton and that was it: If you want to stay with us here are the terms, take it, or run out your contract, or leave on a transfer. We're not actually negotiating. This may change once the old high-earners have all moved on.

3. Enrique an exception because his best years are still ahead of him. In this instance it's the player who's not negotiating. The Enrique situation also puts the lie to the idea that we're looking to move on all of our best players. We clearly want to keep him, but he thinks he can do better.

4. No one is sacred and every player has their price. It's certainly the Tottenham model (Carrick, Berbatov) to accept bids for players if they exceed valuation (Carroll, possibly Nolan could be looked at like this, and certainly Best if we can get £4 million for him).

5. Notion that we're replacing too much experience with PL-untested players is a reasonable worry.

6. The club's aim is to pull off the difficult trick of improving the team/squad while reducing the wage bill, and this is the context in which it all has to be understood. Sure, there are risks involved. It's a tight-rope act. But I think we're looking reasonably steady up there.

1. We've obviously thought everything through pretty carefully in advance. That's good to see. The early bird catches the Bosmans.

2. We've become pretty hardball on negotiations with the older players whose contracts are running down. It's clear that we presented deals to Nolan and Barton and that was it: If you want to stay with us here are the terms, take it, or run out your contract, or leave on a transfer. We're not actually negotiating. This may change once the old high-earners have all moved on.

3. Enrique an exception because his best years are still ahead of him. In this instance it's the player who's not negotiating. The Enrique situation also puts the lie to the idea that we're looking to move on all of our best players. We clearly want to keep him, but he thinks he can do better.

4. No one is sacred and every player has their price. It's certainly the Tottenham model (Carrick, Berbatov) to accept bids for players if they exceed valuation (Carroll, possibly Nolan could be looked at like this, and certainly Best if we can get £4 million for him).

5. Notion that we're replacing too much experience with PL-untested players is a reasonable worry.

6. The club's aim is to pull off the difficult trick of improving the team/squad while reducing the wage bill, and this is the context in which it all has to be understood. Sure, there are risks involved. It's a tight-rope act. But I think we're looking reasonably steady up there.

Good post. My 2 major concerns so far would be 5 and 2, 2 especially as I think there's a big value in keeping senior players and economically speaking good older players usually have earned decent contracts. It brings up a bit of a paradox in the sense that we cant/won't offer good senior players who's experience are priceless the kind of contracts they're experience and ability warrants.

Not sure if any of that makes sense!!

I was back in the saddle before any movement, tbf, but I know what you mean.

(Was a very good post by Ozzie, calmly sums everything up as it appears to stand.)

:thup:

Getting everyone to gel will be the key. It's a brave move to rebuild the whole midfield and attack model but I'm 100% in favour.

Good post. My 2 major concerns so far would be 5 and 2, 2 especially as I think there's a big value in keeping senior players and economically speaking good older players usually have earned decent contracts. It brings up a bit of a paradox in the sense that we cant/won't offer good senior players who's experience are priceless the kind of contracts they're experience and ability warrants.

Not sure if any of that makes sense!!

It seems the club basically offended both Nolan and Barton by offering terms but refusing to discuss them, when the players' agents were coming along prepared with a negotiating position. In a way I think the club's right not to get involved in these contract games. We've clearly thought it through -- OK, if we we're going to keep this player, then this is how far we're prepared to go. They've decided how much they think the experience you speak of is worth.

In a general sense, given the overall financial lunacy of football -- unprecedented riches coming in but even big clubs in deep financial problems because all the money is going to the players -- it's about time someone stood up to it. I'm not sure I would have chosen for us to be in the vanguard here, but there we are.

Guest geordienorway

As much a gamble replacing players with experience in the Premiership with untested players from abroad is, the fact that we have moved swiftly allows the team enough time to create a decent understanding. I'd be more worried if these signings were made in the latter stages of the window.

theres something very impressive about the way we're swiftly buying players. this summer has been meticuloulsy planned for months, so maybe its no surprise. quality players are choosing us for our 'vision', which - whatever it is - is encouraging.

on the flip side, we'll be selling pivotal players. this giant summer gamble will either backfire massively (the missing team spirit) or work handsomely (the vastly improved quality). i think this summer will be the end of me  ;D emotionally draining stuff.

As much a gamble replacing players with experience in the Premiership with untested players from abroad is, the fact that we have moved swiftly allows the team enough time to create a decent understanding. I'd be more worried if these signings were made in the latter stages of the window.

Very true. When did we last have a full pre-season with a bunch of new players?

Very true. When did we last have a full pre-season with a bunch of new players?

season ferdinand signed?

Looking good so far but we'll need a few more yet, before the window opened I thought we needed a striker, RW, RB and a CB and even though we've got Ba I still think we need to recruit in those positions.

I'm glad we're looking to strengthen the attack as I thought the amount of goals scored last season didn't give a true reading of how good we were going forward.