Mehdi Abeid joins Panathinaikos

Colocho

Bigirimana seems to be ahead of him in the pecking order despite being a year younger.

He didn't even make the bench in either of the games v Atromitos, and I just saw this on .COM:

PS: A first senior selection of Mehdi Abeid by Algeria for their African Nations Cup qualifier against Libya didn't materialise, amid press claims that the United midfielder could be set to join a Turkish side on loan.

Wasn't that long ago that Pardew was talking about him pushing for a 1st team place, but maybe with Bigiramana, Vuckic, and Gosling ahead of him as well as Anita, Cabaye, Tiote, and possibly Amalfitano (if he plays in the middle) Pardew reckons a loan is better for him. Would prefer a loan to a championship club though.

Bigi and Abeid both play totally different central midfield roles though.

I sort of wondered why he wasn't in the squad for Atromitos - thought he did very well pre-season and was one of our better performers.  If we send him out on loan though I'd definitely want a recall option on it.

He was injured. Probably still is.

I sort of wondered why he wasn't in the squad for Atromitos - thought he did very well pre-season and was one of our better performers.  If we send him out on loan though I'd definitely want a recall option on it.

Oh right, I was thinking that's what it must have been but I'd never seen anything.  Cheers for shedding some light on that.

In all seriousness I saw him put in a very competent and composed performance in the league cup against Forrest last season, albeit against a surprisingly weak team. 

Strong in the tackle, quick to pick a pass.  Didn't look like a youngster with little first team experience.

I don't know how high he ever was on the ladder, but he appears to be slipping right down near the bottom now. I think we are going to probably let him go soon. His he any good?

Are you that knob off ESPN who was essentially advocating that Vuckic might as well retire because he passed instead of taking a shot? :lol:

Honestly, have a word.

I don't know how high he ever was on the ladder, but he appears to be slipping right down near the bottom now. I think we are going to probably let him go soon. His he any good?

Are you that knob off ESPN who was essentially advocating that Vuckic might as well retire because he passed instead of taking a shot? :lol:

:lol:

I love ESPN but yeah, that was a low point for their coverage...i prefer ESPN, minus Waddle's attempt at speaking, to sky sports though...

Played the full 90 mins v Spurs reserves on 18th August and was on the pitch at half time with the rest of the development squad kicking a ball about  v Atromitos at home. Don't think hes injured.

Some of you lot must be surfing the big crimson wave at the moment, keep your rags on. I was just wondering why Abeid who has been written up as the next big thing seems to be suddenly way down the pecking order, probably about our 10th choice midfielder. He doesn't appear to be injured but can't even get in the squad for the Europa games. Maybe you all know something I don't but I don't think so.

Played the full 90 mins v Spurs reserves on 18th August and was on the pitch at half time with the rest of the development squad kicking a ball about  v Atromitos at home. Don't think hes injured.

About a week ago (night before the home leg) he tweeted about football being unfair sometimes, then deleted it. That's all I'm going off tbh.

Some of you lot must be surfing the big crimson wave at the moment, keep your rags on. I was just wondering why Abeid who has been written up as the next big thing seems to be suddenly way down the pecking order, probably about our 10th choice midfielder. He doesn't appear to be injured but can't even get in the squad for the Europa games. Maybe you all know something I don't but I don't think so.

Don't recall him ever being written up as the next big thing.

he still got gosling & vuckic in front of him... will be hard for him to get 1st team experience.

Wouldn't think either a too great an obstacle, actually. Gosling's not really had a good game for us yet and Vuckic is competing for a different position.

he still got gosling & vuckic in front of him... will be hard for him to get 1st team experience.

Wouldn't think either a too great an obstacle, actually. Gosling's not really had a good game for us yet and Vuckic is competing for a different position.

Aye, it's rather Bigi that's pushed him down the pecking order.

I'd imagine Gosling is ahead of Abeid because of his profile. He came to the club with the intention of pushing for a first team place rather than as a hot prospect. Not saying it's right, as Abeid in my opinion has shown more to suggest he has something about him than Gosling has, but I guess there's more "pressure" to play Gosling.

Not sure why Bigi would push him down the pecking order when they are totally different players.

Bigi seems to be a more distributor and intercepting kind of player while Abeid seem's to be a more final pass and scoring goals now and again type of player.

Both could easily play together in the future.