Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

@WayneRooney Wayne Rooney

the manager and I have no issues and anyone who says different don't know what they are talking about

1 minute ago

@danroan Dan Roan

Utd & Rooney issue joint statement: "We can assure all fans any suggestion that MU and WR are to part company is complete nonsense."

55 seconds ago

@WayneRooney Wayne Rooney

The independent are talking absolute rubbish my future is with Manchester United and the club and I are totally commited to each other

3 minutes ago

(I already played this card and it led to a nice break and ding ding ding ding)

very odd they've reacted so quickly and strongly to this, most curious

Not really IMO. It's a major piece in the Independent (four full pages it says), one that's spread like wildfire in minutes. It's a testament to social media; on the one hand it can give any old knacker a voice but on the other it lets organisations and individuals make newspaper stories redundant hours before the paper even goes to print.

I doubt they'd have it so prominent if it wasn't well sourced, but if it's true they obviously didn't plan on revealing it tomorrow. Could be a big mistake by independent, could well be true, not like denials mean anything.

On the other hand it could well be a very well sourced and reasonable article that United are considering selling him next summer, and the sub-editor has turned it into a massive story with a misleading headline. In fact that seems quite likely.

Guest Chubby Jason

There will be something to this or they wouldn't have run with it so strongly. This denial will be to prevent any more negative press but there will definitely be something in what the Indy are reporting.

Guest Chubby Jason

The bloke is a moron who behaved disgracefully not too long ago, banging on about wanting to leave to get himself a fat new contract. He also goes for months on end playing terribly before finding any form. Him leaving in the summer (not Jan) would not be a disaster for Man United at all.

This story is nicely timed to overshadow Rooney's lack of form on the pitch this season, barring the start of the season when Man Utd were flying.

The bottom line is that for whatever reason, he's not fulfilling his potential.

The bloke is a moron who behaved disgracefully not too long ago, banging on about wanting to leave to get himself a fat new contract. He also goes for months on end playing terribly before finding any form. Him leaving in the summer (not Jan) would not be a disaster for Man United at all.

If they got in a good enough replacement it wouldn't, no.

Raphael Honigstein getting it right on twitter methinks

@honigstein: ..here's how it goes. a hypothetical case. 1. Club or manager unhappy with big player but afraid to say so publicly.

@honigstein: 2. newspaper briefed off the record about that unhappiness. 3. story comes out, making it a major topic, putting pressure on player

@honigstein: 4. Club/manager go on the record, stating that story not true. 5. paper look silly but will suck it up in order to get next story

@honigstein: 6. fans blame anti-xyz bias in media and club/manager say "we all need to stick together now". 7. Go to 1. Run