Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

To be a success he's going to a) need the ball and b) have some movement.

We are a pretty static side and last night showed it. Shola is immobile, Jonas rarely makes an off the ball run and neither does Barton. Tiote's job is to stay behind Cabaye. Only Ba and Obertan made attempts to move off the ball last night and they weren't even on the pitch at the same time. He's a great passer but it's a useless if only 1 player makes the effort to make the space.

He worked his socks off yesterday but we need more movement to get the best out of Cabaye, as Gallowgate Toon said. Seriously I dread to think what the score would have been yesterday had Nolan been playing instead. Cabaye is class, with the return of Ben Arfa and hopefully more pacey outlets, we should be a totally different prospect. I can't wait.

We are a pretty static side and last night showed it. Shola is immobile, Jonas rarely makes an off the ball run and neither does Barton. Tiote's job is to stay behind Cabaye. Only Ba and Obertan made attempts to move off the ball last night and they weren't even on the pitch at the same time. He's a great passer but it's a useless if only 1 player makes the effort to make the space.

Great point about the movement of our wide players.

Never threaten to get in behind, and it's one reason I would not at all be fussed with Barton being moved on.He's way to static on the right side.

Jonas is the same. Tends to wait for the ball so he can then run with it, rather than make the run in behind.

Obertan looked to do this much more and Cabaye linked up with him well a few times after he came on.

We bypassed the midfield too often, we had Shola up top, we were playing Arsenal, first game with Cheik and it was his first game in the premier league.  All that considered, he still looked half decent to me.  Get Tiote sitting deep and look to get Cabaye on the ball a lot more further up the pitch, against teams outside the top 4 he's going to be a very effective player IMO.  Still put a shift in to be fair.

This is a good point.  Still got Marveaux, Obertan, HBA and hopefully a new striker to come in and get some minutes.  Hopefully inject a bit of pace and movement.

Looked knackered by the time he went off. Can't imagine he's played in that many games where he's had to work so hard without seeing much of the ball. Think Barton drifted a bit too central during the first half which didn't allow him to get on the ball as much as he'd like, but he certainly looked promising. Wasn't great by any means, but worked really hard and I'm looking forward to him getting settled at the club.

Pardew told the BBC he ended up playing more defensively than planned and he'll be expected to get forward more in other games.

Thank fuck for that. I was scratching my head as to why Tiote was the furthest forward of the two. Hopefully against lesser opponents Cabaye will own.

Pardew told the BBC he ended up playing more defensively than planned and he'll be expected to get forward more in other games.

Thank f*** for that. I was scratching my head as to why Tiote was the furthest forward of the two. Hopefully against lesser opponents Cabaye will own.

He got further forward in the second half though, as he found his feet

Thank f*** for that. I was scratching my head as to why Tiote was the furthest forward of the two. Hopefully against lesser opponents Cabaye will own.

Aye this is true, but then after a run forward he was absolutely fucked :lol:

Aye this is true, but then after a run forward he was absolutely f***ed :lol:

Was he?  I couldn't see that as I was at t'other end

Want to see him as part of a trio next weekend. Barton - Tiote - Cabaye. Reckon we'd be onto a winner there, like.

Would be similar to how he played for Lille. Have we got the strikers for a 4-3-3 though? Ba left, Shola middle and Obertan right?

Guest Heneage

Want to see him as part of a trio next weekend. Barton - Tiote - Cabaye. Reckon we'd be onto a winner there, like.

Would be similar to how he played for Lille. Have we got the strikers for a 4-3-3 though? Ba left, Shola middle and Obertan right?

Jonas        Obertan

Ba

Not against Sunderland :nope:

Don't see why not. Two wingers off a striker doesn't have to be negative. We might actually have the personnel to make it quite a diverse formation, rather than either/or. (Attacking or defensive). Plus, with Obertan's tendency to revert to off the striker, we could interchange between 4-4-1-1 and 4-5-1 depending on the game.

It's all theoretical, obviously, but i think it's a formula worth trying as it could be our best as things stand. We'd need a left-back though, cos without, Raylor/Perch will need constant protection from Jonas.

In Soccernet's team of the week:

Given the paucity of goals on the opening weekend, it's no surprise we've elected to go with a five-man midfield, kick-started by Newcastle's Yohan Cabaye. The 25-year-old offered glimpses of the quality that helped propel Lille to the Ligue 1 last season as he held his own in the face of the Premier League's slickest passing unit. Mobile, with the proverbial 'good engine' Cabaye gave Toon fans hope he could prove the perfect accompaniment to Chiek Tiote in the heart of Newcastle's midfield.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/943901/team-of-the-week:-august-14,-2011?cc=5901

Becomes less meaningful when you see that he opted for Saylor over Colo.