Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

"Perch not fit to lace Aaron Hughes' boots"

"Cabaye not worth £10 million lyk"

"Dembele makes Cabaye look like Jeff Whitley"

"Marveaux is worse than me nan"

"Danny Simpson is God"

All actual quotes.

:lol: Areet Kim Jong-Il, top one is real-ish though I think.

:lol:

Think it was more due to Shepherd than Souness regarding the sale of Hughes as he bragged about the great piece of business to get rid of Hughes for £1m, and replace him with free agent Craig Moore. :lol:

Aaron Hughes has played about 220 PL games since we let him go for £1 million. I know it's oft said, but that is still for me one of the worst decisions Sir Bob made.

Very good PL player. Underrated even.

Guest neesy111

Can you imagine how much better of we'd be if we'd had those 220 games, man? Clueless fucking idiot Souness is.

We sold him and Bellamy for £6.5m and replaced them with Boumsong and Owen for  £24m utterly mental!

Guest neesy111

Was absolutely garbage at Villa wasn't he? Pretty forgettable player Hughes, really.

Guess you didn't watch NUFC much between 1999 and 2005 then when hughes was our must prominent player in the back 4.

Guest neesy111

I'd take Hughes over Williamson any day.

I'd take most defenders over Williamson, mind.

Boumsong, O'brien, Huntington etc

I still think Hughes is looked back on fonder than what he was thought of when he was actually here. He was a dependable player no doubt but no great shakes either and I must have missed the uproar when he was sold for a pittance because I don't remember that either.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked him but he is almost seen as some defensive lynchpin now which he never was. He was atrocious at Villa but some players just don't seem to work at certain clubs, he really has worked at Fulham however where he has probably been better than he was here.

I would have definitely taken him back/never sold him but he isn't a massive loss that I will look back upon thinking what if, like I would Bellamy (and even then his departure was softened a little by his behavior).

Guest Roger Kint

Some of AH's best performances were in Europe when SBR sent him out to man mark the opposition's most creative player. Played that role superbly.

That game against Totti he was great and barely gave him a touch(after they conned a pen out of us)