Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Wasn't at his best tonight, but even when he isn't, he remains a cut above what we've had there in the past purely down to his diversity of passing, and the fact he offers himself over every single blade of grass. Vital player.

I don't think you can knock his effort and application, grafts his balls off. Like Ronaldo says though he's hit and miss as an attacking force. When he gets on the ball and dictates play he's immense though, give him time and he'll be doing it on a regular basis. We haven't seen the best of him just yet.

Great ball for Ba that Begovic kept out (that looked like studs up, knee-high to me btw), but quiet on the ball apart from that. Ran his arse off though, remember when he misplaced an easy pass in the second half and he just got his head down and sprinted back to repair his mistake.

I don't think you can knock his effort and application, grafts his balls off. Like Ronaldo says though he's hit and miss as an attacking force. When he gets on the ball and dictates play he's immense though, give him time and he'll be doing it on a regular basis. We haven't seen the best of him just yet.

Despite him being amazing, he still needs time to settle into the game over here. Its great he has been able to perform so well but he should improve his game as he gets more used to the pace and style of the opposition.

I think overall this season he's been deployed in a much more defensive nature than he really wants to be.  That being said he still shows up all over the pitch and has a killer engine in him.  For every pass he's not making (and therefore being rated badly by some) he's there blocking/stopping an opposition pass.  He won't always be flashy but he's been solid as hell and a revelation for our squad since day one.

Despite him being amazing, he still needs time to settle into the game over here. Its great he has been able to perform so well but he should improve his game as he gets more used to the pace and style of the opposition.

Reminds me of aquilani but has the work rate and nasty side to his game to actually play in the league without being a passenger while he sorts out the conditions

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

No doubt he would have had Ba in for another goal on that ball in that Begovic cleared if Stoke didn't play on a pitch for 10 year olds.

Was never a game for someone like him to shine, it's a right bitch playing in matches where you don't get many touches and you're bypassed 90% of the time.  Still showed the odd glimpse though and put a real shift in, not afraid to get stuck in either. 

Feisty little f***er as well, cheeky sod is learning English ok, told the linesman to f*** off/you're f***ing joking or something similar  :laugh:

His two worst games have come for us, on small pitches in games where we have sat deep and played a lot of long balls, coincidence?  I think not. 

He covers so much ground. Honestly, apart from misplacing a few passes, this is how Xavi would look in black and white. He's a tough bastard, loves to put his foot in, constantly pressures the opposition and has so much quality on the ball. His ball over the top to Ba was beautiful, and he generally made the right decision when we were under pressure. I know Coloccini is the captain but this guy is also captain material; he never looks fazed or scared. Fucking awesome.

I wasn't being completely serious :lol:

He has so much class about his game. He doesn't seem to know whether to position himself all the time yet, whether to drop deep to pick up the ball or float into space to do more damage, but that's part of the settling in phase, I suppose, which is why he seems to disappear from the game when we're attacking at times. When he's fully settled, everything will go through him.

Great great player to watch, didn't get everything right last night but still ran his socks off with Guthrie and played two balls perfectly to our strikers. Once again I feel he got by many on the matchthread an unfairly low rating.