Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Just trying to imagine Iniesta talking about Cattermole or Xavi talking about Stadium of Light  :lol: :lol:

Sure it wasn't too long ago they were getting a wide-on about Iniesta having played there when he was a kid for Spain, that same tournament Le Tallec and Pongolle ripped England apart.

Catts for me, like.

:lol: Best usage I've seen in a while.

I don't know, this is pretty close.

When interviewed earlier on today about Yohan Cabaye's exclusion, Blanc was quoted as saying "Catts pour moi, like"

Just trying to imagine Iniesta talking about Cattermole or Xavi talking about Stadium of Light  :lol: :lol:

Sure it wasn't too long ago they were getting a wide-on about Iniesta having played there when he was a kid for Spain, that same tournament Le Tallec and Pongolle ripped England apart.

Aye, he also played at Durham City's ground in that tournament... OMGz

He's going to be absolutely quality for us next season.

If we go 433.

Agree entirely. It'll be so frustrating if we completely abandon that just because it's a new season - it was clearly an absolutely class formation that was tailored for pretty much everyone in the side. As if six wins in a row (best run for 16 years or something was it?) wasn't enough proof.

It was better for Cabaye cos it let him get forward, it was better for Jonas cos it allowed him to roam, it was better for Hatem because he likes to cut in from the right, it was better for Cisse cos it provided him with many chances. The only player it didn't particularly favour was Ba, but it wasn't as if he performed badly in the role; he was an integral part of the best football we played all season (WBA away).

I won't deny that varying the formation depending on opposition is a good idea - the Chelsea game was a perfect example of that. But i'd hope that we went 4-3-3 for the vast majority of home games.

The last match of the season has concerned me because we went 4-4-2 (when there was no reason to), and we were absolutely abysmal.

Cabaye has become almost Schweignsteiger like in his importance for club and country.... not only does playmake and score goals but he also destroys opposition attacks he will be absolutely vital today if France are going to get anything.

Over 200 tackles and interceptions last season for NUFC along with the assists, goals and chances created despite being deployed in a very deep position speaks volumes of how complete a player he is.

I cant wait to see how big he becomes for us if we switch to 4-3-3 with him as the most furthest forward midfielder..... the tackles and interceptions will probably go down but the goals, assists and chances created will probably sky rocket.

Saying that though, two of his best games were in a 4-4-2. Villa away and Man U at home.

Yeah, but if i recall he almost let Tiote do all the defensive work in both games and just did what you see him do for France usually he was free'd up a lot more in those games than the usual holding midfielder in 4-4-2 it was almost like Tiote sat and Cabaye infront of him instead of alongside him.

Obviously in a 4-3-3 Cabaye can do this more often knowing there will be 2 players behind him sitting and protecting so he doesnt have to worry about it.

He's fantastic in both systems IMO, for different reasons but 4-4-2 i do feel restricts a lot more than 4-3-3 does.

Big article on him in our biggest newspaper over here. Says he's integral to everything they do and has proven himself one of the best players in the tournament. Him containing Iniesta tonight will be key for them.

Cabaye has to stop Xavi.....Iniesta will have to be dealt with by Debuchy as he plays outwide for Spain, just like how Clichy will have to deal with Silva....

Although if either one comes inside then Diarra or M'vila will have to stop them.... that's if France line up how i think they will.

All this pre-match Cabaye praise = guaranteed stinker :lol:

He's only had 1 decent game anyway IMO. Didn't really shine v England.

Au contraire mon ami. I thought he had a very good first game. He kept the ball moving and fed Nasri and Ribery time and time again. Also had a few good efforts on target. The standout performer for France by a mile in this tournament.