Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Explains why we are still to bid for a replacement. Joe should be able to drag these out until late tomorrow at which point our self imposed transfer deadline kicks in.

We will drag it out as long as possible so we can trot out the lack of time/too expensive excuse.

Samuel ‏@samuelj29060 1 min

L'Equipe say Cabaye to PSG done. £16.5m initial fee, could rise to £20.6m. Contract until 2017. #nufc

Francois Piraux ‏@F8Piraux 2 mins

PSG President Nasser Al-Khelaïfi : "We chose #Cabaye for 3 reasons : he is a good player, a nice guy and he is french." #PSG #NUFC

Expand

Apparently they have a list of French players to recruit. Ribery , Pogba etc..

They're not that many good french footballers right now, I mean top-class players, so they recruited the bests or the promising ones Digne,Cabaye, Pogba and Griezmann next summer and that's probably it.

I guess it's beneficial for homegrown purposes in the CL to pick up frenchies, and they have less of an issue competing with Monaco when it comes to French citizens, given the level playing field, tax-wise. Probably worth PSG gambling on a handful of French types and letting most of them rot in the reserves, ala Scott Sinclair.

First options are the most overrated thing in football. You'll still have to agree a fee with the club, and after that the player. They are at most obliged to let you speak to the player first if you match any transfer fee they demand.

First options are the most overrated thing in football. You'll still have to agree a fee with the club, and after that the player. They are at most obliged to let you speak to the player first if you match any transfer fee they demand.

Apart from the Webster ruling, obviously :lol:

Apart from the Webster ruling, obviously :lol:

I can't disagree with that. :lol:

Are there any mega rich Arab princes or Russian Oil billionaires or whatever left who might be looking to buy a football club, surely we are an attractive proposition now, just look at our bottom line ? 

Guest VanBarduck

Are there any mega rich Arab princes or Russian Oil billionaires or whatever left who might be looking to buy a football club, surely we are an attractive proposition now, just look at our bottom line ?

Indonesians are next.

I'm sure there is one russian billionaire who is actually a Newcastle fan

Be careful what you wish for. We could have a Vincent Tan just as easily as we could get a Sheikh Mansour.

Guest Roger Kint

I'm sure there is one russian billionaire who is actually a Newcastle fan

Not that again please? :lol:

Be careful what you wish for. We could have a Vincent Tan just as easily as we could get a Sheikh Mansour.

I know, but would rather at this stage roll those dice, things at this football club are just so meh right now, we need someone capable of creating a bit of excitement once again,. I totally envy the PSG fan and before him the Man Shitty and Chelsea fans, these owners have taken their dreams for their clubs and made them reality, and we have are far bigger base than all these sides had prior to their takeovers, why can't it happen to us ?

And the example with Tan, is kind of two edged, yeah the bloke is mad and I wouldn't  want him near our club, but he's taken Cardiff and made them relevant got them into the PL. It's relative success. Unfortunately it's a money oriented business and it's just our sodding luck to have one the the riches people in the UK own us but runs us in the most financially prudent way imaginable because that';s what he gets his kicks from. Unlike other Billionaires that are in this for the fun and prestige.

Really hope that £16m fee isn't true. Be an insult if he leaves for that little. Not because I think for one second it would get spent on a replacement but just thinking about some of the dross that has gone for more in this league alone makes a fee that low for someone of Cabaye's quality a joke.

Really hope that £16m fee isn't true. Be an insult if he leaves for that little. Not because I think for one second it would get spent on a replacement but just thinking about some of the dross that has gone for more in this league alone makes a fee that low for someone of Cabaye's quality a joke.

The fee really doesn't matter though, it's irrelevant because we know it won't be reinvested. I didn't care what we got, I just wanted to keep the player.

Eurosport.fr reporting 20million + 5million in bonus payments. That is in euro's I'd believe. Decent bit of money if we didn't have the owners we do have...

Also, on the site they have a survey. Who is the biggest loser with the arrival of Cabaye? (between Cabaye, Verrati, Motta and Matuidi) 56% voted for Cabaye...

The fee really doesn't matter though, it's irrelevant because we know it won't be reinvested. I didn't care what we got, I just wanted to keep the player.

I know for us it's irrelevant as they won't reinvest and we don't get to watch him play for us anymore.

But if it was a crazy offer you could sort of understand them letting him go. But to take our possible best and most influential player out of the team for a measly £16m feels a bit like, why?

I mean surely if they aren't offering silly money then you hold on to him and if he has a good end to the season/world cup then surely a Man U or someone would stump up far more than that.

My own gut feeling is that the £16.5m figure is being put about to try and convince the likes of Lyon and Montpelier that we haven't received silly money. It does seem rather bizarre it was being reported as substantially more than £14m last night and now it's done to 20m Euros.

I'll not be shocked when he sits on the bench for them. It's a depth move, to help them cope with the added matches of the CL.

I think he'll start regularly in the league, freeing up other mids for the champions league games coming up.

Eurosport.fr reporting 20million + 5million in bonus payments. That is in euro's I'd believe. Decent bit of money if we didn't have the owners we do have...

Also, on the site they have a survey. Who is the biggest loser with the arrival of Cabaye? (between Cabaye, Verrati, Motta and Matuidi) 56% voted for Cabaye...

He's certainly taking a big risk.

Do you think Cabaye got the skill to play with Motta and Verratti ? and Ibrahimovic/Cavani want some good balls in their feet or when they moving.

Cabaye in France isn't considered as "a top player", a good player but not a top one.... that's why i ask.

Fuck off

PSG founded in the 70s. Shit club. Worst fans in Ligue 1. Allez l'OM.

Do you think Cabaye got the skill to play with Motta and Verratti ? and Ibrahimovic/Cavani want some good balls in their feet or when they moving.

Cabaye in France isn't considered as "a top player", a good player but not a top one.... that's why i ask.

f*** off

PSG founded in the 70s. s*** club. Worst fans in Ligue 1. Allez l'OM.

2nd worse after Monaco imo.