Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

That Swansea game i think we did, i have seen Mourinho teams do it many times over the years ( as in have hardly any of the ball but in complete control) I don't think there was many other times that season where it was the case though.

They're two different things though; 'controlling a game' to me requires control through the midfield, whereas being solid defensively to the point where the other team know they can't break you down just isn't the same thing.

Disagree tbh, you can have control in a number of different ways it's not just about the Barca way of dominating possession. Quite frankly every good manager wants control of the game there's just different ways of going about it.

Agreed. For once we've agreed on everything in this thread.

"Containing" is exerting control by definition.

Contain - control or restrain (oneself or a feeling).

That Swansea game i think we did, i have seen Mourinho teams do it many times over the years ( as in have hardly any of the ball but in complete control) I don't think there was many other times that season where it was the case though.

They're two different things though; 'controlling a game' to me requires control through the midfield, whereas being solid defensively to the point where the other team know they can't break you down just isn't the same thing.

Disagree tbh, you can have control in a number of different ways it's not just about the Barca way of dominating possession. Quite frankly every good manager wants control of the game there's just different ways of going about it.

with the ball you can control the game and by definition the other team

without the ball you can not control the game...the swansea game that you (?) initially referenced was the equivalent of throwing up a wall and swansea bouncing back off it for 85% of the game man, we did not control that game

without the ball you can not control the game...

I disagree with this totally. What does control mean? Influencing the course of events. As has been mentioned think about all the times a Wenger team lost to a Mourinho side sitting deep and counter attacking. Who has been in control? Passing sideways and creating nothing but looking susceptible on the counter attack isn't control. You're not exerting any meaningful influence.

Possession isn't control. Take the boxing comparison - "trying" to press isn't controlling the bout. Throwing punches, having the centre of the ring isn't controlling the bout. If i'm a counter puncher - I consistently make you miss most of your punches. I'm connecting mine. I'm looking the more likely to get the KO. I'm winning the rounds. The bout is going how I planned. I'm in control of the situation. I'm in control of the bout. Despite fighting off the back foot. Despite surrendering the centre of the ring (would that be the boxing equivalent of possession?). I'm exerting control over events.

without the ball you can not control the game...

I disagree with this totally. What does control mean? Influencing the course of events. As has been mentioned think about all the times a Wenger team lost to a Mourinho side sitting deep and counter attacking. Who has been in control? Passing sideways and creating nothing but looking susceptible on the counter attack isn't control. You're not exerting any meaningful influence.

Possession isn't control. Take the boxing comparison - "trying" to press isn't controlling the bout. Throwing punches, having the centre of the ring isn't controlling the bout. If i'm a counter puncher - I consistently make you miss most of your punches. I'm connecting mine. I'm looking the more likely to get the KO. I'm winning the rounds. The bout is going how I planned. I'm in control of the situation. I'm in control of the bout. Despite fighting off the back foot. Despite surrendering the centre of the ring (would that be the boxing equivalent of possession?). I'm exerting control over events.

we'll agree to disagree and as i said ages ago it's just semantics but you do not control a game of fucking football with 15% of the ball :lol:

Have to agree with TCD, too many people think dominating possession = dominating/controlling the match. Taking the example of Swansea away in 2012, we took an early lead, restricted them to long shots and made it safe in the second half. If you lead for almost all a match and prevent the other team from creating chances, surely you have some 'control' over that match?

Have to agree with TCD, too many people think dominating possession = dominating/controlling the match. Taking the example of Swansea away in 2012, we took an early lead, restricted them to long shots and made it safe in the second half. If you lead for almost all a match and prevent the other team from creating chances, surely you have some 'control' over that match?

again i'll just agree to disagree over the semantics of it, for me you you restrict the other team rather than control the game itself

it is possible for a game to take place without a team 'controlling' it btw, happens most of the time tbh

Get French Football ‏@GFN_France  3m3 minutes ago

PSG have reached an agreement with Crystal Palace for the transfer of Yohan Cabaye, according to The Guardian. More to follow.

I'm more sick of our lack of trying than Palace landing Cabaye. They got him because they tried, we've done fuck all and got fuck all.

Take off the Cabaye glasses and think about it though.  It'll cost them over £10m.  Why should we spend over £10m for a 29½ year old midfielder, when we're in desperate need of a striker, CB's and probably wingers.  Course I'd love him back, but I'd rather we buy what we need with the money, instead of sentiment