Dimitar Berbatov

JH

Heard he smokes like 40 a day. Surprised any top flight footballer can get away with that.

Shouldn't affect players with the amount of training and conditioning they have.

It would like, obviously they are fit enough to perform at the top level but if they stopped smoking they would have an extra bit of energy about them.

I train with a personal trainer who sometimes smokes, she is an amazingly fit girl but if she has smoked recently she doesn't train nearly as well, you can tell the difference.

If someone smokes all the time they wouldn't tell the difference anyway but I bet if they quite they would soon start to feel sharper and that little bit fitter.

Heard he smokes like 40 a day. Surprised any top flight footballer can get away with that.

Shouldn't affect players with the amount of training and conditioning they have.

It would like, obviously they are fit enough to perform at the top level but if they stopped smoking they would have an extra bit of energy about them.

I train with a personal trainer who sometimes smokes, she is an amazingly fit girl but if she has smoked recently she doesn't train nearly as well, you can tell the difference.

If someone smokes all the time they wouldn't tell the difference anyway but I bet if they quite they would soon start to feel sharper and that little bit fitter.

our lass stopped for about 6 months recently, she runs a lot and genuinely believed stopping smoking made her worse!!!!!!!

I pointed out that she was talking rubbish though.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

It wouldn't affect them much, but yes, there would be a slight difference.

Isn't Macheda supposed to be a heavy smoker?

Even though fitness wasn't anywhere near as important as it is in the modern game - when Cruijff was playing, he used to smoke several a day.

Elkjær was a legend. Smoked a pack a day and got in all sorts of trouble

one falling out with the legendary coach Hennes Weisweiler earned a legendary status in Denmark: Weisweiler approached Elkjær and said that he had been informed that the player had spent the night at a nightclub in the company of a bottle of whiskey and a lady, and wanted to know it that was true. Elkjær replied that it was a lie, in fact it was a bottle of vodka and TWO ladies.

What a guy  :smitten:

Even though fitness wasn't anywhere near as important as it is in the modern game - when Cruijff was playing, he used to smoke several a day.

theres a brilliant photo which for the life of me I can't find, of a few members of the Dutch team at the '74 WC (I think) playing cards, Cruyff looking cool as fuck with a tab in his mouth.

My Grandad quit smoking for a while at about 80 and the change in his health was amazing. And that's after doing it for 70 years. Not sure what point I'm making!

Did he play better though?

My Grandad quit smoking for a while at about 80 and the change in his health was amazing. And that's after doing it for 70 years. Not sure what point I'm making!

Did he play better though?

He was actually the best footballer I've ever played with, very close to signing for Newcastle apparently. Can't remember how the smoking affected his game though!

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

How many footballers actually smoke regularly, as opposed to just when they're out though?

Guest neesy111

Alex Ferguson prefers his players to smoke rather than Drinking.  A pint of Alcohol can affect the physical fitness for a week, while smoking effects are negligible as long as the person trains daily.  Though he'd prefer his players to do neither like what Cristinao Ronaldo does.

Ferguson spoke out about this around 2000 when Fabian Barthez was caught smoking by a newspaper.

I don't think it's completely impossible like.

If he wants to stay In England then we'd certainly have a shot if we're interested. Can't see Chelsea or City going near him, Liverpool wouldn't seem likely either. Think he'd be a really good signing for Arsenal, but he doesn't seem like a typical Wenger signing.

That leaves Spurs as the only team in the Premiership I'd not give us much shot against in a transfer fight, and I'm not sure what the vibe is between him and the club after how he left.

I'm sure if he fancies a move abroad then there'll be plenty of clubs on the continent willing to take him on, and I certainly wouldn't put any money on us signing him, but I don't see why it's impossible either?

I would love berbatov here, at that price it's a pretty decent deal. he could get slated for his lethargy when it comes to defensive duties, BUT unlike Shola at all he would score a hatful....

Looks like he's a fan of us which is always a plus point. ben Arfa just behind supplying those inch perfect passes...hmmmm!

Guest Jubby

wud be happy to see him sign, at least you know he will score more goals then what we have upfront at the minute.