Dimitar Berbatov

JH

If Ferguson genuinely thinks Owen, Welbeck or Diouf are any sort of ready-made replacements for Berbatov, he's literally lost his marbles.

'Literally' lost his marbles?

I'm sure he wouldn't see any of those players, or Macheda, as direct replacements, but he may feel that at least one of them is ready for the first team, and there comes a point in the development of a side, when you have to back a youngster.

I suspect he's disappointed with Berbatov's attitude. There was a spell at Spurs where Berbatov was playing with a lot of determination, and it was on that form that he paid £30m+ for him. I don't think he's shown that for Man U, and Ferguson clearly doesn't feel he can be trusted to rise to the occasion in the big games.

Watching the final in the dressing room at Wembley won't have impressed either. He should have been big enough to go out there and publicly stand by his team-mates, no matter what he was feeling.

What's wrong with Berbatov's attitude? He's been great for Man U this season and has seemingly been happy to come off the bench and play well when players like Park have got the nod instead.

Ferguson has a long history of this type of nonsense when he suddenly doesn't fancy a player. He did the same with Van Nistelrooj in 2006 after he'd started the 05-06 season on fire.

That was the season Van Nistelrooij got into a training scuffle with Ronaldo and by sounds of it - they never made up - so I don't think that qualifies as 'suddenly not fancying a player'.  It was the obvious decision to get rid of one.

Yet Mourinho just tried to sign RVN 6 months ago with Ronaldo's blessing.

SAF stopped playing RVN and basically forced him out of club. That's not the way you treat a player who's given you almost 5 years of top performances. Ferguson's a bully, and always has been.

SAF stopped playing RVN and basically forced him out of club. That's not the way you treat a player who's given you almost 5 years of top performances. Ferguson's a bully, and always has been.

Stam, Beckham, Yorke... Ferguson's done it time and time again.

Not that I want to be fair to him, but in his defence other than Stam none of those really left much of a hole in the team. Wasn't Stam replaced by an aging Laurent Blanc who wasn't nowhere near the level of when at his best.

still, he's done ok

Guest Flatline

Ferguson suddenly losing his fancy for a player has nothing to do with that players potential nor clairvoyancy about his future performances that should worry clubs considering those who have fallen out of favor with whiskey-nose. Its Locker-room politics.

No-one is bigger than the club ( i.e read: ferguson), and everyone is replacable. So personas-non-gratas at Old trafford are potentially very good signings if you ask me.

If Ferguson genuinely thinks Owen, Welbeck or Diouf are any sort of ready-made replacements for Berbatov, he's literally lost his marbles.

'Literally' lost his marbles?

I'm sure he wouldn't see any of those players, or Macheda, as direct replacements, but he may feel that at least one of them is ready for the first team, and there comes a point in the development of a side, when you have to back a youngster.

I suspect he's disappointed with Berbatov's attitude. There was a spell at Spurs where Berbatov was playing with a lot of determination, and it was on that form that he paid £30m+ for him. I don't think he's shown that for Man U, and Ferguson clearly doesn't feel he can be trusted to rise to the occasion in the big games.

Watching the final in the dressing room at Wembley won't have impressed either. He should have been big enough to go out there and publicly stand by his team-mates, no matter what he was feeling.

What's wrong with Berbatov's attitude? He's been great for Man U this season and has seemingly been happy to come off the bench and play well when players like Park have got the nod instead.

Ferguson has a long history of this type of nonsense when he suddenly doesn't fancy a player. He did the same with Van Nistelrooj in 2006 after he'd started the 05-06 season on fire.

Berbatov has shown his class, but I wouldn't say he's given 100%. It was a periodic problem at Spurs, and it's been a problem at Man U. I don't know why, because I'd have thought it was his big chance. No matter what level of ability a player has, Ferguson won't tolerate less than total effort, because team spirit is such an important ingredient in his success.

Ferguson's record of continued success despite periods of rebuilding shows that his judgement about when to let a player go is actually very good. He's admitted to a mistake with Stam, but decisions about Beckham, Van Nistelrooy, Ince, Cantona etc have proved to be sound.

The decisions aren't what i'm talking about. It's the fact he's essentially forced those players out of the club by treating them like shite.

And how on earth has Berbatov been a problem at Man U? They've won the league in 2 seasons out of 3 seasons since he joined.

Ferguson wants hungry players. He doesn't want to see any complacency in a big name player, because that can have a corrosive effect on team spirit, and set a bad example to the youngsters. He doesn't just talk about the club being more important than the individual, it comes out in his decisions as well. 40 + trophies would suggest that he knows what he's doing.

I'm not sure what goes on when he decides that a player can leave, but you can bet he's decisive about it and makes his views clear. I think a player would realise that there was no way they were going to win.

Guest taps01

The decisions aren't what i'm talking about. It's the fact he's essentially forced those players out of the club by treating them like s****.

And how on earth has Berbatov been a problem at Man U? They've won the league in 2 seasons out of 3 seasons since he joined.

It's one I don't understand one minute he is banging the goals in and then all of a sudden he couldn't get a look in.

Ferguson wants hungry players. He doesn't want to see any complacency in a big name player, because that can have a corrosive effect on team spirit, and set a bad example to the youngsters. He doesn't just talk about the club being more important than the individual, it comes out in his decisions as well. 40 + trophies would suggest that he knows what he's doing.

I'm not sure what goes on when he decides that a player can leave, but you can bet he's decisive about it and makes his views clear. I think a player would realise that there was no way they were going to win.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13594839.stm

He must think Kevin Nolan is the best fucking player in the league then.

[/typical fat joke]

Guest magpie99

You cannot knock Ferguson for the way he has dealt with his players. The fear factor obviously works because he has been at MU for 25 years and he has won everything several ti mes over.

I dont particularly like him and he does seem a bully but he has always put the club first and selliong the likes of Stam, Beckham, Van Nostril seems like good business when you consider the amount of money he got back and the fact they did very little in winning trophies after they left.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13594839.stm

Maybe he was referring to:

@themichaelowen michael owen

Chinese, Indian or Pizza tonight? I'm siding with Indian. Anyone have any recommendations? I always get the same dish and fancy a change.

• 3 weeks later...

Dont take these odds seriously man. Skybet had bloody Brighton as strong 5/4 favourites for Owen's next club so I wouldn't read too much into it.

True :lol:

He is 31 in january. Too Old. I'm sure we have no interest in this player.

Too old and too expensive for us.

Saying that, I'd love it to happen. He just has that much quality and his first touch is amazing.  :smitten:

He is 31 in january. Too Old. I'm sure we have no interest in this player.

He's a bit like Viduka though, it's not about his pace. It's his incredible first touch and vision. I can see him still influencing games and scoring for another few years at least. Would be worth it if around £10m. We still would need to get another striker though.