Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

We're saving money by looking out for players who are in contractual disputes, we have to be prepared to take the other side. If Ben Arfa took the hump, we know the lengths he will go to in order to force a move.

I hope this comes off, Ba was extremely impressive for West Ham.

Done it twice at Hoff...tried to force a move through to Stuttgart where he failed a medical then too.

He was the one who kicked off at the west ham party

Ah right, well now I'm slightly worried :undecided:

Wasn't he getting racially abused though?

Yeah I seem to remember that, doesn't surprise me either.

I know that means you're not surprised because it's West Ham fans, but when I first read it through my head I thought it was an endorsement of the actions.  :lol:

"Pfft, doesn't surprise me, deserves it"

Not at all. I'd have kicked off too in that situation..

I meant the West Ham fans doing that (hope I haven't been whooshed!).

Not at all. I'd have kicked off too in that situation..

I meant the West Ham fans doing that (hope I haven't been whooshed!).

We know :lol:

I know that means you're not surprised because it's West Ham fans, but when I first read it through my head I thought it was an endorsement of the actions.  :lol:

"Pfft, doesn't surprise me, deserves it"

The blacks man, come on we're all thinking it!..

I genuinely think Leon can be moulded into a really good striker. The raw materials are all there, it's just about adding the judgement - and we saw plenty of evidence he has some - namely the Arsenal, Bolton and Everton games at home.

I'm still flabbergasted by the fact we have a striker who is even worse at playing the offside trap than Shola.

Best plays off the shoulder, Shola wanders around.

Pretty much, Best's offsides are usually from trying to get into a goal scoring position. With Shola its random :lol:

It's not random. It's a lack of intelligence.

The amount of times he caught offside and he just grins like a gormless idiot as if it's some kind of novelty really annoys me.

Does then when he gives away free-kicks too. The complete tosspiece.

Was Flatline in London for the weekend?

Nah we banned him from the city.

Would be nice if we signed Ibišević as well, Ba played a lot off him at Hoffenheim and they had a good partnership going on. If Ibišević hadn´t suffered an ACL injury during the 08-09 season then Hoffenheim might have won the title as they were top of the league in November but after Ibišević´s injury the whole team struggled and finished 7th (Ibišević finishing the season with 18 goals and 7 assist in 17 matches).

I'm not sure Ba is the ideal player to play as a lone striker in a 4-5-1 formation, if we get him I´d take it as a sign that we´re going to play with 2 up front.

Ibišević  Ba

Ben Arfa                 Barton/New/Jonas

Cabaye  Tiote

Wouldn´t mind something like that tough there are probably better options out there than Ibišević . I still like him and think signing him would be good business, don´t think he´d be that expensive either as the new Hoffenheim coach doesn´t seem to rate him (he didn´t start in any of Hoffenheim´s last 4 games). Say we´d sign Ibišević for ~5m then another top striker for ~10m then we'd have a nice and balanced strikeforce with healthy competition.

10m striker

Ba

Ibišević

Best

Could donate Ameobi´s and Lovekrand´s bodies to science. Guess it´s a bit greedy and unrealistic to expect us signing 3 forwards but one can always hope.

Pardew is trying to add more pace and sharpness to the attack and Ba would make sense from that point of view.

I do get uneasy when Best is named as a decent back-up option for the future. For me, he's a British centre forward in the traditional mould - strong and good in the air, clumsy and slow in other respects. He's the sort of player we should be leaving behind if we're going to progress.

Guest BooBoo

Best showed last season, he's fine as a back up option. Looked a vastly improved power once be had grabbed  his first goals v West Ham.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Best showed last season, he's fine as a back up option. Looked a vastly improved power once be had bated his first goals v West Ham.

Great in the air

I was at st Andrews when he battered Roger Johnson back post. Not many do that

Best showed last season, he's fine as a back up option. Looked a vastly improved power once be had bated his first goals v West Ham.

I think he looked better last season because he was played in the only position where he should be asked to play ie leading the line as a traditional number 9. He can't drop deeper or play wide, which was what was happening when he had to play with another similar striker.

It's also helped his reputation that he bagged a few goals, but that can happen with any striker who hits a good streak.

If we're going to play better football, we need attacking players with a bit more in their armoury.