Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

cant see anything wrong at all with saying it's a good signing if he's joined by another one or two of his ability but not wise if he's the only striker we bring in. that makes sense to me.

I know what you mean, [b[i just don't see why everything positive has to have a massive caveat tagged onto the end.[/b]

Ba is a good signing, he's better than all our other strikers. Let's judge the other business on its own merits.

it doesn't, but it absolutely must be judged with reference to selling a player for 35m and then promising to invest that money into the squad publicly ian, i'm sorry like but it f***ing does

Fair enough. I just think Ba is a good signing and there's no reason to be down on it because he didn't cost £20m.

aaaaaargh which part of "criticising the Ba deal is stupid 'cause it makes good sense on every level" is me being down on the ba signing? :lol:

Sorry, I didn't see you say that and I wasn't really talking about you solely anyway.

My personal view is that the Ba deal is a good deal. It won't become a bad deal even if we fail to make other signings. That's it really.

i'm very surprised you don't see each individual incoming and outgoing deal as part of a bigger outlook the club has now. signings have to be looked at in this context now imo because we know that

1. the club are looking to take advantage of release clauses/free transfers rather than scouting a player and paying what he's worth (this is the reason i dont think we'll get n'zogbia)

2. we'll sell for big money even if it immediately hampers us on the pitch

Each deal is part of the whole deal imo and it's the whole deal that I care about ultimately.

With respect, you are talking s**** TBF.

I get the whole "big picture" thing but if you can't judge the signing of Demba Ba on whether we sign another striker or not.

IF we sign Ba he will judged on his own merits out on the pitch. IF we sign another striker (which i think we will), he will be judged in the same way.

If want to preserve collective judgement, save it for the management team on september 1st.

Spot on

cant see anything wrong at all with saying it's a good signing if he's joined by another one or two of his ability but not wise if he's the only striker we bring in. that makes sense to me.

I know what you mean, [b[i just don't see why everything positive has to have a massive caveat tagged onto the end.[/b]

Ba is a good signing, he's better than all our other strikers. Let's judge the other business on its own merits.

it doesn't, but it absolutely must be judged with reference to selling a player for 35m and then promising to invest that money into the squad publicly ian, i'm sorry like but it fucking does

Fair enough. I just think Ba is a good signing and there's no reason to be down on it because he didn't cost £20m.

aaaaaargh which part of "criticising the Ba deal is stupid 'cause it makes good sense on every level" is me being down on the ba signing? :lol:

Sorry, I didn't see you say that and I wasn't really talking about you solely anyway.

My personal view is that the Ba deal is a good deal. It won't become a bad deal even if we fail to make other signings. That's it really.

i'm very surprised you don't see each individual incoming and outgoing deal as part of a bigger outlook the club has now. signings have to be looked at in this context now imo because we know that

1. the club are looking to take advantage of release clauses/free transfers rather than scouting a player and paying what he's worth (this is the reason i dont think we'll get n'zogbia)

Each deal is part of the whole deal imo and it's the whole deal that I care about ultimately.

With respect, you are talking shite TBF.

I get the whole "big picture" thing but if you can't judge the signing of Demba Ba on whether we sign another striker or not.

IF we sign Ba he will judged on his own merits out on the pitch. IF we sign another striker (which i think we will), he will be judged in the same way.

If want to preserve collective judgement, save it for the management team on september 1st.

Absolutely.  It might well turn out that Ashley and Dekka are conning us by pretending to go for good players, but all that will be proven one way or the other soon enough.

I don't see how anyone can complain about this signing.  He brings a lot to the table and every indication is that the club will bring in another striker as well.  I'd still like to know mopre about his knee but this is a free and that is good business.

As for Gameiro, I'd have concerns of him being a bit of a light weight in the PL.  By all accounts Erdinc isn't quite as polished but he does have some power in his game.

it doesn't, but it absolutely must be judged with reference to selling a player for 35m and then promising to invest that money into the squad publicly ian, i'm sorry like but it fucking does

i'm not going to decide he's a bad player if he does it on the pitch for us, i'm just trying to say i'll reserve judgement on whether it's a good deal for the club when we see the squad come the first day of the season. the reason being that it's another signing based on getting a deal rather than getting the best player (form and fitness) we possibly can with the resources available.

i'm not going to decide he's a bad player if he does it on the pitch for us, i'm just trying to say i'll reserve judgement on whether it's a good deal for the club when we see the squad come the first day of the season.

In my mind, if it's a good deal (subjective), if will depend on what he does on the pitch, not who comes in alongside him.

I'll want discount off my shirt printing at least  :huff:

I remembe back at Christmas 96 I got the long sleeved home shirt and wanted a name on the back. Thinking we were going to be paying per letter and number I was all set for 7 Lee, when it was £5 all in I thought f*** that and got 18 Gillespie.

Aye my vanegoor of hesselhink one cost a bomb back then like

the way i look at it of we bring ba and erdinc and that's it in it's almost certainly an upgrade on what we have but it's worrying for a few reasons.

1. Ba's knee

2. Erdinc is somewhat out of form and a confidence player by some accounts

3. It looks likely we're going for a 4-3-3 with not many goals likely from midfield. If Ben Arfa isnt the player he was or takes ages to get back to it who's gonna score if Erdinc doesnt settle and Ba's in the treatment room?

It would just make me feel more comfortable bringing in a striker who is almost certainly gonna bang quite a few in for us, due to form and fitness records. But they tend to cost money.

What if the knee goes bang of the striker that's almost certain to bang them in, like it did with Owen?  :frantic:

Realistically there is only so much you can prepare for and I'd be amazed if we went out and bought 3 strikers, we've also seen this season in the league with Rooney, Drogba and Torres that there are no certainties in front of goal.

fair question, but let me ask you one.

It's a given that we need to operate the club within reason and not pay out ridiculous wages to everyone like we have in the past, but every signing is a balance between what they'll offer us on the pitch and what we have to pay out as a club.

Given our recent signings and the sale of Carroll, does it look to you like the main consideration is money or ability? As far as i'm concerned it's 100% money, and that's from a club who've just received an enormous transfer fee.

You have to play the percentages and at the moment we're not playing them in favour of fitness record or ability (Ba, Gosling, Neil Taylor) we're doing it solely based on how much we can save. At some point the attitude has to change if we want to go anywhere.

I think it's a mixture of both, we're trying to strike a balance between bringing in better players that's the best possible deal for the club and I don't see the problem with that at all.

Ba - Good goals to games ratio, doubts about his knee but hasn't been a problem in 4 years.

Gosling - Good young player to add depth to the squad, came in injured but signed for the long term not the short.

Taylor - Young promising player to compete in a area where we've been crying out for depth.

All for what's looking like a combined transfer fee of £1 million, I think that's excellent for the club but I also think that we're going to have to balance this with some players that's we're going to have to pay a bit more for to push the club on and I'm hoping that's what some of the Carroll money goes towards.

Guest johnson293

Quick question: other than Brazilianbob, who is complaining about this signing?

Not me. A free agent, with a proven recent record in the premiership, yes please. :)

Only doubt/worry is about his knees - but if there's one thing I think the board will be good at now, it's making sure they won't be paying wages for crocks. So if there are the doubts that have been rumoured, then I'm sure there'll be clauses to cover us.

Seems simple enough to change your BA shirt to a CABAYE shirt if you'd prefer.  Quite handy, that.

Or Barton  :shifty:

:nope:

CABAYE

BARTON

Alright symmetry squad  :lol: was letting on more to the belief that he may not be here soon

Quick question: other than Brazilianbob, who is complaining about this signing?

Venkman

i'm saying if it's only him we're getting it's a bit of a risk given his knee, if you want to call that complaining that's up to you.

I'll judge the squad as a whole on the first day of the season. If Ba is accompanied by other strikers of his quality he's a good signing, if he's not it's a bad signing because they THINK its enough and it's another signing made for financial reasons first and football second.