Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

It's not too unrealistic to believe he does actually have a release fee, so I'm just basically waiting for someone to match it and give him an offer. Just hopefully we can persuade him to stay like Swansea did with Taylor...

lee_ryder Lee Ryder

#nufc Pardew on Redknapp:"You don’t want to end up talking about other players in the window I'm sure he probably regrets that a little bit"

1 minute ago

lee_ryder Lee Ryder

#nufc Pardew on Redknapp: “I just feel that I thought listening to the conversation that the media tripped him up a bit,”

43 seconds ago

lee_ryder Lee Ryder

#nufc Pardew on Demba Ba: "Demba is a Newcastle player. He has been brilliant for us and that is all I want to say about it."

12 seconds ago

s*** balls. So its becoming clear there is something or else they would just flat out say that there is no clause. Still can't see him going in January and i think we are in a good position to renegotiated should such a clause exist

Would it be naive to say that Ba might want to stay too considering how well things are going atm, just lob him a few cases of syrup.

Exactly. It's as good a time as any (when he is back in the country of course) to renegotiate. Although don't underestimate the evils of agents whispering in his ear.

It seems obvious that a clause exists, it's the nature of it that I'm interested in. If it was a simple buy-out clause I'm sure it would have already been activated. It might become active depending on our finishing position or something like that.

He's not even been here a full year :lol: Why is the media so desperate to see him shipped off after a good start? 

I'll worry in the summer.  With the ACN going on I think he'll be safe during this window.

Not sure we're in a position to renegotiate tbh - such a clause would be totally in his favour. In fact I'm not even sure we'd want to if he's on a bonus-based structure as has been implied a few times. Low risk.

Not sure we're in a position to renegotiate tbh - such a clause would be totally in his favour. In fact I'm not even sure we'd want to if he's on a bonus-based structure as has been implied a few times. Low risk.

He would renegotiate if it meant more £££

lee_ryder Lee Ryder

#nufc Pardew on Redknapp:"You don’t want to end up talking about other players in the window I'm sure he probably regrets that a little bit"

1 minute ago

lee_ryder Lee Ryder

#nufc Pardew on Redknapp: “I just feel that I thought listening to the conversation that the media tripped him up a bit,”

43 seconds ago

lee_ryder Lee Ryder

#nufc Pardew on Demba Ba: "Demba is a Newcastle player. He has been brilliant for us and that is all I want to say about it."

12 seconds ago

Pardew 10, Redknapp 0.

It's only a three year contract too, isn't it? I assume our medical team know exactly what the score is with his dodgy knee, and if they feel he's not a significant risk of a total write off if he makes a wrong move it may well be worthwhile sitting with his agent again asap to discuss an extension to his contract, give him more certainty in return (i.e. a higher basic wage) and remove the contract clause (or increase it to something like >30m). He's the best striker we've had for quite a while and would be nearly impossible to replace considering our financial (self imposed) limitations. We have to try and keep him for as long as possible.

Demba gives me the impression he's very much his own man.

Things couldn't really be going any better for him so I'm confident he's happy and will stay until the summer, by which time the board need to have secured him with a new deal or they will have fucked up bigtime.

Even if there was no clause i'm fairly sure the club wouldn't be allowed to talk about in on privacy grounds.  They can't just go disclosing private details about a player's contract same as any other company.

We don't know about the degenerative condition in any real depth, but what we do know is that it was enough to put off Stoke City from paying ~£8m for him.

I'd say with confidence that I cannot see any club bidding near that figure, even considering how prolific he has been.  The knee condition must be too sever to justify investing millions in him.  I'd be extremely surprised if anyone bid an amount close to the supposed release clause this transfer window.  Maybe, the situation will change at the end of the season, but that's 6 months away and it's plenty of time for the club to think about the situation.

lee_ryder Lee Ryder

1 minute ago

lee_ryder Lee Ryder

43 seconds ago

lee_ryder Lee Ryder

12 seconds ago

Pardew 10, Redknapp 0.

Erm, how?

Worrying really. It all points to there being a clause and that Redknapp is sniffing about, and we're utterly powerless to stop him. It's probably more like Pardew 3, Redknapp 197.

Ba has shown already at West Ham that he's happy to leave a club after 6 months if a better offer comes along, and has shown that he (or his agent) is savvy enough to include release clauses to allow this to happen. Starting to think we're fucked, tbh. Again.

Ba in negotiating the West Ham contract knows what he's after in contracts and hasn't signed any old thing. He could well have forced through a release clause, though suspect it will be similar to the West Ham one in case we got relegated. Ba obviously knows exactly what he's doing and as such don't believe he's going to be 'tapped up', he probably knows exactly how good he's been and that a top team could bid big for him or whatever.

All I'm saying is I suspect it's probably up to Ba more than anyone, and I for one am crossing fingers he doesn't want the fuss of changing clubs again so soon, trying to fit into a new team and hoping the medical team are as accommodating as ours. Our french contingent has hopefully made it an ideal club. Of course it could all come down to money, he seems too honest to have run around pretending he's immediately blindly loyal to the club (he was hardly greatly loyal to West Ham, and we probably shouldn't pretend he's 'loyal' to us).

Seems bizarrely incompetent to have the clause when the clubs entire MO is based around maximising our players' value as assets.

They're also about not spending money where they think they don't have to. They got Ba for free, so it's pretty understandable IMO that his agent might have got their way on a few things. Perhaps Ba and/or the agent looked at the Carroll fee and thought that if a top club came in for Ba we'd demand too much money and the chance would be put in jeopardy. This reported figure still nets us a tidy profit (:puke:) and allows the player freedom in case a bigger club comes in.

Erm, how?

Disregarding the release clause speculation, Pardew has managed to belittle Redknapp with ease and also, to some extent, the journalists who posed/agreed the line of questioning.  It was an extremely subtle warning, which also served as a means to alert the media that Redknapp should not be talking about Newcastle players.