Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

We don't know about the degenerative condition in any real depth, but what we do know is that it was enough to put off Stoke City from paying ~£8m for him.

I'd say with confidence that I cannot see any club bidding near that figure, even considering how prolific he has been.  The knee condition must be too sever to justify investing millions in him.  I'd be extremely surprised if anyone bid an amount close to the supposed release clause this transfer window.  Maybe, the situation will change at the end of the season, but that's 6 months away and it's plenty of time for the club to think about the situation.

I felt that as well but the way he has performed this year and now this apparent clause of 10 mil. 10 million is nothing to these clubs really bar maybe tottenham. So if he can carry his form on for them like he has for us even if just for a year or two then they will.

We don't know about the degenerative condition in any real depth, but what we do know is that it was enough to put off Stoke City from paying ~£8m for him.

I'd say with confidence that I cannot see any club bidding near that figure, even considering how prolific he has been.  The knee condition must be too sever to justify investing millions in him.  I'd be extremely surprised if anyone bid an amount close to the supposed release clause this transfer window.  Maybe, the situation will change at the end of the season, but that's 6 months away and it's plenty of time for the club to think about the situation.

I felt that as well but the way he has performed this year and now this apparent clause of 10 mil. 10 million is nothing to these clubs really bar maybe tottenham. So if he can carry his form on for them like he has for us even if just for a year or two then they will.

I don't think there is a single club, aside from M'City, who could feasibly gamble £10m on a player who has an extremely high risk of having to have prolonged resting periods, go under the knife, or even retire.  Not even Tottenham.

Aren't Stoke the only club he failed a medical with? His previous clubs and us haven't had an issue with it.

Is it REALLY as bad as reports are making out? Surely if it's only Stoke then it's hardly going to be concrete evidence.

It doesn't add up and on top of it all...he scores plenty of goals from twists and spins which are going to be the most hassle on his knees. In fact it seems to be a major part of his game/skill set.

Never heard of him before West Ham and took no notice until he signed for us...so excuse any ignorance :D

Failed a medial at VFB Stuttgart too.

fair enough beatty. I was thinking more like man city and chelsea and liverpool (more because there are dumb).

I have a theory on why we may not be commenting. What if the clause was something relating to final league placing. Say we have to finish in the top 10. It would put massive unnecessary pressure on us to do that if we came out and said thats what it was.

They say there's a release clause in his contract, that's what we all hear," he said.

Clearly there's a clause. He wouldnt have just plucked this from a Karen Brady article. Just need to hope its a big fucking buy out to put people off.

Aren't Stoke the only club he failed a medical with? His previous clubs and us haven't had an issue with it.

Is it REALLY as bad as reports are making out? Surely if it's only Stoke then it's hardly going to be concrete evidence.

It doesn't add up and on top of it all...he scores plenty of goals from twists and spins which are going to be the most hassle on his knees. In fact it seems to be a major part of his game/skill set.

Never heard of him before West Ham and took no notice until he signed for us...so excuse any ignorance :D

Prior to signing for West Ham he was due to move to Stuttgart, but failed his medical.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Pardew said something recently about his knee!

I think we are safe, no doctor will sign a player off for 10m? and 60+ a week.

He is 26, it's only going to get worse!

Even if there was no clause i'm fairly sure the club wouldn't be allowed to talk about in on privacy grounds.  They can't just go disclosing private details about a player's contract same as any other company.

Sorry, but that's rubbish.

Well, I don't know, i'm just guessing based on the usual employment stuff.  I know they can't disclose wages or bonuses without a players consent just the same as my company can't disclose my earnings or bonuses without my consent.

Erm, how?

Disregarding the release clause speculation, Pardew has managed to belittle Redknapp with ease and also, to some extent, the journalists who posed/agreed the line of questioning.  It was an extremely subtle warning, which also served as a means to alert the media that Redknapp should not be talking about Newcastle players.

- How's he belittled Redknapp? He's tried to, but it's a pretty hollow response to someone who may have just successfully tapped up your best striker. I doubt Redknapp will give 2 shits about this supposed "belittling" if he ends up with Ba out of the deal. That's all he cares about, not his reputation as a nice, honest chap.

- A warning? :lol: How can we warn someone against buying a player with a release clause ffs? All we can do is sit here and shit ourselves, maybe offer him a new deal and try to buy out the clause.

- And everyone already knows that Redknapp shouldn't be talking about other players, Pardew's hardly the first manager in the world to notice it. We know it already, the media know it already, Redknapp knows it already and everyone in the bloody country knows it already, but he's made a career out of doing this.

I'm not suggesting we should just allow him to say and do whatever he wants without at least trying to give a response, but to say it's "10-0" to Pardew is ridiculous. Redknapp is winning this one, as he always does, and all Pardew's done is to try to save a little face by saying a watered down version of what we all already know - Ie that Redknapp's a weasley little shitebag who should be in jail, and that he's tapped up a ridiculous number of players in his time and should be done for it and thrown out of football.

And you can understand why he and his agent would want a release clause in his contract at an extremely reasonable* price.  If a bunch of morons (e.g. Liverpool) were foolish enough to be willing to bid £10m, Demba would obviously receive a pay increase, signing on fee etc.  Which to a person who could quiet easily have to give up football the next day would be gold dust.

*relative to his condition

Okay, so it looks he may actually have some sort of clause in his contract.....

But I reckon Demba will stay anyway. Looks like he's really enjoying his football here and he's in the form of his life really. Like someone touched upon before, think the French influence we've got in the squad now could be enough to make us the ideal club for Demba. Think he certainly enjoys the French vibe we've got going on actually.

- How's he belittled Redknapp? He's tried to, but it's a pretty hollow response to someone who may have just successfully tapped up your best striker. I doubt Redknapp will give 2 shits about this supposed "belittling" if he ends up with Ba out of the deal. That's all he cares about, not his reputation as a nice, honest chap.

I can’t say that I’ve ever heard or read a manager responding to Redknapp’s ‘soft’ tapping-up of players before.

- A warning? :lol: How can we warn someone against buying a player with a release clause ffs? All we can do is sit here and s*** ourselves, maybe offer him a new deal and try to buy out the clause.

It wasn’t a ‘keep off warning’ as such.  Merely a ‘don’t talk about my players’ warning.

I'm not suggesting we should just allow him to say and do whatever he wants without at least trying to give a response, but to say it's "10-0" to Pardew is ridiculous. Redknapp is winning this one, as he always does, and all Pardew's done is to try to save a little face by saying a watered down version of what we all already know - Ie that Redknapp's a weasley little shitebag who should be in jail, and that he's tapped up a ridiculous number of players in his time and should be done for it and thrown out of football.

Like I said, I don’t think another manager has responded directly in this way to Redknapp before.  It puts Redknapp in a slightly different position to what he is usually used to.  He’s media savvy, so will probably breeze through a response and nothing will happen.  But, he will have a little think before talking about Ba or any one of our players again.  Imo at least.

But I reckon Demba will stay anyway. Looks like he's really enjoying his football here and he's in the form of his life really. Like someone touched upon before, think the French influence we've got in the squad now could be enough to make us the ideal club for Demba. Think he certainly enjoys the French vibe we've got going on actually.

If a club meets the release clause and and offers him an improvement on his current contract then, given his condition, he would be a foolish (or extremely loyal) man to turn it down. 

There's little probability of that happening imo.  There is too much risk.

If Spurs came in I think he'd be gone, personally. Never really buy the "he loves it here" thing.

Only if he gets improved terms ofc.  Be that a wage increase, wage security or in terms of contract length.

You'd image they would have the pull of CL football as well, which would be hard to say no to.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Pardew said something recently about his knee!

I think we are safe, no doctor will sign a player off for 10m? and 60+ a week.

He is 26, it's only going to get worse!

:lol: Is that an argument for or against him going?

They won't buy him!

If a club meets the release clause and and offers him an improvement on his current contract then, given his condition, he would be a foolish (or extremely loyal) man to turn it down. 

There's little probability of that happening imo.  There is too much risk.

I guess the condition of his knee will be a huge factor like. Like you've said, it'll probably be too much of a risk for other clubs.

I don't think he'd move this January anyway, it's only half a season (for us). I know that sounds daft, but clubs will look at the Carroll deal and wonder if players are really worth the January premium or if they're just in a purple patch for that club at that point in time. Plus from Ba's perspective, even if he fancies a bigger club already, if he stays fit all year and breaks 20 goals this season - easily possible now - then imagine his options in the summer. That will be the time to worry.

He will turn to s*** if he leaves here, just like Carroll

Nah, he's been a consistent scorer for all his career, albeit not at this seasons incredible standards.

Except at Watford... but that wasn't Ba's fault.