Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

I don't really blame Ba for much, it was Pardew's fault for playing Cisse out of position to accommodate him. I think he's a complete mercenary obviously, but that applies to a lot of players.

The team did actually step it up a notch when that happened though and it's not like Ba hadn't played there before either.

I meant when we forced Cisse out wide so Ba could be central.

When was this?

In fact, the more I think about this, whilst I'd take him if there were no other realistic alternatives, I'd rather we stayed away.

He scored 16 then 13 in the two half seasons we played him in his preferred position. Where else would we get a 30 goals a season striker?

In fact, the more I think about this, whilst I'd take him if there were no other realistic alternatives, I'd rather we stayed away.

He scored 16 then 13 in the two half seasons we played him in his preferred position. Where else would we get a 30 goals a season striker?

Bold.

Don't know what he's earning per week at Chelsea but would we match it? Think we may have the same issue with Remy if we look to sign him permanantly, I would think QPR are still picking up a chunk of his wages whilst he's here on loan.

Short answer to the first question would be no which means it won't happen. He'll end up in Russia or Turkey.

I don't really blame Ba for much, it was Pardew's fault for playing Cisse out of position to accommodate him. I think he's a complete mercenary obviously, but that applies to a lot of players.

The team did actually step it up a notch when that happened though and it's not like Ba hadn't played there before either.

When was this?

Am I going mental? When Ba was a football player for us, Newcastle United, in the English Premier League.

When was this?

Am I going mental? When Ba was a football player for us, Newcastle United, in the English Premier League.

:-)

Don't know what he's earning per week at Chelsea but would we match it? Think we may have the same issue with Remy if we look to sign him permanantly, I would think QPR are still picking up a chunk of his wages whilst he's here on loan.

Short answer to the first question would be no which means it won't happen. He'll end up in Russia or Turkey.

:thup:

Won't be back here.

Ba wasn't scoring anything like that before he joined us and hasn't done since.... whose to say we don't buy a striker with a 1 in 3 or 4 record but suddenly starts scoring like Ba did?

Its not impossible its happened to many players.

Bold.

You think there is a realistic alternative who would score 30 in the Premier League available to us, penny pinching Mike Ashley NUFC?

When was this?

You must be, because that's not what happened at all. Cisse played wide for no more than 4 partial matches, one after Ba left. This after months of playing up top with Ba, and failing to deliver. The alternative was dropping him altogether, which Pardew would have been crucified for. People were crying out to go back to 3 up top at the time too, so surely it was worth a try to see if it would work? It was abondonned as soon as it became apparent Cisse was even more dogshit out wide than centrally.

Bold.

You think there is a realistic alternative who would score 30 in the Premier League available to us, penny pinching Mike Ashley NUFC?

I haven't implied either way but to be honest, we simply don't know.

This 30 goal a season striker you are referring to was signed on a free transfer, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that viable alternatives are out there. Signing goalscorers on the cheap isn't common, but they also aren't isolated incidents (Michu, for example).

Penny pinching Mike Ashley NUFC also purchased Cisse for a decent sum, which no-one expected so you just don't know with us. I'm beyond predicting what the guy will do tbh.

Only just seen the goal he scored on Wednesday for Chelsea. Made me quite nostalgic about when he was banging them in for us. He was a quality finisher, particularly improvised volleys like the one he scored on Wednesday.

Shame that he left us to barely get a game at Chelsea but feel he would have left eventually anyway to any number of clubs. Would have been good for him and Arsenal if that rumoured loan move had gone through.

Bold.

This 30 goal a season striker you are referring to was signed on a free transfer, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that viable alternatives are out there. Signing goalscorers on the cheap isn't common, but they also aren't isolated incidents (Michu, for example).

Penny pinching Mike Ashley NUFC also purchased Cisse for a decent sum, which no-one expected so you just don't know with us. I'm beyond predicting what the guy will do tbh.

Our transfer policy is extremely predictable. The first page of our investment policy reads: "exploit contractual circumstance and/or maximum age 26 and/or notable sell-on value." The only mitigating circumstance refers to Newcastle's position within the league at the time.

For example. Cisse was signed when Champions League qualification was a tangible goal, and a modest investment would likely prove fruitful. Similar to the signings of Sissoko, Debuchy, etc, when relegation was equally as tangible an outcome. Forced investment.

If we're still in mid-table by the time January rolls around, I'd be surprised to see any investment whatsoever. If a key player leaves, perhaps then we'll sign someone. But that wouldn't be 'investment'.

Bold.

Our transfer policy is extremely predictable. The first page of our investment policy reads: "exploit contractual circumstance and/or maximum age 26 and/or notable sell-on value." The only mitigating circumstance refers to Newcastle's position within the league at the time.

For example. Cisse was signed when Champions League qualification was a tangible goal, and a modest investment would likely prove fruitful. Similar to the signings of Sissoko, Debuchy, etc, when relegation was equally as tangible an outcome. Forced investment.

If we're still in mid-table by the time January rolls around, I'd be surprised to see any investment whatsoever. If a key player leaves, perhaps then we'll sign someone. But that wouldn't be 'investment'.

Fair comment, however it's gone off on a bit of a tangent from my original preference to signing someone else unless there are no realistic alternatives.

Don't forget though that said transfer policy will also apply a re-signing of Ba as well, who will likely cost at least what they paid for him - so it's something of an irrelevant point in this particular case.

Only just seen the goal he scored on Wednesday for Chelsea. Made me quite nostalgic about when he was banging them in for us. He was a quality finisher, particularly improvised volleys like the one he scored on Wednesday.

Shame that he left us to barely get a game at Chelsea but feel he would have left eventually anyway to any number of clubs. Would have been good for him and Arsenal if that rumoured loan move had gone through.

He just wanted a big money move, he doesn't seem to care about playing versus warming the bench. I'm sure his next move will be entirely motivated by money as well. That's fair enough, but we shouldn't waste any time feeling sorry that he's not playing.

No, we shouldn't. Just a shame all that talent belongs to such a mercenary. No set of fans will remember his name in 10 years.

Would you consider taking him back knowing full on he's mercenary (knowing his true colors) if it meant he'd be our main central option and Remy & HBA would be on the flanks? Helping us massively in the goal scoring department?  Just curious your thoughts.

Bold.

Our policy has been and always will be reactive.

Sorry I didn't mean I genuinely felt bad for him I meant more it's a shame the modern climate in football meant that he was desperate to leave us and now is sat in the reserves most of the time for Chelsea. Don't feel sorry for him because he made his bed and to be honest, like you say is probably happy picking up his big wages.

I can't say I have no affection for him though as he was a key part in one of our best seasons for a long long time.