Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

He played in all of our 4-3-3 victories and I for one would be devastated if we sold him, 16 goals in half a season was no fluke and I think it was more ACON after affects than formation or Cisse signing that hurt his game.

he played, and everyone has been saying how he doesn't look fit or happy. as the seasons went on he's looked less happy so i guess it'll come down to his happiness as opposed to anything we do. i don't want us busting the bank to keep a player who may not suit our preferred formation and has injury worries.

It's amazing that now he's on a goal draught, how people are finding reasons to put him down. Where's all this "break the bank coming from" and despite whatever "injury worries" label that he seems to be stuck with, I don't remember him bing out for any significant amount of time. As for his role in the 433, he was very close to scoring in quite a few of those games (remember him hitting the bar/post at least 3x) and even without scoring, he played well in majority of those games. If anything this is the time for the club/fans to support him so that he can regain the confidence to hit top form again

it's not the drought that i've noticed, it's that earlier ion the season everything that came to him stuck and his control was phenomenal. not so of late and it's been getting worse. fatigue, confidence whatever it's been very noticeable.

As alpal78 rightly suggests though, is that not when you'd expect a club/manager/supporters to stand by the player and help him get back to his previous form?

i am, i've said three times i want him to stay. still think he'll be off as he wants to be a first choice front line striker which he won't be here.

You also said this:

i don't want us busting the bank to keep a player who may not suit our preferred formation and has injury worries.[/b]

do you want us doing that ?

As I've already asked you twice, what do you mean by this anyway? Is keeping him here on his current contract, which is entirely feasible considering he has a running contract, nobody knowing the details of the release clause and him possibly wanting to stay even if it did exist and could be triggered, "busting the bank"? If so, yes, definitely.

Is entering talks with him to renew and extend his contract "busting the bank"? Then yes, I would also like us to do that. If the club manages to secure a new deal that gets rid of the release clause and commits a very good player to us for the foreseeable future without paying the player more than we deem him worth, and the player his happy to commit to such a new deal, then I don't see the problem.

If as you suggest he is actually unhappy (without any evidence to support this statement might I add) then he is at liberty to not enter negotiations with us for a new deal, have his agent try and get other clubs trigger the release clause, etc.

The scenario where we "bust the bank" and end up with an unhappy player is an impossibility if you ask me, unless you don't trust the club to do the right thing, which is very much unlike you.. ???

Edit: not even going into the details of the formation (discussed at length already) and injury proneness (irrelevant without knowing the details)

As I've already asked you twice, what do you mean by this anyway? Is keeping him here on his current contract, which is entirely feasible considering he has a running contract, nobody knowing the details of the release clause and him possibly wanting to stay even if it did exist and could be triggered, "busting the bank"? If so, yes, definitely.

Is entering talks with him to renew and extend his contract "busting the bank"? Then yes, I would also like us to do that. If the club manages to secure a new deal that gets rid of the release clause and commits a very good player to us for the foreseeable future without paying the player more than we deem him worth, and the player his happy to commit to such a new deal, then I don't see the problem.

If as you suggest he is actually unhappy (without any evidence to support this statement might I add) then he is at liberty to not enter negotiations with us for a new deal, have his agent try and get other clubs trigger the release clause, etc.

The scenario where we "bust the bank" and end up with an unhappy player is an impossibility if you ask me, unless you don't trust the club to do the right thing, which is very much unlike you.. ???

Edit: not even going into the details of the formation (discussed at length already) and injury proneness (irrelevant without knowing the details)

all i've said is that if the current rumours (ie 7million) are true than I can see him being away. i believe pardew when he says it's not about the money for him. Just like you are guessing as to the reasons for his poorer form so am I and we are arriving at different conclusions

Im not saying we should be looking to get rid, I've never said that. I hope you are right. we'll see come september.

as for entering talks, see enrique.

all i've said is that if the current rumours (ie 7million) are true than I can see him being away. i believe pardew when he says it's not about the money for him. Just like you are guessing as to the reasons for his poorer form so am I and we are arriving at different conclusions

Im not saying we should be looking to get rid, I've never said that. I hope you are right. we'll see come september.

So what was the "bust the bank" statement all about?

bust the bank is about offering a player more than we can reasonably afford when they really want to be away for other reasons.

bust the bank is about offering a player more than we can reasonably afford when they really want to be away for other reasons.

As I said, not like you to not trust the club to do the right thing. Can you (*theoretically*) really see them offering him beyond our wage structure to entice him to stay despite him stating he wants away? I certainly can't, especially considering what we've done to players who've tried to hold us hostage in contract negotiations lately.

Tbh if Demba Ba wants to leave this club he's a bottling t*** imo.

If Demba goes to a club that has consistently achieved in recent years (something this club has not done), he'll feel it is a lateral move at worst. Even a club like Liverpool would probably be seen as a lateral move by most players and one that will compensate them better. You can only insult him if he leaves for a lesser team.

Newcastle players basically have to see out their careers at the club or become a bit shit so they've no choice but to leave, or else they're a twat.  Haven't been many players left in the last 5 years that haven't been called worse than shit by a significant number of people on here.

Pretty much all of them have earned abuse apparently.

Who cares if people dislike those that have left, really?

I understand your point that Ba is an NUFC player and people are already laying in which is ridiculous, but once players have actually gone people are entitled to be indifferent/call them cunts/not be bothered.

I'll be disapointed in Demba if he leaves, nowt wrong with that. He's moved his reputation on since he's come here and if he leaves he will have effectively used the club as a springboard.

Fair play to him, he's ambitious, can't argue with that (if he does go).