Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

The only 'step up' I can see him getting is Spurs as they're likely going to have to find an Adebayor replacement on a budget, although it's debatable whether they're still a step up. Really can't see any of the Champions League clubs coming in for him. Only other possibility is PSG, but I think he wants to stay in the PL for the time being and with they money they have they'll likely have bigger fish to fry anyway. Personally, I believe he'll still be here when the the transfer window slams shut.

Btw, the only team I was worried would come in for him this summer now no longer have Champions League football to offer him.

Yeah,... take that Steve Kean!

Btw, the only team I was worried would come in for him this summer now no longer have Champions League football to offer him.

Same here.

Spurs looks like they'd rather get Adebayor and Remy, Man Utd/Arsenal don't need him and PSG/Chelsea will be looking at Falcao, Higuain etc.

The Telegraph's slant seems to be a better fit of happenings. Ba isn't as hot a property as he was in January.

Barren run + fears over impending injury + wages + agent fees for any buying club = upper negotiating hand with Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias

Another hot run next season leading up to Christmas could give me cause for concern, but even this is mitigated by the arrival/initial success of Cisse. Ba is not as indispensable as he was to us.

Doubt it's half as adversarial as the media will paint it to be, mind you.

If he'd scored even half the goals he scored in the first half of the season again post ACoN, he'd be gone. However with his goal drought and dodgy knee I don't honestly think anybody will take the plunge, certainly not any clubs that would be a legitimate step up.

Naive maybe, but I'm not convinced. Spurs is the only potential possibility IMO.

Strange (or not) that the two articles have come out at the same time. Something must be afoot.

Do clubs still have press conferences off season?

Just thinking if they do and certain questions are asked it's not beyond the realms of possibility that journalists will take different views of tenuous comments.

Why would we refuse to offer him a new deal without the clause ? make no sense at all, yeah we are gong to keep the clause that means we lose him on the cheap.

very strange

I really can't see any club being prepared to pay £7 million for him and pay him more than the £50k a week he is currently on.  Whichever club he signs for will not be able to insure him, so I think it is just too much of a risk for any purchaser.

I really can't see any club being prepared to pay £7 million for him and pay him more than the £50k a week he is currently on. Whichever club he signs for will not be able to insure him, so I think it is just too much of a risk for any purchaser.

so have we insured him or not ?

Guest Roger Kint

I really can't see any club being prepared to pay £7 million for him and pay him more than the £50k a week he is currently on. Whichever club he signs for will not be able to insure him, so I think it is just too much of a risk for any purchaser.

We insured a free transfer not a £7m one. Would imagine the costs are different

As Roger says I assume.  Obviously I don't know for a fact, but I can't see an insurance company insuring a £7m signing (see Stoke transfer).  And if they do, I assume the premiums would be huge.

I reckon Ashley knows this and probably assumes that the list of clubs willing to take a chance on Demba isn't quite as long as the media and/or Demba's agents would like to make out. He is therefore unwilling to up Demba's already pretty decent salary after a good 1/2 to 2/3s of a season.

Guest Roger Kint

Why would any prospective club have him insured by definition? Is it that common to take out insurance against injuries?

No idea how it works in football tbh. Just assuming thats what Hughsey was meaning

Edit: As he explained above

Why would any prospective club have him insured by definition? Is it that common to take out insurance against injuries?

Again I am not 100% certain - but I can't believe that a club would spend millions of pounds on an uninsured asset that could be worth nothing.  After having paid £7m in transfer fees and then, for example, £15m in wages... you would want some sort of insurance.  It's probably explained in the accounts.

so the cost to insure him would be more rather than "will not be able to insure him" ? I'm guessing west ham insured him.

As Roger says I assume.  Obviously I don't know for a fact, but I can't see an insurance company insuring a £7m signing (see Stoke transfer).  And if they do, I assume the premiums would be huge.

I reckon Ashley knows this and probably assumes that the list of clubs willing to take a chance on Demba isn't quite as long as the media and/or Demba's agents would like to make out. He is therefore unwilling to up Demba's already pretty decent salary after a good 1/2 to 2/3s of a season.

Again, how relevant is this? I imagine the premium for insuring professional footballer's wages and "value" is prohibitive in any case. Why would millionaire/billionaire owners of football clubs insure their assets per se when they know they only people making money from this is the insurance companies. If you have 30 professional players on the payroll you will always have one or two serious injuries. I imagine football clubs can do their own risk management when it comes to this without having to rely on handing over huge insurance premiums.

Guest Roger Kint

so the cost to insure him would be more rather than "will not be able to insure him" ? I'm guessing west ham insured him.

Sorry like i pointed out in my next post that was my take on Hughsey's post, i really dont know

Again I am not 100% certain - but I can't believe that a club would spend millions of pounds on an uninsured asset that could be worth nothing.  After having paid £7m in transfer fees and then, for example, £15m in wages... you would want some sort of insurance.  It's probably explained in the accounts.

First I hear from this. I know national teams insure players (like the FA did with Owen), but that's because they don't actually own the assets and can be liable for claims from the clubs who do when they are injured when on national duty. Would be interesting to see if football clubs normally insure their players. For the average Premiership club (60 million in wages alone, probably close to 100 million player value in balance sheet assets) this would easily cost many millions in insurance premium per annum. I can't see wealthy business men like Mike Ashley handing over this cash to the insurance companies when they can easily carry this risk themselves.