Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

If we've got Cisse as our main striker, then it's a matter of finding the best partner or partners for him, depending on if we go 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. In both cases, that's not necessarily Ba. We've had this debate before, but IMO he doesn't have the mobility to excel in a withdrawn role.

So it's not a matter of who is 'better' than Ba. It's who can do a better job in the particular role that we have for him.

If we've got Cisse as our main striker, then it's a matter of finding the best partner or partners for him, depending on if we go 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. In both cases, that's not necessarily Ba. We've had this debate before, but IMO he doesn't have the mobility to excel in a withdrawn role.

So it's not a matter of who is 'better' than Ba. It's who can do a better job in the particular role that we have for him.

Ba wasn't bad when played on the left.  We probably could get a better player to replace him on the left, I doubt we'd get a player who is better on the left and able to bang in goals like Ba when played through the middle which will happen if or when Cisse is injured or his form dips.

Personally think technically proficient, powerful, professional and tactically astute forwards with 1 in 2 records in the Premier League might be worth holding onto like.

The blasé attitude to losing a very good player who contributed massively to our best season in nearly a decade is mad if you ask me.

:thup:

I could kind of understand if his goal ratio for us was a one off but he has scored a shit load his whole career.

Since ACN he has been shifted out of position, we have got possibly an even better goalscorer to target and despite barely a handful of bad games he has been good even if not scoring.

His confidence did start to look shot towards the end and he couldn't seem to do anything but there is no way we should get rid or not be bothered if he does go. He is a very, very good forward and will be a lot harder to replace than some believe imo.

Personally think technically proficient, powerful, professional and tactically astute forwards with 1 in 2 records in the Premier League might be worth holding onto like.

The blasé attitude to losing a very good player who contributed massively to our best season in nearly a decade is mad if you ask me.

I could kind of understand if his goal ratio for us was a one off but he has scored a s*** load his whole career.

Since ACN he has been shifted out of position, we have got possibly an even better goalscorer to target and despite barely a handful of bad games he has been good even if not scoring.

His confidence did start to look shot towards the end and he couldn't seem to do anything but there is no way we should get rid or not be bothered if he does go. He is a very, very good forward and will be a lot harder to replace than some believe imo.

This.

I was watching some of his goals for us, people seem to forget just how great his eye for the goal was, he could terrorize any defense. Great player, who apparently when playing badly shockingly gets upset...

I'd  be very annoyed to lost him, even if it is a bit of a drogba situation where he needs to be a the main man to score, he'd be great in rotation and as a sub. He probably wants his options open but doesn't mean he is going, I hope he doesn't.

Also his goal against Man U cannot get enough love.

I could kind of understand if his goal ratio for us was a one off but he has scored a s*** load his whole career.

This.

I was watching some of his goals for us, people seem to forget just how great his eye for the goal was, he could terrorize any defense. Great player, who apparently when playing badly shockingly gets upset...

I'd  be very annoyed to lost him, even if it is a bit of a drogba situation where he needs to be a the main man to score, he'd be great in rotation and as a sub. He probably wants his options open but doesn't mean he is going, I hope he doesn't.

Also his goal against Man U cannot get enough love.

Would Ba be prepared to tolerate being used in rotation and as a sub though? I'd like him to stay, but I'd also like us to bring in Hoilett or someone of similar ability, with a view to playing Hoilett-Cisse-Ben Arfa as first choice in a 4-3-3. As a combination, I think that would be better than what we have now.

I don't think Ba would put up with being pushed down the ladder, even if he played quite a few games.

One hopes that if he does go, then the board have someone lined up, and that a sale is not a knee jerk reaction to stalled contract talks.

No one wants to lose there best players, but hopefully Newcastle can be trusted on this one.

Sewelly i agree with moses defo, gotta say though I think Hoilett would slot in well, can only base that on the games iv seen him on like.

Guest johnson293

Apologies if this is already mentioned, but with regard to the £7m clause in Ba's contract, I'm sure in that recent Pardew interview/Q&A on Radio Newcastle, he (Pards) touched on it and said something along the lines of there is a clause, but it isn't as straight forward as you would think.

I'd guess it isn't as clear cut as any club simply bidding £7m, which the media keep peddling, and may hinge on a club being in a certain competition?

Apologies if this is already mentioned, but with regard to the £7m clause in Ba's contract, I'm sure in that recent Pardew interview/Q&A on Radio Newcastle, he (Pards) touched on it and said something along the lines of there is a clause, but it isn't as straight forward as you would think.

I'd guess it isn't as clear cut as any club simply bidding £7m, which the media keep peddling, and may hinge on a club being in a certain competition?

there's a rumour about that it is 7million but there's agent built stuff on top making it closer to 10million.

Would be funny if that counted Spurs out and they really really wanted him. :lol:

Its rumoured it only counts CL clubs so it would count them out  :lol:

Boom goes the dynamite.  :lol:

Would be funny if that counted Spurs out and they really really wanted him. :lol:

Sure it wasn't his knee?

Sure it wasn't his knee?

I used to be a premiership footballer like you, then I took a metal rod to the knee.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/05/27/demba-ba-team-to-talk-about-staying-at-newcastle-79310-31052616/

Demba Ba team to talk about 'staying' at Newcastle

May 27 2012 by Neil Cameron, Sunday Sun

DEMBA BA’s representatives are will soon meet Newcastle United bosses to discuss the striker STAYING at St James’ Park.

The Senegal star dropped a hint late on Friday night regarding whether he was ready to leave the club or stay when he tweeted “My guys are working on it. We’ll wait to see how far talks go,” in response to a fan asking about his future on Tyneside. He then added he was relaxed about the situation.

Ba, currently on holiday, is believed to have a £7m release clause in his contract, meaning that he could talk to any club during the summer transfer window prepared to pay that fee for him, with Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp at the front of the queue.

The Sunday Sun revealed last month that Newcastle expected the player to remain at the club. We understand that Toon boss Alan Pardew is not worried about his free transfer from West Ham moving this summer, as a fee of £7m is a lot to pay for a 27-year-old who has a history of injury problems.

He failed a medical at Stoke in January 2011 because, as manager Tony Pullis said, the club “found something that could be a problem in the future”. A move to Stuttgart a year earlier also fell through for the same reason.

This hadn’t stopped other clubs from expressing an interest, especially when it was reported that he had not signed a new, improved contract.

However, Ba does not give the impression of a player desperate to leave Newcastle.

He scored 16 goals for the Magpies last season, but only one of them came after February 5, which coincided with the arrival of fellow Senegal striker Papiss Cisse.

But Pardew admired the way his player continued to work for the team, even when the goals dried up.

With Alan Smith already gone and Danny Simpson likely to follow, another St James’s Park departure could be long-serving goalkeeper Steve Harper. He was sent out on loan to Brighton last season and, at 37, wants to finish his career as a first-team regular and not as a substitute.

Harper said: “Time is running out and I’m not getting younger. If it’s the same situation next year, I’d look to go on loan somewhere as you can’t get these games back.

“My plans are to go back on July 5 as fit as possible. I’ve been training hard in the two weeks we’ve been off, training three times a week, because pre-season gets harder as you get older.

“I’ll go back as fit as possible and see what happens at the start of the season.

Fabricio Coloccini, meanwhile, has admitted he would have suffered a summer of devastation if Chelsea had killed off his Champions League dreams.

The Argentina star was left gobsmacked as the Londoners beat Bayern Munich on their home pitch to win club football’s greatest prize on penalties last Saturday.

This meant Tottenham, who finished fourth in the Premier League one place above the Magpies, missing out on the Champions League because Chelsea took their place.

That would have been Newcastle’s fate if the final day of the season had gone differently, which is a heartbreaking scenario that the United skipper was glad he avoided.

Coloccini said: “I do feel for Spurs missing out on a Champions League place, after finishing fourth. I would have felt devastated if that had been us.”

“We went into the last game against Everton with a chance of finishing third – and how incredible that would have been – but Everton are a very good team and it wasn’t our day.

“As it happened, Arsenal and Spurs both won but we gave it our best and deserved to finish fifth.”

Guest axel

Transfer Central TNC ‏@TransferNewsCen

The Daily Mail are reporting that Tottenham will bid £7 million for Demba Ba which will activate his release clause

Luke Edwards ‏@LukeEdwardsTele

#thfc look most likely to spring Demba Ba release clause. As I've already reported, expect Luuk De Jong in as replacement if he goes #nufc

The Daily Mail are reporting that Tottenham will bid £7 million for Demba Ba which will activate his release clause

#thfc look most likely to spring Demba Ba release clause. As I've already reported, expect Luuk De Jong in as replacement if he goes #nufc

Isn't there a thread for this rubbish?

Guest axel

Isn't there a thread for this rubbish?

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Dol+wit+et_a567d2_3558158.gif

Don't think anyone will be willing to pay that sort of money for Demba with his medical history. Spurs might have but since they aren't in the CL the clause won't be active for the pauper bastards.