Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Despite Ba's monumental goal return and the fact we need to tie him down to a new contract, I would still rather play Cisse as the central figurehead with Ba a bit wider if we are playing one out and out striker.

The reason is that I think Cisse has better ball control, better vision and isn't as selfish as Ba is.

More often than not you see Ba get the ball when crowded out and instead of waiting for others to join the attack he'll either end up trying to take about 3 people on or will try and score from some impossible position.

His first touch at times is inconsistent as well compared to Cisse's, plus we all know about his stamina issues as playing that roll often requires a lot of selfless running and pressing.

The best goal scorer we've had for the best part of a decade though so don't get me wrong I think he's class but in the role he's playing at the moment I think he could just do with playing the percentages a bit better and work more for the team.

I expect this to go down well. ;)

Neither player should be out wide.

Ba should be central, but deeper.

Also, the guy is class. Think Ba has far better ball control too FWIW. I don't like his individualism sometimes, but I think this is a team problem more than a Ba-only-problem.

Give him whatever contract he wants IMO. Worth it.

Despite Ba's monumental goal return and the fact we need to tie him down to a new contract, I would still rather play Cisse as the central figurehead with Ba a bit wider if we are playing one out and out striker.

The reason is that I think Cisse has better ball control, better vision and isn't as selfish as Ba is.

More often than not you see Ba get the ball when crowded out and instead of waiting for others to join the attack he'll either end up trying to take about 3 people on or will try and score from some impossible position.

His first touch at times is inconsistent as well compared to Cisse's, plus we all know about his stamina issues as playing that roll often requires a lot of selfless running and pressing.

The best goal scorer we've had for the best part of a decade though so don't get me wrong I think he's class but in the role he's playing at the moment I think he could just do with playing the percentages a bit better and work more for the team.

Also, the guy is class. Think Ba has far better ball control too FWIW. I don't like his individualism sometimes, but I think this is a team problem more than a Ba-only-problem.

Definitely. In an ideal world we'd buy somebody that can play the "left forward" role and let him and Cisse fight it out as our main man. Still think part of the reason he's played centrally all season is Pardew trying to get him to sign that new contract.

How stupid would that be, man.

Not sure where the idea Ba is selfish but Cisse isn't has come from, this is the Cisse who backheeled it out for a goal kick when Ba was in acres of space and if Cisse left it we would have had a corner :lol:

Both are selfish in their nature, it's the way they play and when it works it's fantastic.

I would say both players go through spells where they have a good touch and spells where they don't look like they have seen a football in their entire lives.

Not sure where the idea Ba is selfish but Cisse isn't has come from, this is the Cisse who backheeled it out for a goal kick when Ba was in acres of space and if Cisse left it we would have had a corner :lol:

Both are selfish in their nature, it's the way they play and when it works it's fantastic.

I would say both players go through spells where they have a good touch and spells where they don't look like they have seen a football in their entire lives.

:thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

I think we saw the best and worst of Ba today. I especially liked his work-rate and his hold up play but he was selfish at times and very head down like. Strangely, Cisse actually played well, the two of them did, and caused Man City enough problems. The latter needs a few goals for his confidence though and badly. If he can go on a little run, it will do wonders.

Needs to play behind Cisse for me. Papiss has a better touch, more awareness and imo is a better finisher. The central role should be his. Ba should play the "number 10" role, just behind to provide a headache for defenders attempting to track his runs.

Guest palnese

Needs to play behind Cisse for me. Papiss has a better touch, more awareness and imo is a better finisher. The central role should be his. Ba should play the "number 10" role, just behind to provide a headache for defenders attempting to track his runs.

He always drop deep when we play 4-4-2

Reasonably convinced at this stage that his contract is heavily incentivised through goalscoring bonuses. Part of the compromises made during his free transfer because of the potential knee problem, hence the addition of get-out clause and so on. Seems like the kind of thing we'd do because we're terrified of losing money like we did on Owen, and fits with the rumours of him 'only' being on about £40k basic. When he joined the club he wasn't going to be playing anywhere but up front, so it made perfect sense at the time. That changed when we bought Cisse and stuck Ba out wide. He now wants to play through the middle at all times and Pardew is scared of losing him so sacrifices Cisse (or plays the less effective 4-4-2) instead.

I've no evidence whatsoever of course, but it makes sense in my head. :lol:

Reasonably convinced at this stage that his contract is heavily incentivised through goalscoring bonuses. Part of the compromises made during his free transfer because of the potential knee problem, hence the addition of get-out clause and so on. Seems like the kind of thing we'd do because we're terrified of losing money like we did on Owen, and fits with the rumours of him 'only' being on about £40k basic. When he joined the club he wasn't going to be playing anywhere but up front, so it made perfect sense at the time. That changed when we bought Cisse and stuck Ba out wide. He now wants to play through the middle at all times and Pardew is scared of losing him so sacrifices Cisse (or plays the less effective 4-4-2) instead.

Been saying this as well myself recently. Obviously I have nothing to base it on but it makes sense if we're desperate to give him a new contract.

Been saying this as well myself recently. Obviously I have nothing to base it on but it makes sense if we're desperate to give him a new contract.

We've got quite a lot to base it on actually. Shola came on and played wide AGAIN today, how much more proof do we need?

Makes sense because he is shooting as soon as he gets the ball and is never really interesting in passing it. He doesn´t even look up :lol:

Guest sicko2ndbest

@MsiDouglas: Quotes from Demba Ba interview with Canal + in France emerging... Mentions Arsenal interest. Won't exactly calm speculation abt his future.

Not suprised....mercenary prick