Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Cisse is the better player and one of Ba or Cisse had to go.

Why are people so appalled? I would be far more annoyed had Ba signed a new contract and Cisse shipped out.

Why did one have to go?

You could argue because they can't work together..... either Cisse is outwide and quite frankly useless or Ba and Cisse are up top and the whole team can't function.

Despite the dreams of rotating Ba and Cisse it was never going to happen under this management so maybe in the long run shipping Ba out for someone who could you actually make the attack function as Ba and Cisse have never really functioned together.

Will probably end up with egg on our faces but that's the rationale behind it i believe.

I'm not even on about rotation per se. Again, despite everybody here getting a hard on for 433/451, that doesn't seem to be the formation Pardew favours most of the time, rightly or wrongly. I completely fail to see why we couldn't have two quality strikers. Isn't that the least any Premiership club aiming for Europe should have?

People have a hard on for it because it's what suits the majority of our best players if they are put in the right positions anyway....

Pardew has used almost exclusively since the Southampton defeat and i know it hasn't brought results ( mainly due to injuries and other factors so players are out of position) but i feel performances have performed.

I agree but it was never going to happen, as a two they don't work and you know what this board is like.....

In an ideal scenario i'd like to see us bring in a forward to play wide, rotate Ba and Cisse for central striker spot but Ashley will never sanction that in a million years.

I'm still skeptical because im not confident in this board doing the right thing but if we bought a winger-cum striker like Remy to replace him and put Cisse back in the centre i'd believe the team would have actually improved.

I share your skepticism. When have they ever replaced an important player in the same window? Only one I remember since Ashley took over is Nolan/Cabaye.

Nolan was replaced by Cabaye in the same window.

Yes, that was what I was saying.. :idiot2:

Was pointing out that you answered your own question but in all seriousness. Carroll and Ba were in the same window. Enrique and Santon were in the same window as well I believe.

:spit:

:idiot2:

The reason he was laughing is that Carroll and Ba were not in the same window.

Okay maybe my memory isn't that clear. Enrique Santon still holds and he answered himself with Nolan Cabaye.

The willingness to risk our Premier League status by selling Carroll on the last day of the transfer window without any care for replacing him was a well known gamble and something I hope we'll be looking to avoid.  Plenty of time on this occasion as someone said earlier, so there are no excuses.

Whether it be Chelsea or someone else it was only a matter if time for Ba IMO.  I fear for his career if he goes to Chelsea because I can't see him starting every game but tbh with Ba and his agent I don't think that game time will be the first question on their lips.

Was hoping he would leave the country. Watching him play for Chelsea will be rank.

Just be glad he didn't go to Liverpool. Won't be too rank watching him on the bench. As fantastic of a finisher he is I don't think he'll be in front of Torres.

Why are people so appalled? I would be far more annoyed had Ba signed a new contract and Cisse shipped out.

Why did one have to go?

You could argue because they can't work together..... either Cisse is outwide and quite frankly useless or Ba and Cisse are up top and the whole team can't function.

Despite the dreams of rotating Ba and Cisse it was never going to happen under this management so maybe in the long run shipping Ba out for someone who could you actually make the attack function as Ba and Cisse have never really functioned together.

Will probably end up with egg on our faces but that's the rationale behind it i believe.

I'm not even on about rotation per se. Again, despite everybody here getting a hard on for 433/451, that doesn't seem to be the formation Pardew favours most of the time, rightly or wrongly. I completely fail to see why we couldn't have two quality strikers. Isn't that the least any Premiership club aiming for Europe should have?

People have a hard on for it because it's what suits the majority of our best players if they are put in the right positions anyway....

Pardew has used almost exclusively since the Southampton defeat and i know it hasn't brought results ( mainly due to injuries and other factors so players are out of position) but i feel performances have performed.

I agree but it was never going to happen, as a two they don't work and you know what this board is like.....

In an ideal scenario i'd like to see us bring in a forward to play wide, rotate Ba and Cisse for central striker spot but Ashley will never sanction that in a million years.

I'm still skeptical because im not confident in this board doing the right thing but if we bought a winger-cum striker like Remy to replace him and put Cisse back in the centre i'd believe the team would have actually improved.

I share your skepticism. When have they ever replaced an important player in the same window? Only one I remember since Ashley took over is Nolan/Cabaye.

Was pointing out that you answered your own question but in all seriousness. Carroll and Ba were in the same window. Enrique and Santon were in the same window as well I believe.

:facepalm:

2 clear examples so you focus on my one mistake. Nice one.

Fair enough on Enrique/Santon, but for crying out loud, Carroll not being replaced is the classic example of an Ashley transfer gamble. Can't believe you came out with that one, and then pointing out I'm an idiot for laughing at you.. :lol:

Anyway, my point stands that more often than not we have not replaced important outgoing players in the same transfer window, so I'm obviously very concerned the same thing may happen again considering we stand to lose the man who has been responsible for half our goals this season.

There isn't some magic formula that even begins to suggest that Cisse will all of a sudden start banging them in.

Ba is the more dependable of the two for goals and if I had a straight choice with no clauses, etc I'd keep Ba of the two.

Why do people always result to using words like 'magic' and 'automatically' when it comes to stuff like this? What does suggest that Cisse will be every bit as good as competent as Ba if he's deployed in his correct position, is his scoring record. Magic's got nowt to do with it.

Cisse has played in the centre but struggled. This is why people are probably concerned.

Maybe Cisse can only score if he is up top on his own which is fair enough if he does find his feet again but it's a risk to sell your leading scorer whilst hoping the one remaining who hasn't been in form finds it as soon as the other has left.

We aren't really in a position to gamble imo, I know people have said 'well we aren't playing great as it is so why not!?' but we would be in a much bigger mess without Ba's goals if Cisse hadn't hit the ground running.

We don't have a choice though Cajun. If Chelsea are indeed in for him he's gone, and I wouldn't even begrudge him it. What is really concerning is we are again at the mercy of tight arse Ashley, who has a record for gambling when it comes to transfer dealings, or more accurately, lack thereof.

He's had that clause in the contract since day 1 and we've not tried very hard to remove it, despite him being a 1 in 2 striker.

We haven't? How do you know?

Whether it be Chelsea or someone else it was only a matter if time for Ba IMO.  I fear for his career if he goes to Chelsea because I can't see him starting every game but tbh with Ba and his agent I don't think that game time will be the first question on their lips.

Best bit is it'll take all of 4 minutes for him to sign and then tell us it wasn't about the money.

He's (apparently) going to the current European Champions and a team firmly in the title race and he's still greedy?

Why did one have to go?

:facepalm:

2 clear examples so you focus on my one mistake. Nice one.

Fair enough on Enrique/Santon, but for crying out loud, Carroll not being replaced is the classic example of an Ashley transfer gamble. Can't believe you came out with that one, and then pointing out I'm an idiot for laughing at you.. :lol:

Anyway, my point stands that more often than not we have not replaced important outgoing players in the same transfer window, so I'm obviously very concerned the same thing may happen again considering we stand to lose the man who has been responsible for half our goals this season.

Fair enough but have some hope for crying out loud, it's December 30th and you're already acting like it's February 1st with no signings.

Can't say I'm not totally gutted to be losing him but I wonder how much of an impact it will really have, Players come and go all of the time, I am sure if we replace him with Reimy who is more of a Carr scouted player rather than A free best buy like Ba was.

There isn't some magic formula that even begins to suggest that Cisse will all of a sudden start banging them in.

Ba is the more dependable of the two for goals and if I had a straight choice with no clauses, etc I'd keep Ba of the two.

Why do people always result to using words like 'magic' and 'automatically' when it comes to stuff like this? What does suggest that Cisse will be every bit as good as competent as Ba if he's deployed in his correct position, is his scoring record. Magic's got nowt to do with it.

Cisse has played in the centre but struggled. This is why people are probably concerned.

Maybe Cisse can only score if he is up top on his own which is fair enough if he does find his feet again but it's a risk to sell your leading scorer whilst hoping the one remaining who hasn't been in form finds it as soon as the other has left.

We aren't really in a position to gamble imo, I know people have said 'well we aren't playing great as it is so why not!?' but we would be in a much bigger mess without Ba's goals if Cisse hadn't hit the ground running.

We don't have a choice though Cajun. If Chelsea are indeed in for him he's gone, and I wouldn't even begrudge him it. What is really concerning is we are again at the mercy of tight arse Ashley, who has a record for gambling when it comes to transfer dealings, or more accurately, lack thereof.

He's had that clause in the contract since day 1 and we've not tried very hard to remove it, despite him being a 1 in 2 striker.

We haven't? How do you know?

Because he's leaving due to that clause. Quite an obvious answer.

Best bit is it'll take all of 4 minutes for him to sign and then tell us it wasn't about the money.

Which would be fair enough considering it's Chelsea, but even if he did only move for money, wouldn't you? Multiple clubs appear to be willing to pay him what he wants, so he's obviously worth it. Point your blame at Ashley, not Ba.

Can't say I'm not totally gutted to be losing him but I wonder how much of an impact it will really have, Players come and go all of the time, I am sure if we replace him with Reimy who is more of a Carr scouted player rather than A free best buy like Ba was.

The problem will be if we don't replace him with someone like Remy. That doesn't sound like it's as far ahead as I hoped.

Ifs buts and when,  we all know lily livered Pardew is not ever going to play him out wide again so thats a moot point.  Unless your undeniable faith in Pardews ability has changed all of a sudden lol

I never mentioned what Pardew would or wouldn't do, I was on about what would have been best for us.