Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

"One of our two 20 goal a season strikers had to go" ffs.

I thought we were over trying to add 20+20 to get 40 goals a season.

If only it were that simple... Have we not yet arrived at the conclusion that Ba and Cisse aren't comparable as a strike partnership?

How often do wingers and strikers form an effective striker partnership? The only reason they're not playing together is because our dear manager doesn't know how to make it work so he throws one out wide.

There isn't some magic formula that even begins to suggest that Cisse will all of a sudden start banging them in.

Ba is the more dependable of the two for goals and if I had a straight choice with no clauses, etc I'd keep Ba of the two.

The hope being clinged to is that Cisse will play through the centre and we bring someone for wing. I for one think he will start banging them in when he is main man

Anita - Tiote

Ben Arfa  Cabaye  Marveaux

Cisse

Makes me drool tbh...

Yip, looks good with Debuchy and a CB we would be a lot better and hopefully Remy / another on left wing with Cabaye/Marveux and  Bigi fighting for that midfield role.

If only it were that simple... Have we not yet arrived at the conclusion that Ba and Cisse aren't comparable as a strike partnership?

How often do wingers and strikers form an effective striker partnership? The only reason they're not playing together is because our dear manager doesn't know how to make it work so he throws one out wide.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i understand they rarely play together for Senegal either.

Cisse is the better player and one of Ba or Cisse had to go.

Why are people so appalled? I would be far more annoyed had Ba signed a new contract and Cisse shipped out.

Why did one have to go?

You could argue because they can't work together..... either Cisse is outwide and quite frankly useless or Ba and Cisse are up top and the whole team can't function.

Despite the dreams of rotating Ba and Cisse it was never going to happen under this management so maybe in the long run shipping Ba out for someone who could you actually make the attack function as Ba and Cisse have never really functioned together.

Will probably end up with egg on our faces but that's the rationale behind it i believe.

I'm not even on about rotation per se. Again, despite everybody here getting a hard on for 433/451, that doesn't seem to be the formation Pardew favours most of the time, rightly or wrongly. I completely fail to see why we couldn't have two quality strikers. Isn't that the least any Premiership club aiming for Europe should have?

People have a hard on for it because it's what suits the majority of our best players if they are put in the right positions anyway....

Pardew has used almost exclusively since the Southampton defeat and i know it hasn't brought results ( mainly due to injuries and other factors so players are out of position) but i feel performances have performed.

I agree but it was never going to happen, as a two they don't work and you know what this board is like.....

In an ideal scenario i'd like to see us bring in a forward to play wide, rotate Ba and Cisse for central striker spot but Ashley will never sanction that in a million years.

I'm still skeptical because im not confident in this board doing the right thing but if we bought a winger-cum striker like Remy to replace him and put Cisse back in the centre i'd believe the team would have actually improved.

And there is the biggest problem that Pards does not appear to have a clue or plan this year. Even if we buy the players can he mould them into something worthwhile?

What concerns me slightly about Cisse is that last season he scored a lot of stunners and missed a lot of far more straightforward chances. Right now at least, we're losing the better finisher IMO.

The better all-round player is going, don't think there's any doubt about that at all.

However, I've personally got no doubt that if it's down to Cisse to take the central role on his shoulders and be the "main man" again he'll come up trumps for us. He's a special player in his own right.

Agreed. Think Ba is the better all-round footballer but Cisse is the better out-and-out striker.

Completely disagree like.

Yep I disagree too, I think it's the other way around.

We were miles better last season with Ba out wide and Cisse through the middle. Obviously it's not as cut and dry as that but it does say a lot.

Oh yeh now that he's leaving you are all going on about how we depend on his goals,yet these are the same people who keep banging on about him should be playing out wide.

He should have been and would have scored just as many I reckon

David Crossan @davidmcrossan

#nufc #remy nothing new on #OM forward who needs game time and has been hampered by injuries

#om say they have no obligation to sell in Jan and finances are sound.

#remy in quote from earlier this season agreed with #om physios likening him to F1 car. One little thing breaks and that's that.

Sounds just what we need.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i understand they rarely play together for Senegal either.

No idea about any of that but they've had a year together here and haven't both played as in the box strikers very much, if at all. You can't build a striker partnership with 1 striker.

Oh yeh now that he's leaving you are all going on about how we depend on his goals,yet these are the same people who keep banging on about him should be playing out wide.

If he's here and playing out wide he can come back inside if Cisse is injured, if he goes we're relying on a donkey, even if only as cover.

#nufc #remy nothing new on #OM forward who needs game time and has been hampered by injuries

#remy in quote from earlier this season agreed with #om physios likening him to F1 car. One little thing breaks and that's that.

Tbf our injury list is missing another winger

Why are people so appalled? I would be far more annoyed had Ba signed a new contract and Cisse shipped out.

Why did one have to go?

You could argue because they can't work together..... either Cisse is outwide and quite frankly useless or Ba and Cisse are up top and the whole team can't function.

Despite the dreams of rotating Ba and Cisse it was never going to happen under this management so maybe in the long run shipping Ba out for someone who could you actually make the attack function as Ba and Cisse have never really functioned together.

Will probably end up with egg on our faces but that's the rationale behind it i believe.

I'm not even on about rotation per se. Again, despite everybody here getting a hard on for 433/451, that doesn't seem to be the formation Pardew favours most of the time, rightly or wrongly. I completely fail to see why we couldn't have two quality strikers. Isn't that the least any Premiership club aiming for Europe should have?

People have a hard on for it because it's what suits the majority of our best players if they are put in the right positions anyway....

Pardew has used almost exclusively since the Southampton defeat and i know it hasn't brought results ( mainly due to injuries and other factors so players are out of position) but i feel performances have performed.

I agree but it was never going to happen, as a two they don't work and you know what this board is like.....

In an ideal scenario i'd like to see us bring in a forward to play wide, rotate Ba and Cisse for central striker spot but Ashley will never sanction that in a million years.

I'm still skeptical because im not confident in this board doing the right thing but if we bought a winger-cum striker like Remy to replace him and put Cisse back in the centre i'd believe the team would have actually improved.

I share your skepticism. When have they ever replaced an important player in the same window? Only one I remember since Ashley took over is Nolan/Cabaye.

There isn't some magic formula that even begins to suggest that Cisse will all of a sudden start banging them in.

Ba is the more dependable of the two for goals and if I had a straight choice with no clauses, etc I'd keep Ba of the two.

Why do people always result to using words like 'magic' and 'automatically' when it comes to stuff like this? What does suggest that Cisse will be every bit as competent as Ba if he's deployed in his correct position, is his scoring record. Magic's got nowt to do with it.

Why did one have to go?

I share your skepticism. When have they ever replaced an important player in the same window? Only one I remember since Ashley took over is Nolan/Cabaye.

Nolan was replaced by Cabaye in the same window.

Going off Wiki but his appearance record looks fine up until this season.

Not as if he's Darren Anderton or Steven Taylor.

LOL

What concerns me slightly about Cisse is that last season he scored a lot of stunners and missed a lot of far more straightforward chances. Right now at least, we're losing the better finisher IMO.

The better all-round player is going, don't think there's any doubt about that at all.

However, I've personally got no doubt that if it's down to Cisse to take the central role on his shoulders and be the "main man" again he'll come up trumps for us. He's a special player in his own right.

Agreed. Think Ba is the better all-round footballer but Cisse is the better out-and-out striker.

Completely disagree like.

Yep I disagree too, I think it's the other way around.

We were miles better last season with Ba out wide and Cisse through the middle. Obviously it's not as cut and dry as that but it does say a lot.

Agree tbh, they are both fantastic strikers i don't feel there is great deal of difference between the two in general play and that's the crux of the problem in their partnership.

They both are fantastic goalscorers but outside of that don't offer a great deal so the partnership just breaks down.

Why do people always result to using words like 'magic' and 'automatically' when it comes to stuff like this? What does suggest that Cisse will be every bit as good as competent as Ba if he's deployed in his correct position, is his scoring record. Magic's got nowt to do with it.

Exactly, we've even had half a season witnessing it with our own eyes!

Why did one have to go?

Nolan was replaced by Cabaye in the same window.

Yes, that was what I was saying.. :idiot2:

Well that doesn't inspire confidence :(