Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Duff was by and large an abject failure during his time at Newcastle but blaming him for the defeat at Villa Park is bordering upon laughable.

His defending for that goal was laughable and it wouldn't have gone in if he'd either connected with the ball properly or not even bothered to move.

Duff was by and large an abject failure during his time at Newcastle but blaming him for the defeat at Villa Park is bordering upon laughable.

His defending for that goal was laughable and it wouldn't have gone in if he'd either connected with the ball properly or not even bothered to move.

I've just watched that goal, we cleared it, he was running out with the rest of the team and the ball just happened to head for him, he flicked a foot out in reflex, and it went in. No blame whatsoever.

I've just watched that goal, we cleared it, he was running out with the rest of the team and the ball just happened to head for him, he flicked a foot out in reflex, and it went in. No blame whatsoever.

It was a half arsed attempt at clearing the ball which was travelling inches away from his leg and he still couldn’t connect with it.  The ball didn’t hit him, he hit the ball so I don’t see how he’s blameless.

There's some players who relish the big stage and lap up the coliseum atmosphere of St James. Beye was one of those for me and no one will ever convince me otherwise. The fact he still has a house in Darras Hall says everything. 

Guest BooBoo

Beye is still the best RB I have seen at this club.

Which says more about the standard of right backs we've had rather than how good Beye was.

True, but Beye was fucking mint.

He was a decent defender that lost all sense of composure when he got over the half way line, I'd hardly say he was mint.

He had a great four months at the end of the 2007/8 season. Second season he was injured and didnt look at the races.

Guest BooBoo

Agreed.

I don't blame duff for the goal, or the defeat at villa. And to be fair to him, during his 3 years (was it?) with us we had far worse performers on the books.

What winds me up about duff is how he obviously feels so hard done by. As i mentioned above, that game he had against for fulham was better than any performance he ever had in a black and white shirt. Due entirely to the fact that he wanted it so bad, and his work rate that day was immense. Add to that the rediculous goal celebration, i was fuming. I mean seriously, what was he so pissed off about. He was a failure on tynside and he jumped ship the first chance he got. Who's more entitled to be pissed off?

Guest CheickMansour

I don't blame duff for the goal, or the defeat at villa. And to be fair to him, during his 3 years (was it?) with us we had far worse performers on the books.

What winds me up about duff is how he obviously feels so hard done by. As i mentioned above, that game he had against for fulham was better than any performance he ever had in a black and white shirt. Due entirely to the fact that he wanted it so bad, and his work rate that day was immense. Add to that the rediculous goal celebration, i was fuming. I mean seriously, what was he so p*ssed off about. He was a failure on tynside and he jumped ship the first chance he got. Who's more entitled to be p*ssed off?

I've noticed a lot of the players from that period have that sort of mentality. If I remember correctly Carr and Rozehnal both made some pretty bitter comments on leaving, Owen is always making thinkly-veiled jibes on twitter, Duff you mentioned, and obviously there was Abdoulaye Faye's celebration. Not to mention Parker having a go at the fans. There was a real victim mentality amongst that set of players.

What winds me up about duff is how he obviously feels so hard done by. As i mentioned above, that game he had against for fulham was better than any performance he ever had in a black and white shirt. Due entirely to the fact that he wanted it so bad, and his work rate that day was immense. Add to that the rediculous goal celebration, i was fuming. I mean seriously, what was he so p*ssed off about. He was a failure on tynside and he jumped ship the first chance he got. Who's more entitled to be p*ssed off?

I've noticed a lot of the players from that period have that sort of mentality. If I remember correctly Carr and Rozehnal both made some pretty bitter comments on leaving, Owen is always making thinkly-veiled jibes on twitter, Duff you mentioned, and obviously there was Abdoulaye Faye's celebration. Not to mention Parker having a go at the fans. There was a real victim mentality amongst that set of players.

He has since said a lot of good things about us to Cabaye though.

Guest CheickMansour

He has since said a lot of good things about us to Cabaye though.

Ah, really? That's fair enough then, if he doesn't feel he has a grudge to bear.

So if nobody went in for Beye and he stayed, would he be a hero? And if teams wanted Enrique, leading to the club cashing in, would that make him a cunt? When it comes to ex-players now, we react like it's black and white when in reality it's 'shades of grey'.

Beye was beloved here and he left because he was good enough to keep playing in the Premiership. We were a club in disarray. It's not like he's Michael Owen.

Lik

And? Why say what he did in May?

because he believed that Shearer would be giving the job? He only became disillusioned when things were going way too slow.

Like Duff and Bassong, he had a decent offer from a Premiership club and wanted to go. 90% of players would make the same decision in that situation.

Exactly.

People talk about the loyalty the players showed to us when we went down but how many of them would have stayed if they had the chance of a move to a Premiership team on similar wages in front of them?

I can't help but think that its a tad naive to assume the players just sat twiddling their thumbs hoping a club would make an offer for them. Agents are there to sound out interest and I find it hard to believe that someone with CL experience would have no suitors whatsoever. Same goes for a highly rated Spanish U21 left back. If there was interest in any player we'd of heard of it, no question. The fact we didn't suggest that perhaps they were loyal, to an extent at least.

So you presume people were interested but the reason we didn't hear about it is because they shot the interest down before it got to the club or papers?

Or perhaps that the players didn't seek out a move like they easily could have done?!

Colo and Jose struggled in our relegation season. They wouldn't have had many offers on the wages that they were on.

They both improved a fair bit during that year in the Championship.

Lik

because he believed that Shearer would be giving the job? He only became disillusioned when things were going way too slow.

Like Duff and Bassong, he had a decent offer from a Premiership club and wanted to go. 90% of players would make the same decision in that situation.

Exactly.

People talk about the loyalty the players showed to us when we went down but how many of them would have stayed if they had the chance of a move to a Premiership team on similar wages in front of them?

I can't help but think that its a tad naive to assume the players just sat twiddling their thumbs hoping a club would make an offer for them. Agents are there to sound out interest and I find it hard to believe that someone with CL experience would have no suitors whatsoever. Same goes for a highly rated Spanish U21 left back. If there was interest in any player we'd of heard of it, no question. The fact we didn't suggest that perhaps they were loyal, to an extent at least.

So you presume people were interested but the reason we didn't hear about it is because they shot the interest down before it got to the club or papers?

Or perhaps that the players didn't seek out a move like they easily could have done?!

Colo and Jose struggled in our relegation season. They wouldn't have had many offers on the wages that they were on.

No, sorry I just don't buy it, not only do I disagree about Jose being poor (Colo was) but I just don't buy into the idea that those 2 in particular with their calibre knew they weren't gonna get a better offer so didn't bother courting interest. Not hearing of any interest suggests that the agents didnt put the feelers out suggesting that perhaps they may have stayed out of loyalty.

Lik

Exactly.

No, sorry I just don't buy it, not only do I disagree about Jose being poor (Colo was) but I just don't buy into the idea that those 2 in particular with their calibre knew they weren't gonna get a better offer so didn't bother courting interest. Not hearing of any interest suggests that the agents didnt put the feelers out suggesting that perhaps they may have stayed out of loyalty.

What is your point exactly? We know players have agents but even the best agent won't get a shit player into a good club.

Lik

Exactly.

What is your point exactly? We know players have agents but even the best agent won't get a shit player into a good club.

Colo and Jose weren't "shit" players for a start. A point was made earlier that Colo and Jose stayed cos no one was interested in them which I found hard to believe due to their reputations. If they wanted to leave they easily could have, in my opinion they stayed out of loyalty.