Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

He had very little service and it was mostly poor balls, but he didn't help himself really as he didn't get himself into space - he didn't work the channels, come short or make diagonal runs.

The service will be better against weaker opposition, and it's far too early to judge, but he'll have to improve his performance on that evidence. He was rightly taken off and Obertan's pace and running offered much more movement and threat in the final third.

Looking at his goals for West Ham, they got much further up the pitch before playing him in. He is going to struggle with Barton preferring to play the early ball and Jonas not playing any ball.

Guest BooBoo

Was there any explanation as to why he was withdrawn so early? Did he pick up a knock or was it just the measure of his ineffectual first half?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I thought he did the same amount of work as Shola. Neither got any support, very difficult to blame.

Was there any explanation as to why he was withdrawn so early? Did he pick up a knock or was it just the measure of his ineffectual first half?

Pardew in the Sun...

“I took Demba off because we weren’t holding the ball up enough. We couldn’t get enough assets from him,” he said.

“For tactical reasons I brought on Gabby...."

Pardew in the Sun...

“I took Demba off because we weren’t holding the ball up enough. We couldn’t get enough assets from him,” he said.

“For tactical reasons I brought on Gabby...."

Did he mean Shola wasn't holding the ball up or Ba? I don't know that much about Ba but I never figured him as a forward whose asset was holding the ball up, at least not when the ball is being launched at him through the air.

Guess it's possible Pardew might still be trying to work out what kind of forward Ba is and how to get the best out of him. Though presumably he must have some idea!

Chatting with my son this morning and neither of us could really pin down what his best role might be - on his own, in a twosome, or wide. Just haven't seen enough of him.

Should have taken Shola off

This.  Personally didn't think he looked as bad as most are making out.  Few times he made some clever runs and we seemed to hold onto the ball for too long.  Shola was a disgrace as per usual so hardly helped Ba and in the first half we were worse than shite.  Against Arsenal in a game of few chances he did alright ish.  I thought he was better on the ball than Shola (not much of an achievement granted) and think he'll come good.  Going to find out in the next 5-10 games I guess.

Pardew in the Sun...

I took Demba off because we werent holding the ball up enough. We couldnt get enough assets from him, he said.

For tactical reasons I brought on Gabby...."

Did he mean Shola wasn't holding the ball up or Ba? I don't know that much about Ba but I never figured him as a forward whose asset was holding the ball up, at least not when the ball is being launched at him through the air.

Guess it's possible Pardew might still be trying to work out what kind of forward Ba is and how to get the best out of him.

He's a left winger according to Chris Waddle. Mind you, waddle thought Arsenal should have had a pelenty so i wouldn't pay much attention to him.

Guess it's possible Pardew might still be trying to work out what kind of forward Ba is and how to get the best out of him.

He's a left winger according to Chris Waddle. Mind you, waddle thought Arsenal should have had a pelenty so i wouldn't pay much attention to him.

I thought ESPN had Craig Burley on?  I wasn't that pissed was I?!

I thought ESPN had Craig Burley on?  I wasn't that pissed was I?!

I'm on Tramadol at the minute due to a bad back, was halucinating the other night while the wife was watching hollyoaks - so i couldn't swear to it. But i'm fairly sure it was Waddle.