Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

Hmmm in relation to Cabaye thread where someone propose HBA as a trequarista a la messi (which i think is probably too ambitious atm) but wondering if this would allow Marveaux a better role, see

krul

Simp    Colo                taylor  Santon

Tiote

Cabaye          Marveaux

Obertan            HBA              Gutierrez

Marveaux is a winger, despite the claims of many of this boards members (who based their opinions of Marveaux on a collection of tweets from an English, Ligue 1 'journalist').

Hatem Ben Arfa is no striker...

Or on the multiple videos there are of him around the net, where he doesn't once get to the byline and put a cross over from the left, which is the phrase people initially took issue with when you said it.

Not saying he never ever does it, or is incapable of doing it, but there are significantly more occasions on those clips where he's playing from the middle or cutting in from the right to either provide an assist or score a goal himself. Also a surprising number of good free-kick goals as well... and even a header from a corner.

(This isn't all in one compilation, unfortunately, much of it you have to trawl an official Stade Rennais channel and wade through the interviews to find the clips.)

Hmmm in relation to Cabaye thread where someone propose HBA as a trequarista a la messi (which i think is probably too ambitious atm) but wondering if this would allow Marveaux a better role, see

krul

Tiote

Cabaye          Marveaux

Marveaux is a winger, despite the claims of many of this boards members (who based their opinions of Marveaux on a collection of tweets from an English, Ligue 1 'journalist').

Or on the multiple videos there are of him around the net, where he doesn't once get to the byline and put a cross over from the left, which is the phrase people initially took issue with when you said it.

Not saying he never ever does it, or is incapable of doing it, but there are significantly more occasions on those clips where he's playing from the middle or cutting in from the right to either provide an assist or score a goal himself. Also a surprising number of good free-kick goals as well... and even a header from a corner.

(This isn't all in one compilation, unfortunately, much of it you have to trawl an official Stade Rennais channel and wade through the interviews to find the clips.)

The clips on the internet? Geeze. Not saying I've seen him play extensively, but YouTube is hardly something to judge a player on, is it? Whenever I saw Rennes games that he featured (mainly the season before last) he was basically one the touchline, and imo, this is where he played best. A lot of the time he did move inside (onto his right) he was dispossessed. I've not seem him play on the right, so can't comment.

Personally, I'd like to see him used a winger, supplying Best with horizontal/diagonal passes, playing one-twos with HBA and laying the ball off for Cabaye...

It's more to base an opinion on than either just taking your word or listening to a "collection of tweets from an English, Ligue 1 'journalist', surely? Although again it's a seriously flawed method overall, no disputing that.

I think the main point here is that due to your track record people are simply very hesitant to believe anything you say, including your opinion on Marveaux, which is a shame really. The fact you keep dragging it up is hardly helping things, either. Time will tell, at least have the good grace to allow that to be the case.

You might prove to be absolutely correct and he may prove to be a great left-winger (where's madras?) for us, and I hope that's the case, but I don't think people are necessarily wrong for feeling he may be of equal/more potency played out right or more centrally based on a selection of clips, tweets and what they've seen of him so far at NUFC. Especially, again, when the alternative is your opinion.

Ideally we'll have a three in behind a striker who can switch around all over the place and be effective anywhere in different ways, or a two either side/behind the striker/s who can do the same. Fortunately this does look like it might be a very realistic hope and we may see some very attractive football this season because of it.

krul

Tiote

Cabaye          Marveaux

At Forest on Tuesday his first move was almost always inside when faced with a defender.

His best position is left midfield - no doubt. He's basically our only winger with good crosses on hand. When Santon is back, i'd love for Jonás to switch to the right, while Marveaux takes Jonás' place on the left.

Because you don't rate Obertan? ;)

His best position is left midfield - no doubt. He's basically our only winger with good crosses on hand. When Santon is back, i'd love for Jonás to switch to the right, while Marveaux takes Jonás' place on the left.

Because you don't rate Obertan? ;)

I don't rate Obertan. That doesn't take away the facts that Jonás played right midfield before, and that Marveaux is a top left winger. Both Jonás and Marveaux are more or less proven better than Obertan. It's worth a shot.

Guest Dontooner

krul

Tiote

Cabaye          Marveaux

The clips on the internet? Geeze. Not saying I've seen him play extensively, but YouTube is hardly something to judge a player on, is it? Whenever I saw Rennes games that he featured (mainly the season before last) he was basically one the touchline, and imo, this is where he played best. A lot of the time he did move inside (onto his right) he was dispossessed. I've not seem him play on the right, so can't comment.

Personally, I'd like to see him used a winger, supplying Best with horizontal/diagonal passes, playing one-twos with HBA and laying the ball off for Cabaye...

Marvx is a modern day left mid fielder, supports plays well but often drifts all over the pitch in the attacking half. That from watching him in the ligue in 2008 and 2009

However that was when he is at Rennes where he was surrounded with flair players.

From my observation in the few games he played for us, i am quite happy to see him  still drifting about....

Certainly its his key strength as he quite difficult to mark and could often spring surprises to make a game changer.

Imo A player with a superb football brain however very injury prone....and a suspect for defending.

If we ever needed a Nolan replacement in goals, Marvx will be the  person...

If he starts regularly, he would probably score more than Cabaye , since he drifts into strikers positions as though he is one.

Oh yeah,not as effective on the right but tidy at passing and keeping the game ticking

Id start Jonas ahead of Obertan...personally i think we will get a good string of games out of Obertan then sell him tbh, not going to be a long term prospect for us...Jonas is older and i think is more settled and more likely to stay longer. Id rather get an XI sorted with Jonas...Obertan as in impact sub could be very handy too. Guessing alot of people disagree like but tis my personal thought

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Id start Jonas ahead of Obertan...personally i think we will get a good string of games out of Obertan then sell him tbh, not going to be a long term prospect for us...Jonas is older and i think is more settled and more likely to stay longer. Id rather get an XI sorted with Jonas...Obertan as in impact sub could be very handy too. Guessing alot of people disagree like but tis my personal thought

Jonas isn't likely to stay longer at all. He'll be off in the summer I reckon.