Creativity - The element we've been missing for years

BONTEMPI

We seem to be replacing grit with flair. I know which of those two I prefer to watch.

But you always need a balance of both.  One without the other wont do.

This

I agree but our current team is grit heavy and flair lacking. As soon as Ben Arfa was injured Jonas was our only real outlet and I wouldn't class him as a flair player.

So next season, opposition on ball.

Tiote BOOM!

Short pass to Cabaye. Through ball down the left BOOM!

Marveux BOOM!ing down the left cuts inside like he prefers, and lays ball off for Ben Arfa.

BOOM! Ben Arfa has ghosted inside the full back and into the penalty area and slid the ball across the six yard box.

Ba. BOOM!

So next season, opposition on ball.

Tiote BOOM!

Short pass to Cabaye. Through ball down the left BOOM!

Marveux BOOM!ing down the left cuts inside like he prefers, and lays ball off for Ben Arfa.

BOOM! Ben Arfa has ghosted inside the full back and into the penalty area and slid the ball across the six yard box.

Ba. BOOM!

Shush you.

We seem to be replacing grit with flair. I know which of those two I prefer to watch.

It does with Barcelona and Arsenal. :pow:

We do have a decent amount of "grit", work rate at least.

I think it is more work rate, press from the front.

Guest Mantis

Are you confusing Cabaye with Iniesta and Ba with Messi?

Eh?

I can see us blitzing the lesser teams at home this season. I know we did with Villa, West Ham, Wolves & Sunderland last season but I can't see repeats of the Blackpool, Blackburn, Stoke games, etc.

Blackpool game was a fluke but I see where you're coming from.

Think pace is more of importance than creativity at the moment and out of those mentioned by the OP from what I know only HBA and Cabaye are creative. Certainly Tiote isn't and neither is Ba from what I've seen.

The players we're getting and being linked with would certainly suggest we'll be a SBR team - lite next season. Quick on the counter and fairly direct without being longball.

Pace is surely most effective away from home against the 'bigger clubs who will be expected to attack us from the off? The likes of Norwich*, Swansea*, West Brom will surely come up and 'park the bus'.

*I'm actually hoping they'll adopt more of a Blackpool approach and try to attack their way to safety.

Good point but pace and the threat to beat your man and whip in a cross or win a FK may prove just as importance against those teams who as a general rule of thumb tend not have players who are so fleet of foot across the pitch in defensive areas. It also means if they going to be sat deep the likes of Marveaux, Ben Arfa & Cabaye can have more chances to have a pop from the edge of the box, something which we didn't really have aside from Barton last season.

Think you'll be right about NC  and to a lesser extent SC too.

Guest Mantis

Eh?

Straighforward I  thought.  You seem to be suggesting because it works for the best team in the World it will work here with free transfers.

Eh?

Straighforward I  thought.  You seem to be suggesting because it works for the best team in the World it will work here with free transfers.

No you said you need grit, i gave you two examples of teams who don't have grit yet are brilliant sides.

Worth noting that that French guy said that Marveux doesn't really cross or get to the byline at all.

Sell him.

Nah I like the sound of him, sounds like Dyer. I liked Dyer.

Screw grit like. Just play our way to the top.

Damn right.

The entertainers.

For a mid-range club like ourselves if we can't break into the top echelons we may aswell play sexy football while staying where we are.

Screw grit like. Just play our way to the top.

Damn right.

The entertainers.

For a mid-range club like ourselves if we can't break into the top echelons we may aswell play sexy football while staying where we are.

:thup:

Not saying you don't have to be ambitious, but I like your club's statement of intent so far. Let's give people a good time.

Worth noting that that French guy said that Marveux doesn't really cross or get to the byline at all.

Sell him.

Nah I like the sound of him, sounds like Dyer. I liked Dyer.

Aye, but Colocho said he was a traditional winger who DID get to the byline and cross it a lot.

I'm so torn.

Was having a laugh with my mate yesterday about us playing carpet football, more tongue in cheek than anything. But it looks like the days of Carroll knocking the ball down for Nolan are well behind us.

Well Carroll and Nolan are history anyway.