Ba

eventually, like.

In an ideal world, this looks like our best starting XI to me:

Krul

R. Taylor     S. Taylor     Coloccini     Santon

Marveaux     Cabaye     Tiote     Jonas

Ben Arfa

Ba

Bench: Harper, Simpson, Williamson, Gosling, Obertan, Best, Ameobi.

Only choices I even debated for a short time were R. Taylor/Simpson (still feel Simmo long-term), Marveaux/Obertan and Ameobi/Ba/Best.

Without Ben Arfa, i'm thinking somewhere along these lines:

------------------------------- Krul -------------------------------

Simpson --------- Taylor --------- Coloccini -------- Santon

Jonas ----------- Cabaye -------- Tiote ---------- Marveaux

----------------------- Best --------- Ba -------------------------

I see no reason to suggest why Jonas wouldn't be just as effective down the right as he is down the left, especially now that Jose is gone. Simpson could use the help too and Marveaux looks a great little player. That is a good side.

Without Ben Arfa, i'm thinking somewhere along these lines:

------------------------------- Krul -------------------------------

Simpson --------- Taylor --------- Coloccini -------- Santon

Jonas ----------- Cabaye -------- Tiote ---------- Marveaux

----------------------- Best --------- Ba -------------------------

I see no reason to suggest why Jonas wouldn't be just as effective down the right as he is down the left, especially now that Jose is gone. Simpson could use the help too and Marveaux looks a great little player. That is a good side.

I don't think he'd be as effective on the right tbf.

Would I be wrong to suggest that it looks as though only the midfield has been strengthened this summer? Even that's debatable given the influence of Barton and Nolan last season...

Not enough, I do like quite a few of our back up players though and some of our youngsters have a chance to step up.

Shouldn't be the case but the likes of Sammy, Vuckic, Ferguson and maybe even Abeid are going to get chances and I am actually quite excited by that. The general concensus is Ferguson isn't a left back but I am backing the lad to prove a lot of people wrong, tenacious despite being slight of frame, quick and will get forward very well. Reckon this could be his year if given the chance and Santon goes over to the right.

Would I be wrong to suggest that it looks as though only the midfield has been strengthened this summer? Even that's debatable given the influence of Barton and Nolan last season...

I would say the midfield has definitely been strengthened, mainly because Cabaye shits all over Nolan.

I would say so, aye. I'd say we have a marginally stronger first team (on paper), than we did last season - with all incomings and outgoings considered. Marginally.

Albert/Enrique/Cabaye... why don't you think Jonas would work down the right?

Not enough, I do like quite a few of our back up players though and some of our youngsters have a chance to step up.

Shouldn't be the case but the likes of Sammy, Vuckic, Ferguson and maybe even Abeid are going to get chances and I am actually quite excited by that. The general concensus is Ferguson isn't a left back but I am backing the lad to prove a lot of people wrong, tenacious despite being slight of frame, quick and will get forward very well. Reckon this could be his year if given the chance and Santon goes over to the right.

I would love that. Pinning a lot of hope onto Ferguson and Tavernier.

Abeid, Ameobi and Vuckic go without saying.

Really hoping that happens with Ferguson. Been saying it for the past couple of days, as Simpson has been poor ever since Hughton went.

IMO they should all be out on loan getting their minutes in, not filling in for squad deficiencies.

Not to make excuses for the wankers who have failed us this summer, but i would genuinely consider the likes of Vuckic, Sammy and Ferguson as 'new signings'. They certainly weren't really official squad members last season, with only Ferguson looking remotely likely of breaking into the first team.

That said, if the likes of Lovenkrands and Smith keep getting the nod ahead of them, then fucking forget it.

Krul

Simpson  Taylor  Coloccini  Santon

Tiote      Cabaye

Marveaux        Ben Arfa        Jonas

Ba

eventually, like.

I'd wager we'll never see Ba, Marveaux and Ben Arfa in the same starting 11.

only if you look at it in the most basic of terms, merveaux isn't a forward but is very attacking,cabaye is a midfielder but will overall be much better for us than nolan.

I am amazed by the basic way many look at football, very much in FM terms, how many on here scream for 4-4-2 with wingers etc when it's patently obvious thats not going to get the best from our squad.

I really think Ferguson is ready, have more hope for him than anyone else.

Tav has also impressed every time I have seen him.

We have a lot of talented youth, it would be scary to have to rely on them over a long period but the odd game will help them a lot.

IMO they should all be out on loan getting their minutes in, not filling in for squad deficiencies.

Agree entirely. Still think a couple of them will, at least. We're in good shape in terms of fitness at this moment, would be a good opportunity to get them out for a month or more.

I really think Ferguson is ready, have more hope for him than anyone else.

Tav has also impressed every time I have seen him.

We have a lot of talented youth, it would be scary to have to rely on them over a long period but the odd game will help them a lot.

agree with ferguson. i would have no qualms in putting him in the left of  midfiled 3 or even in the 2 behing the forward.

Ideally they would; but i think they're going to be very useful members of the squad tbh - Vuckic in-particular. Tbf, they've all barely had a proper taste of first team action... and certainly not in the Premier League. I don't think keeping them at the club for another year, with the odd appearance here and there, will harm their development at all. In 12 months time - definitely - they should be out playing regularly. Still extremely young at the moment though.