Current line up...

madras

A lot comes down to who peforms in pre-season of course. I'd like to think Super Leon will have another good one, and it'll be him, Ba and Ben Arfa anihilating Arsenal on the first day.

Best was looking like a proper player just before he got injured. Why all of a sudden is he being told to find another club? Or is that just more paper talk? I wouldn't of thought his wages are too high either.

Think Ronaldo will be proposing civil partnership to you after this post.

I like the idea of Jonas in a midfield 3. I think his energy and possitive dribbling would be good for the side. However I'm not sure this would be my starting midfield, I have Barton with Cabaye and Tiote. I don't really rate Jonas as a winger too much as I think he feels he has too much time and tries to do a bit too much so hopefully the new lad (I'm not gonna attempt to spell his name!) ends up being a good signing alongside Ben Arfa behind Ba. Jonas will be adequate cover for a number of positions I think. Deffinately need anorther striker though. With cureent squad we could get 10th atleast. If we can make a few decent signings in key positions and maybe a top 8 finish is on the cards. Quite ecited to see what the window has in store...

Got to say, makes virtually zero sense putting Best - of all our strikers - on the transfer list, if that is anything like the case. Laughably bad in the Championship but he looked a reasonable striker in that wee purple patch he had at the turn of the year. No world-beater by any means but more worthy of a squad place than Lovenkrands or Ranger. Can't be on that extravagant a salary and i can't see us making that much of a profit on him.

Guest Nikos34

The Jonas in the centre thing will never be a good idea, it's probably why he's always played on the wing. He runs loads on the wing cos he's got space there. He'd get crowded out in the centre. His languid running style means that his ball control is a bit unorthodox, and he's not technically brilliant either; it's just not his game. Runs with his head down a lot too. I don't think he's suited for the centre one bit, and would surrender possession quite frequently.

We all know what Jonas is about (and just to go all FM for a sec) - direct running, stamina, pace, determination - they're his chief attributes, and you need more than that for the centre. I wouldn't even have him there in a 4-3-3. He's a winger, plain and simple.

So because he is fit, fast and tricky he would be of no use in there? He would shine much more in a position where he would be constantly involved rather than being starved of the ball out wide. Especially this season where it looks as if we are going to have a much more mobile attacking midfield unit than we've had in the last few seasons. With Ben Arfa back and if this Marveaux turns out to be any good as a winger along with Ferguson, then I think Jonas would be ideal in a roaming midfield role where he could buzz around and frustrate the opposition. People seem to be playing far too much Football Manager on here. A player's position is not set in stone in the real world and teams should be flexible. A decent manager should experiment and try ideas such as this. They train everyday don't they?

No. He would be of no use there because of the reasons i mentioned. Scroll up cos i can't be bothered to write them again.

Well if you're talking about an inability to look after the ball and him being technically poor then you must be talking about a different player to me.

Other than Coloccini, Enrique and Ben Arfa there is only Jonas in the squad who can deal with the ball in a tight situation! Oh and Shane Ferguson (class).

The Jonas in the centre thing will never be a good idea, it's probably why he's always played on the wing. He runs loads on the wing cos he's got space there. He'd get crowded out in the centre. His languid running style means that his ball control is a bit unorthodox, and he's not technically brilliant either; it's just not his game. Runs with his head down a lot too. I don't think he's suited for the centre one bit, and would surrender possession quite frequently.

We all know what Jonas is about (and just to go all FM for a sec) - direct running, stamina, pace, determination - they're his chief attributes, and you need more than that for the centre. I wouldn't even have him there in a 4-3-3. He's a winger, plain and simple.

So because he is fit, fast and tricky he would be of no use in there? He would shine much more in a position where he would be constantly involved rather than being starved of the ball out wide. Especially this season where it looks as if we are going to have a much more mobile attacking midfield unit than we've had in the last few seasons. With Ben Arfa back and if this Marveaux turns out to be any good as a winger along with Ferguson, then I think Jonas would be ideal in a roaming midfield role where he could buzz around and frustrate the opposition. People seem to be playing far too much Football Manager on here. A player's position is not set in stone in the real world and teams should be flexible. A decent manager should experiment and try ideas such as this. They train everyday don't they?

No. He would be of no use there because of the reasons i mentioned. Scroll up cos i can't be bothered to write them again.

Well if you're talking about an inability to look after the ball and him being technically poor then you must be talking about a different player to me.

Other than Coloccini, Enrique and Ben Arfa there is only Jonas in the squad who can deal with the ball in a tight situation! Oh and Shane Ferguson (class).

Do yourself a favour and stop!!!

Tiote.

Do yourself a favour and stop!!!

I'd see this as a first choice front six -

.................Ba

...Ben Arfa.....Marveaux

Cabaye....Tiote....AN Other

The AN Other is crucial, and I'd like to see a player with a bit of height in that position. Our back five (apart from Willo and Taylor) aren't good at defending set pieces. Last year, they had Carroll, Shola, Tiote, Nolan, Jonas and Barton to help out. This year - only one of those players and possibly Ba. I'm not sure that Jonas will be first choice. The back five will need a bit more help.

That's unless we go for the pipe-dream Barca option of being so good in possession and so good at winning the ball back in the opposition half that the defence gets protected that way. Not realistic.

But I'm very intrigued to see how things are shaping up. It seems that the likes of Cabaye, Ba and Marveaux have bought into what is being planned.

I have to say I really miss Carroll, looking at theese line ups. He would be the perfect striker for this team. Bendtner could be a good replacement for him though. In the mean time. Ba on a free will do.

Surprised by the amount of people who would be happy to finish 8th. That would be absolute failure as far as I'm concerned. We'd have comfortably finished there with Carroll at our disposal last year and that money has been touted as making us much stronger.

Surprised by the amount of people who would be happy to finish 8th. That would be absolute failure as far as I'm concerned. We'd have comfortably finished there with Carroll at our disposal last year and that money has been touted as making us much stronger.

The jump from 7th to any higher is massive though. Everton, Spurs and Liverpool are established sides so 7th or 8th gives us a decent base to chase them.

Guest Roger Kint

8th would be very respectable this season IMO, don't know why you dismiss it so easily Wullie.

Better finish than 10 out of the last 14 years for us.

Edit: The points we gain will be more telling, less than 50 wouldnt be so respectable tbh but could gain than position.

8th, an absolute failure? Feck me. Looks like you'll not be having much fun again next season.

It's ludicrous to claim we would have "comfortably finished 8th" if we hadn't sold Carroll as well. The lad hardly played after January.

There are infinite ifs and buts about this game or player and that, but the fact is that we didn't finish there and to do so this season would represent steady progress.

We were a couple of minutes of defending away from finishing 9th this season just gone which included sacking our manager for supposedly not being good enough. After selling our best striker for big money with the excuse being that the squad will be improved with that money, I can't see why 8th would represent a great deal of progression tbh.

I think 8th would be progress, although i'll be happy if we avoid relegation fight TBH.

This is how i see the team ATM, ( i see Barton gone).

Krul

Simpson      Coloccini      Taylor        Enrique

Cabaye        Tiote

Marveaux              Ben Arfa              Jonas

Ba

We were a couple of minutes of defending away from finishing 9th this season just gone. After selling our best striker for big money with the excuse being that the squad will be improved with that money, I can't see why 8th would be a massive progression.

You seem to be putting words in peoples mouths there. I believe Ian said it would be steady progression, not massive progression (personally anywhere top 10 after a second season rebuild would do me at this stage).

Do you side more with Wullie in thinking that 8th would instead be an absolute failure?

Were we 8th when he left ?

Carroll? We were in 9th, one point behind and a +9 GD advantage.

so bearing in mind we were within 45mins of finishing 9th you could we we stayed about where we were. to say had carroll stayed we'd easy have finished 8th doesn't really stand up.

regarding 8th place, it wasn't so long ago SBR was saying that there was a massive step from 5th to 4th. with citeh getting their arab money and spurs getting their act together i'd say the gap between 6th and below is as massive.

The fact is we finished 12th. For me, to finish four places better and have a better squad would represent steady progress. If we follow that up with a good summer next year then we're looking at Europe again.

To expect anything higher than 8th really seems mental to me for this coming season. That would mean finishing above a number of established teams.

I'm not saying I'm happy that NUFC is in a position where we're aiming to finish 8th, the long term we should obviously be looking to do better. But considering where we are now I would be happy with 8th come the end of this season.

We were a couple of minutes of defending away from finishing 9th this season just gone which included sacking our manager for supposedly not being good enough. After selling our best striker for big money with the excuse being that the squad will be improved with that money, I can't see why 8th would represent a great deal of progression tbh.

We were one goal from staying up a few years ago.

I'd be satisfied with anywhere in the top half next season, i think. To have progressed is the absolute bare minimum - otherwise several people want stringing up. It would be an absolute failure to not even slightly be in the race for a UEFA Cup spot, when you consider the money we have to spend and the time we've had to plan how. However, it's going to be a transitional period so i won't expect miracles.