The other games today - 2011/12

Baggio

Re: Cahill, I can see why it was given because even though it's not a "clear goalscoring opportunity", it is an extremely promising break for Spurs and even though Knight's covering, Parker has a fairly simple pass to the forward in the middle who is free - clear it's not but I'd expect Spurs to at least create a decent chance from that position. Giving a free kick and the same punishment that you would get for taking your shirt off or, as Cabaye and Ben Arfa did last week, bouncing a ball or shouting at Wayne Rooney, seems like it doesn't really fit. If it had been us, I think I'd have shouted red.

Honestly think the disciplinary system needs looking at, the FA have introduced yellow cards for so many minor offences and made so many fouls card-worthy that the yellow has become too wide ranging. I think the FA should think about introducing the sin-bin. Taking your shirt off = yellow and Cahill = yellow and 20 minutes in the sin bin.

The Everton Stoke game was embarrassing mind. Awful stuff from both sides, I'm surprised they could find any highlights in that to show at all.

Re: Cahill, I can see why it was given because even though it's not a "clear goalscoring opportunity", it is an extremely promising break for Spurs and even though Knight's covering, Parker has a fairly simple pass to the forward in the middle who is free - clear it's not but I'd expect Spurs to at least create a decent chance from that position. Giving a free kick and the same punishment that you would get for taking your shirt off or, as Cabaye and Ben Arfa did last week, bouncing a ball or shouting at Wayne Rooney, seems like it doesn't really fit. If it had been us, I think I'd have shouted red.

Honestly think the disciplinary system needs looking at, the FA have introduced yellow cards for so many minor offences and made so many fouls card-worthy that the yellow has become too wide ranging. I think the FA should think about introducing the sin-bin. Taking your shirt off = yellow and Cahill = yellow and 20 minutes in the sin bin.

Completely agree. The disciplinary system badly needs more granularity. A couple weeks ago an Osasuna player got sent off for taking off his shirt and getting a soft yellow afterwards. You have to be thick of course, but it underlines how moronic the current penalty system can be.

From MauJ in Darlington, via text: "Good luck to Jay Spearing, he has a massive gap to fill as Lucas has been immense! Jay will do just fine if he remembers you'll never walk alone! C'mon red men in Kenny we trust."

:puke: