The other games today - 2011/12

Baggio

[i actually don't mind Fulham so much tbh. Surprises me how they've kept on to Hangeland with no speculation or fuss when the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City have central defenders who are arguably less solid].

As usual, Athletic looked great but failed to capitalise on it and ended losing. Still, they won their group :thup:

Still think Bielsa's got something great going on there (taking into account the club's limitations when recruiting personnel), and at some point it will finally click and deliver the results. They have been steadily improving after the very shaky start to the season. They probably have their most talented squad since the mid-90s, when they last qualified for the CL.

As usual, Athletic looked great but failed to capitalise on it and ended losing. Still, they won their group :thup:

Still think Bielsa's got something great going on there (taking into account the club's limitations when recruiting personnel), and at some point it will finally click and deliver the results. They have been steadily improving after the very shaky start to the season. They probably have their most talented squad since the mid-90s, when they last qualified for the CL.

Shame they're having such a bumpy start, the last CL place is up for grabs for a team like Athletic.

10 points below 4th at this time, they lost too much ground at the beginning. Still, they should be in the fight for the EL. I don't think they were expecting to challenge for 4th this season anyway, given the radical change in playing philosophy. If they manage to hold on Llorente (talk of him going to a big club has cooled off lately), they could mount a challenge next season. Most of the Athletic supporters I know are very proud of how they are playing under Bielsa :thup:

Athletic were a Top 6 team until the mid-90s, when the Bosman ruling started filling the other clubs' squads with foreign imports they were barred from signing due to their philosophy. To see them again in Europe, after quite a few seasons looking at the bottom of the table, is huge.

FWIW one of Bielsa's disciples, Jorge Sampaoli, is about to win the Copa Sudamericana (UEFA Cup equiv - they're 2-0 up at mo on agg.) with U.de Chile.

He said earlier this week - "I always set the team to Bielsa's philosophy... to show great intensity and control [possession]." They're also unbeaten in over 30 games and have pissed the Chilean Clausura title.

Bielsa is one of those characters I think it's impossible to dislike such is the mans passion for the game and his art. Shame really he didn't overly do brilliant with Argentina (but he wasn't the first nor the last who has not got them playing to their full potential)

Shame they're having such a bumpy start, the last CL place is up for grabs for a team like Athletic.

Muniain  :snod:

FWIW one of Bielsa's disciples, Jorge Sampaoli, is about to win the Copa Sudamericana (UEFA Cup equiv - they're 2-0 up at mo on agg.) with U.de Chile.

He said earlier this week - "I always set the team to Bielsa's philosophy... to show great intensity and control [possession]." They're also unbeaten in over 30 games and have p*ssed the Chilean Clausura title.

Bielsa is one of those characters I think it's impossible to dislike such is the mans passion for the game and his art. Shame really he didn't overly do brilliant with Argentina (but he wasn't the first nor the last who has not got them playing to their full potential)

Pep has acknowledged his influence quite a few times, apparently when he visited him in Chile they spent 11 hours talking about just football. Pep's recent use of 3-man defences, even though he credits Cruyff for it, has a lot of Bielsa's Chile.

His press conferences for Athletic are just fascinating.