Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

I think he'll be remembered more fondly as the years go by. Also think there'd be less hate if he wasn't the captain.

There'd be less hate for Pardew if he wasn't the manager, too.

If you give someone a role and they perform it so badly it makes the club look like a fucking laughing stock, culminating in relegation, they deserve all the criticism one can throw.

I think he'll be remembered more fondly as the years go by. Also think there'd be less hate if he wasn't the captain.

If you give someone a role and they perform it so badly it makes the club look like a f***ing laughing stock, culminating in relegation, they deserve all the criticism one can throw.

Let's be honest, in a list of "reasons why Newcastle got relegated?," Colo being the captain is very far down the list. Unless you're blaming him for the fact we didn't sign another CB and also for the fact that we miraculously signed a lot of players with zero character or leadership.

If you give someone a role and they perform it so badly it makes the club look like a f***ing laughing stock, culminating in relegation, they deserve all the criticism one can throw.

Let's be honest, in a list of "reasons why Newcastle got relegated?," Colo being the captain is very far down the list. Unless you're blaming him for the fact we didn't sign another CB and also for the fact that we miraculously signed a lot of players with zero character or leadership.

I think one of the biggest things we've lacked for years now is on-field leadership. When we go behind in games heads drop and don't recover.

Ron's right, a lack of leadership and character was one of the biggest reasons for our demise. Coloccini was the second biggest culprit, behind the manager.

Think rather than a lack of leadership it was the schism in the squad that cost us

Which also begs the question as to whether he was a great captain. He certainly didn't seem to be a unifying presence.

He unified those on his 'side' - just look at all the positive messages from players saying how great he was etc. The divide in the camp was too much for any captain to alleviate.

I don't think Colo will be remembered at all TBH, in the pantheon of players he's basically irrelevant.

He's the second best centre half we've had since I've been watching. Will remember fairly fondly in years to come.

Ron's right, a lack of leadership and character was one of the biggest reasons for our demise. Coloccini was the second biggest culprit, behind the manager.

A lot of people had doubts when he was appointed in 2011 due to his lack of talking on the pitch but what were the options? Again, surely you should blame Pardew for appointing him as a captain? Some people simply aren't made to be captains. We did finish 5th in his 1st season as captain and he made the PFA team of the year mind.....!

Constantly signing players on the promise that they are able to move on to bigger and better things and use us as a stepping stone  surely has a lot to do with how the whole team's heads go down when we fall behind?

Thankfully, that stupid transfer structure has now been binned and we've already seen signs of bringing in players who care with leadership qualities!

I don't think Colo will be remembered at all TBH, in the pantheon of players he's basically irrelevant.

He's the second best centre half we've had since I've been watching. Will remember fairly fondly in years to come.

Just seen that comment - fuck me!

A lot of people had doubts when he was appointed in 2011 due to his lack of talking on the pitch but what were the options? Again, surely you should blame Pardew for appointing him as a captain? Some people simply aren't made to be captains. We did finish 5th in his 1st season as captain and he made the PFA team of the year mind.....!

Constantly signing players on the promise that they are able to move on to bigger and better things and use us as a stepping stone  surely has a lot to do with how the whole team's heads go down when we fall behind?

Thankfully, that stupid transfer structure has now been binned and we've already seen signs of bringing in players who care with leadership qualities!

I wanted him to be captain at the time but mainly because he was our best player. It was a mistake because he didn't lead players on the pitch.

I've never seen a centre half so quiet, let alone a captain.

I've never seen a centre half so quiet, let alone a captain.

This is exactly right. You think about that and it's no coincidence we got relegated twice with him as our senior CB - both times with awful defensive records.

I think the biggest thing you can blame him for is not being 4" taller. What we have desperately needed at the back during his time is a big commanding centre back, that was never his forte. If he was given the captaincy that says more about the rest of the squad than him.

This is exactly right. You think about that and it's no coincidence we got relegated twice with him as our senior CB - both times with awful defensive records.

Yes, the reason for our two relegations was due to Colo being quiet  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, the reason for our two relegations was due to Colo being quiet  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah, due to him (and others) being utterly shit and playing for themselves. We both know we wouldn't have gone down with a proper captain organising the back 4.

Really? After 8 years and 260+ appearances?

Well I'll remember he played for us, but I doubt people will have any particular affection for him.