Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

This is probably a stupid question, but given the lack of on the ball ability on the right hand side of our defence compared to the left, would it be an idea to switch Williamson and Coloccini to balance things out a bit?

I know players tend to favour (and play on) one side or another, but could the benefits outweigh any drawbacks?

Have you seen Williamson on his strongest side?

:lol:

IMO he does the basics well enough though, and I'm not sure why that would be affected so much. It's not like Colo always uses his left foot because he's on the left. Obviously he has the ability to do it, but most of the time he doesn't need to. Where Williamson really suffers is when the ball is at his feet, and it doesn't help that his most common out-ball is to another player who's not that comfortable in possession either. Which therefore damages our whole game, because between the two they end up launching it too often.

Anyway it's not going to change, was just wondering about it.

:lol:

IMO he does the basics well enough though, and I'm not sure why that would be affected so much. It's not like Colo always uses his left foot because he's on the left. Obviously he has the ability to do it, but most of the time he doesn't need to. Where Williamson really suffers is when the ball is at his feet, and it doesn't help that his most common out-ball is to another player who's not that comfortable in possession either. Which therefore damages our whole game, because between the two they end up launching it too often.

Anyway it's not going to change, was just wondering about it.

I thought about it earlier this season when Taylor was playing left of centre and Williamson was having a mare.  The thought of Williamson running to the left just sent shivers up my spine.  He gets turned far too easily and I can only imagine the state he would get into playing cack footed.

It might force him to pass the ball more mind if he's uncomfortable hoofing the ball with his left-foot, either to Santon or one of the midfielders.

His natural instinct wouldn't be to pass, it would be to hit row z because he'd be running from centre to left.  For him to pass in field would mean he's either having to turn 90' or use his wrong foot, something I'd have problems with even trying to think about.

Guest neesy111

When he signed that contract last March he probably asked if the club were going to invest and he probably wanted some assurances that it would be in defence.  Makes me sad such a good defender has some shite around him.

To be honest I wouldn't want my premier centre half applauding anyone after conceding 7 in the game straight after conceding 4.  Difficult away games I admit and I'm a big Colo fan and I'm in no way blaming him, I think it was the right thing for him to do rather than a sign of dressing room issues.  We do need to get him a partner in January though.

He is not right but many of them look that way, confidence is rock bottom its now we look to our Skipper but as much as I love Colo just cannot imagine him a that kind of Captain, not a team lifting vocal kind of person.

He is not right but many of them look that way, confidence is rock bottom its now we look to our Skipper but as much as I love Colo just cannot imagine him a that kind of Captain, not a team lifting vocal kind of person.

Leads perfectly by example, but not the arse kicking type of leader we have needed on occasions this season.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Gets away with murder

If Simpson had of backed off like that he'd have been hung

He was covering for the invisible 'Perchino'.

Sorry wasn't it Jelavic who delivered ?

Guest chicken little

exactly, no way his fault - he got dragged out wide by the gaping f***ing hole where the right-back should have been.

Gets away with murder

If Simpson had of backed off like that he'd have been hung

Absolutely. I don't want to seem like i'm blindly defending a favourite, but i'm honestly not sure what he's expected to do when 90% of the time he's got to do the work of more than one man.