Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Before making any firm comment on this, I would like to know the REAL reason Coloccini wants to leave right now but I suspect we'll never find out.

It hardly seems sensible for a player to sign a long term new contract and then ask to go unless he is trying to do the club a favour by making sure they get a decent fee, but in this case, the club he allegedly wishes to join cannot afford to pay a decent fee.

Also, you could understand him wanting to go back home in maybe 2 years time as he would be nearing the end of his PL career at the top but to leave for Argentina now when he is one of the best CBs in the PL seems strange to say the least - as for his wife's supposed unrest, even a move to a Spanish side would seem to make sense as he is going to lose a fortune going back to Argentina so soon.

No, the given official reasons for this don't stack up as far as I'm concerned - there is far more than meets the eye to this and either he has got himself into a very difficult personal situation(and we can all speculate on what that might be....) or there is a problem at the club he can't see being resolved and it would be far easier to guess what THAT might be..!

Eiither way,ts a disaster - he is the best defender at the club by a mile and we reached 5th last season largely as a result of his defensive play...look at the Norwich result last season when he and Taylor had been injured ...he has never rocked the boat in any way and this would seem to be out of character but I can see why he would be pi--ed off with the club's lack of team strengthening in the summer and with Pardew as a manager this season...maybe there is a bigger problem at the club about this than is apparent but most players know they can't do anything about it.

Still surprised that he wants to go so quickly unless there is either a major personal issue or he has had a big falling out with the club.

We all know that the chances of successfuly replacing this guy are next to zilch with the current board so it poses a huge problem - if he leaves in this window, my Relegation estimate will immediately rise to an 8 from 6.

I said last week the club was in a mess and some disagreed - I'm going to repeat it but this time its in a bigger mess than I thought.

The positive in this is that the way were playing right now, we'd be shite with 90s Maldini and Baresi at CB, so it matters not whether we're playing Willo and Perch at CB, we're gonna lose either way. :thup:

(Yes, I'm sad right now)

Guest The Boo She

He's the best centre back we've had since Woodgate and any potential player looking to join the club will be apprehensive when they see that our club captain wants to leave.

Williamson and Perch until the end of the season I guess since Taylor spends so much time on the treatment table  :weep:

Why the f*** did I have to support these f*** tards!I f***ing loved Colo :(

The dreaded shirt curse has struck me again.

Got Shearer on the back of my championship shirt, he never returned as manager

Got Jose Enrique on my shirt first season up, he left

Got Nolan on my shirt second season up, he left

I chose Coloccini this year because he is captain and just signed a 5 year deal. NOW HES LEAVING.

I chose Coloccini this year because he is captain and just signed a 5 year deal. NOW HES LEAVING.

Use your power for good, man.

:lol: get magic mike plastered back and front

Can't possibly see Coloccini leave unless he or the new club in Argentina pays Ashley what he wants. That's, at the very least, reassuring.

This, I cannot see Ashley selling him on the cheap.  this window, may be different in the Summer if Coloccini does have personel reasons to go back home

:lol: He's gonna end up with like six or seven shirts.

Got massive respect for Colo but if he ditches us in January it will all be lost.

Ashley has seldom considered competition for places something worth paying for so when Pardew started talking about centre backs coming in we should have been asking who will be going out the door. I never though for a second that might be Colo because the player seemed happy and the club would surely know it could spell disaster to lose the captain mid-season. The chances of finding and attracting a player of his quality are slim and the chances of Ashley financing a deal for such a player are even slimmer.

Despite his goals, the Ba transfer could theoretically work out better for the team IF we find the right replacement but in Colo's case it is hard to see any potential silver lining. He was immense last season.

I'm thinking of getting Shola (home shirt), Williamson (away shirt) and Alan Pardew ( third shirt)

:lol: He's gonna end up with like six or seven shirts.

Honestly man, this season is a tester like....nothing going right.  Sure we heard this rumour a while back but now seemed to re-surface, wonder if the apparent 'spat' with Pardew has tipped him over the edge.

If he were to leave in January, we're in a dire situation.  We'd then need 2 centre backs (not to mention they'd have to hit the ground running and instantly gel with each other!) and Ba's replacement at least, call me a pessimist but I just don't see it.  We simply need him to stay, if he's made his mind up about leaving it can't be now.

dunno if anyone had put the full article up...

Newcastle United have been rocked by the request of their captain, Fabricio Coloccini, to leave the club during the January transfer window. The 30-year-old told club officials today that he wanted to return home to Argentina.

His representatives flew to Tyneside for a meeting to tell the club that the player no longer felt he could stay and wished to leave before the end of the month. That is a massive blow to manager Alan Pardew's attempts to steer Newcastle away from the Premier League relegation zone. The club have won twice in their last 16 games and head to Norwich tomorrow without a league victory away from St James' Park this season.

Coloccini is currently the best paid player at St James' Park, on a salary of around £3m per year. He has become a hugely dependable and popular performer at the club and his display in the Tyne-Wear derby with Sunderland earlier in the season brought comparisons to Bobby Moore from Pardew.

However, Coloccini's form has dipped recently and his father, Osvaldo, has expressed a wish for his son to be allowed to return home for what his agent called "personal matters". Newcastle must now decide whether to allow the £10m signing from Deportivo La Coruña in 2008 to leave during the transfer window. That may depend on whether they can find a replacement before the end of the month.

Coloccini signed a new four-year deal last year to stay at the club but the desire from the Argentina international now is to return home, possibly to join San Lorenzo, for whom he played for during the 2000-01 season and where his father is now employed. Osvaldo has admitted his son is eager to move back to the club for whom he played on loan from Milan for a season. Newcastle may have to consider the possibility of loaning the central defender to San Lorenzo, with the Argentinian side unlikely to be able to pay a major fee for a player who made the Premier League team of the year last season.

Pardew had provisionally included Coloccini in his squad for Newcastle's game at Carrow Road. But San Lorenzo's president, Matias Lammens, appears hopeful of securing a swift solution, having admitted today they are interested in signing him.

"Coloccini to San Lorenzo is the plan A, B and C," Lammens said. "He represents much more than football – he played here six months and was champion, his father works at the club and is a fan. The deadline is next week but we cannot do anything crazy with the budget."

After starting his professional career at Boca Juniors, Coloccini left the Buenos Aires giants for Milan in 1999. Although he remained on the books of the Italian club for five years, he spent almost the entire time out on loan in Argentina and Spain. Coloccini joined Newcastle in 2008 for £10.3m, with Pardew making him captain at the start of last season.