Orlando City 1-0 Newcastle United - FT

Guest toonarmymia

Friendly or not, this is not the sort of result that breeds confidence ahead of what looks like being a long hard season for us.

Erm, the Leyton Orient game that finished 6-1 to them a couple of years ago?

Erm your point? That was the catalyst to a collective kick up the backsides, if this turns out to be the same then great, but with that group of lads out there now, just can't see it. We need to buy and we need those players out to get back, but bloody held with all due respect to Orlando City, our reserves should be able to beat them with ease.

It was only a pre-season friendly like, so I'm not panicking yet.

What a bag of wank this pre-season tour is. So much absolute dogshit players wearing the shirt tonight. Don't even agree with the whole 'endurance test' theory that runs alongside it, either. We did that with Robson when we went to Asia, coming back home to a totally different climate and getting bowled over early doors with our fitness levels looking all over the shop.

Pissed on by America's League 1. :lol: Several players missing, i know (fuck coming to America ffs) - but still highlights the lack of strength in depth.

- Tavernier looked good and decent on the ball.

- Tiote and Enrique were their usual dominating selves, so can't complain bar a couple of dodgy tackles from Tiote.

- Forster's catching was ropey, his saves were top notch.

- Abeid looks really really good, and Vuckic had a decent runout too.

- The referee had a stinker, missing a perfect penalty shout and a disallowing a legit goal.

- Everyone else was shit, with special mentions to Smith, Lovenkrands and S.Taylor

Meh.

Fucking garbage that.

Fact is pre-season isn't just about fitness levels, it's about getting some confidence going, winning a few games (how often do clubs play better teams in pre-season?) and trying out a couple of new ideas and/or easing new players into the team or system we play. The combination of injuries, visa problems and births with half-arsed wank performances like that means it's hard to see what we're really getting out of it. Are the players really that unfit?

Not saying ZOMG ITS DA END OF DA WORLD, i just think coming to America was such a shite plan.

Fucking garbage that.

Fact is pre-season isn't just about fitness levels, it's about getting some confidence going, winning a few games (how often do clubs play better teams in pre-season?) and trying out a couple of new ideas and/or easing new players into the team or system we play. The combination of injuries, visa problems and births with half-arsed wank performances like that means it's hard to see what we're really getting out of it. Are the players really that unfit?

:thup:

Fucking garbage that.

Aye but Dave at least you can watch them now

:D

f***ing garbage that.

Fact is pre-season isn't just about fitness levels, it's about getting some confidence going, winning a few games (how often do clubs play better teams in pre-season?) and trying out a couple of new ideas and/or easing new players into the team or system we play. The combination of injuries, visa problems and births with half-arsed w*** performances like that means it's hard to see what we're really getting out of it. Are the players really that unfit?

Well it's impossible for everyone to play a team worse than themselves :razz:

Fucking garbage that.

Aye but Dave at least you can watch them now

:D

I could watch them before, man.

I don't think anyone is daft enough to dispute the fact that friendlies mean very little. But Dave sums it up perfectly; i seriously fail to see what we're gaining from this whole experience. But ah well, time will tell. There was a sprinkling of positives from that steaming gash, mainly the performances from some of the young lads.

Fitness levels looked poor, the urgency and determination to win just wasn't there and we're looking ridiculously thin on the squad front. This entire trip has been utterly pointless.

But I'm not too worried about a meaningless friendly against a third division US side. We beat Juventus 2-0 in the season we got relegated, similarly lost to Orient 6-1 the season we came back up.

It's all just 'meh'.

Friendly or not, this is not the sort of result that breeds confidence ahead of what looks like being a long hard season for us.

Erm, the Leyton Orient game that finished 6-1 to them a couple of years ago?

Erm your point? That was the catalyst to a collective kick up the backsides, if this turns out to be the same then great, but with that group of lads out there now, just can't see it. We need to buy and we need those players out to get back, but bloody held with all due respect to Orlando City, our reserves should be able to beat them with ease.

It was only a pre-season friendly like, so I'm not panicking yet.

Neither am I, but these aren't good signs, the lack of creativity is shocking, yes we were without our most creative players but those out there should still be able to make the odd chance, when we got to the final third tonight we did nothing, absolutely nothing all game.

You can't just turn on a switch and begin playing when the season starts, these games are first and foremost about fitness but you also want to see a patern of play and understanding develop amongst your players. I thought defensively it was fine, although the opposition was hardly frightening, but from a offensive point of view there was nothing there and that's been the case in all the preseason games so far which is beginning to worry me and should hopefully be worrying Pardew and Ashley.

Friendlies are s**** like.

Thank christ. To be fair they drew 0-0 with Bolton too, clearly just a bogey team for English sides.

Bolton beat them 3-1.

Bollocks, that's what I get for finding my info on the Orlando City website calender :D

Fitness levels looked poor, the urgency and determination to win just wasn't there and we're looking ridiculously thin on the squad front. This entire trip has been utterly pointless.

But I'm not too worried about a meaningless friendly against a third division US side. We beat Juventus 2-0 in the season we got relegated, similarly lost to Orient 6-1 the season we came back up.

It's all just 'meh'.

Exactly this.

It's all just 'meh'.

You're right but Juve was before 07/08.