Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Call me a cynic, but if we sign Obertan, I can realistically see Jonas being on the way out.

Agree with this - move him on before he gets any older to maximise his fee. By next summer there will hardly be anyone at the club over the age of 27.

Don't know if Obertans ever been that highly rated either:

"Obertan, who is 20 years old, struggled to make a big impression in Bordeaux’s first team last term, featuring for only 319 minutes spread throughout 11 appearances during the early part of last season. As a result of this inability to break into the starting XI, the former Paris Saint-Germain youngster was shifted to Lorient on loan, where he enjoyed greater competitive exposure.

Still, Blanc, a former Manchester United man himself, is surprised by the Red Devils’ decision to pounce at this juncture, but he is happy for the player.

“I was surprised too, but it is an unexpected chance for him to play with one of the best clubs in the world,” the coach told Europe1. “Manchester have been tracking him for a long time. They certainly hope to advance him, something that Bordeaux and Lorient have failed to do. He has the potential, but he must overcome psychological and mental challenges so he can express his true value.”

He's better than our other back up wing and forward options, so why not? People want to fill the squad out but then complain when a talented youngster is brought in to beef up numbers.

He might not have done the business at Man I but that could be down to numerous reasons, look at the likes of Forlan. It can happen.

When you're getting no games at all, having nani, park, giggs, etc in front of you then I bet your confidence takes a severe hit. Especially when he's pretty young.

He has pace, talent and skill, it's just he's had no real opportunity to get his foot in the door at arguably the best team in the world.

We can offer him the chance he needs and even if he doesn't work out, the fee doesn't seem to be big anyway.

Win win situation, in my opinion.

Good point...

Every time ive seen Obertan he has been very very bad. He has good pace but his footballing abilities are really bad.

He sounds like a good player judging by their forums, they'd prefer him to go away on loan so obviously don't want to loose him.

At the end of the day our squad is thin and i'm sure this lad has got a few things to prove.

good opportunity in my view.

Red Cafe.

Don't read into it.

If he's cheap enough then I'm happy with that. Well obviously he's cheap if we're buying him.

If he's cheap enough then I'm happy with that. Well obviously he's cheap if we're buying him.

:snod: :snod: :snod:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Hoping he does get a new confidence from being near the first team. At the very least he's a worry to defenders with his ability to get in behind? Maybe not a bad signing if he is only replacing Routledge.

Problem with any bigger signing under Ashley is that, they really need to be quality. Who know's if more players are signing. Also,  this certainly will keep us from signing Barnetta. Horrible buy imo.

Have you seen him play much?