Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

WTF was going on with him and Fergie last night towards the end of the game, just about when Cabaye came on.  They seemed to be arguing about who was playing on the LW.

Looked like Fergie told him to go RW and he just didn't.

We went back to 4-3-3 with Obertan left and Cisse right, Fergie filled in as the 3rd CM until Cabaye replaced him. Confusing.

What does everyone make of Obertan's stamina?

He can drift in and out of games, that much we know, but last night it seemed like he still had running in him until the last. That said, he seemed to be breathing heavy too. Can never tell with him personally.

gained some weight, right? looks stronger and still very fast.

i have been very hard on him, but he is doing well in the european matches. In the PL he should still be on the bench as he isn´t good enough....stil prefer ferguson over him on the LW....if changes are made.

He is a very good option to have on the bench...especially late on in the game.

keep it up, son...i might have to eat my own words.

that is true, he still needs to work on his game at Prem level.

because in europe, fullbacks gives you a lot more space and time on the ball.  but he has played very well so far.

Hes defiantely at his best when he opts to knock it past the fullback, either side, run onto it and cross it. His crossing is generally very good and 9/10 hell beat the fullback for strength and pace. The problems arise in Obertans game, when he dwells on the ball and cuts inside. He doesnt have the silky dribbling skills of HBA to get away with it and is too indecsive to make an effective pass. Best just to keep beating his man and getting the ball in the box/ having a shot.

His crossing is generally very good

Is it?  I honestly can't think of many 'crosses' that have come to anything from him bar Stoke away.  He also got an assist vs Bolton away and against Bordeaux, but that was from rolling it along the floor. 

My main problem with him is that his final ball/cross is usually so poor.  He gets in some really good positions, but we usually end up with a corner at best.

Id rank him near the best in the squad for crossing.

1. Ryan Taylor, 2. Shane Ferguson,  3. Hatem Ben Arfa, 4. Gabriel Obertan.

Hes had limited opportunities bar the start of last season. Judging him on this season, I think his cross and wing product has been very good.

Guest Howaythetoon

He had a fantastic game but it is no coincidence that his better displays have mainly been in cup games where the tempo is generally much slower, the opposition not as strong and the physical demands not as taxing. He used his main and somewhat only asset to great effect last night, his pace. He also took his goal very well. Can he do it in the Premier League? I don't think he can. He would do well enough back in France or some other league. Id be reasonably happy to see his first-team opportunities restricted or limited to Euro and cup games personally as I feel he shouldn't get anywhere near the first-team for League games.

Id rank him near the best in the squad for crossing.

1. Ryan Taylor, 2. Shane Ferguson,  3. Hatem Ben Arfa, 4. Gabriel Obertan.

Hes had limited opportunities bar the start of last season. Judging him on this season, I think his cross and wing product has been very good.

Ben Arfa is no good for crosses from wide but he's brilliant at finding the head of Ba or Cisse chipping from edge of box

The disparity in performances between Brugges/Bordeaux and today is absolutely staggering. He's got the mental stability of a four-year-old; if you bring him into a match which is in the balance and the crowd is anything less than roaring - he's a fucking wreck. Embarrassed for the guy tbh, he can't handle the Premier League.