Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

He just does not know what to do when confronted with one or two defenders, he just slows down and cant think what to do. 

The ammount of times I have shouted "drive into the box" or "put the ball over now" is unreal.  Decision making isn't something you can teach a player.

I thought he might have made something of time he has had with us and more time on the pitch but it hasn't happened.  Id rather we sold the lad on and tried to pick up some young talent from the lower leagues.

I think Obertan is more suited to the Championship.

This, he's not a premier league player. The 'fans' argument and all that is shit. He's been given a great many more chances than many would be given and he's only shown one or two useful bits of skill/passing/crosses in all his time here. Running forwards a lot and winning a corner is not good enough, especially when he fucks up doing it more often than not

This, he's not a premier league player. The 'fans' argument and all that is s***. He's been given a great many more chances than many would be given and he's only shown one or two useful bits of skill/passing/crosses in all his time here. Running forwards a lot and winning a corner is not good enough, especially when he f***s up doing it more often than not

Ive got nowt against him, If i was him I would have joined NUFC to try and build a career in the prem.  I just dont think he can make decisions in and around the box, you cant teach a player this.

No, sadly you can't teach someone decision making or natural vision. If you lack confidence then of course it can affect you but he's been here over a year now and not produced anything close to PL quality. When he first arrived, I stood up for him when loads of people said he was shit and a bad buy, sadly, I was wrong

No, sadly you can't teach someone decision making or natural vision. If you lack confidence then of course it can affect you but he's been here over a year now and not produced anything close to PL quality. When he first arrived, I stood up for him when loads of people said he was shit and a bad buy, sadly, I was wrong

I disagree.

I disagree.

Same here. Whether he's capable of learning is a different matter.

Guest LeMacaron

So much fun when he passes the ball beyond a player and runs around him - and normally gets there! Those daft step overs he does, usually leads to him being nicely tangled up with the ball / out of play. God bless Obertan.

I thought he did alright yesterday. Got badly taken out and even though the ref played advantage i thought the culprit might still have got a yellow but he did nowt.

When he was put through on the right hand side i thought he did everything right (i never saw anyone else in the box) even though we were lucky to get a corner as i'm sure Ruddy kept it in.

No, sadly you can't teach someone decision making or natural vision. If you lack confidence then of course it can affect you but he's been here over a year now and not produced anything close to PL quality. When he first arrived, I stood up for him when loads of people said he was s*** and a bad buy, sadly, I was wrong

I disagree.

Same here. Whether he's capable of learning is a different matter.

I guess that's what I meant. Decision making is a pretty intuitive process but you can learn to make better decisions through practice. In Obertan's case, he's not shown the slightest improvement in all his time here

When he was put through on the right hand side i thought he did everything right

The "shot"? :lol:

he would have if he'd shot across the keeper rather than near post.  After watching the replay if he'd crossed it ba would have had a tap in at the back post.

Apart from Ben Arfa, which other wide player on our roster has consistently beaten a man to put a cross in? Just how easy do you think it is to find Shola in space when you want to put a cross in? Was the shot yesterday really that bad in the context of the shots Cisse and Cabaye had in the same match? People are describing the play as if Demba was in acres of space crying out for the ball. I can't believe i'm reading that fans wouldn't want an attacking player to put their head down and go for goal in that situation.

We would all like professional players to be able to put negative feedback from the fans to the back of their mind, and credit to Perch for being able to overcome it (though the time away and the change of position helped) but the way the home fans jump on his back after his first mistake isn't helping the issue.

I wouldn't start him either and yes I wish we had signed a better winger in the summer but people are acting like we have some kind of Sunday League player that can't be arsed on the pitch.

Fans pretty much gave up on him after 5 games. Been fighting a losing battle since. A pity, as the talent is there but there is no way he will build up any confidence at this club now as fans just jump on his back after any perceived mistake, even if the movement of the forwards is largely to blame for a significant amount of his crosses that don't find a player.

:lol:

Rubbish, he gets little or no stick during games and he's garbage and will never make it here because he hasn't got it in him, blaming the forwards for his shitness is laughable.  I've lost it with him now and it's taken 31 appearances for me to do that, not 5. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player be as bad for so long at the start of his career with us and come good after it.  As far as I'm concerned I'd rather watch one of the kids before watching Obertan.

He just does not know what to do when confronted with one or two defenders, he just slows down and cant think what to do. 

The ammount of times I have shouted "drive into the box" or "put the ball over now" is unreal.  Decision making isn't something you can teach a player.

I thought he might have made something of time he has had with us and more time on the pitch but it hasn't happened.  Id rather we sold the lad on and tried to pick up some young talent from the lower leagues.

Good post.

Yes that Ince lad sounds like a good replacement we should try and replace Obertan for him in January. I'd rather we gave Sammy a run as supersub before Obertan. Pardew seems determined though to try and bring him through though. Flogging a dead horse really, not admiting defeat on that one. As has been said his has ton's of pace and good ability. In the Europa game he has half decent and fairly consistantly (for him) got down the wing and got the ball in the box which was 10 x more than Marveaux did in that game or any game thereafter. But Obertan's decision making and vision is horrendous we cannot have players giving the ball away as easy as he does so consistently.