L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

this dude must have been well down a long list of strikers we have before the window opened....actually he might not even have been on the list to start with.

anyway, i just want some one in....15 goals last season + the one youtube clip i watched tells me he might actually become (very) good. he is still 23 years but if the price is 8 mill euro....i think its a bit of gamble, is ashley willing to spend that much?

We could for example have tried to sign keirrison for half the money?

Which other clubs don't have a left back on the books?

I'm pretty sure you know that wasn't what I was getting at. All teams are still actively pursuing targets and apart from maybe a few teams, their signings will be drawn out until the end of the window, like every single year.

Don't really give a fuck what other clubs are up to tbh. We've known for months that we need a striker and a left back, and we have more funds available than everyone other than a select few could dream of. And yet here we are, season has started and days away from a derby and STILL people think it's acceptable. Ffs.

Guest MrSundlofer

Modibo Maiga plays for Sochaux and...

"Newcastle United and Wolves had scouts in France on the weekend.

Both Premier League clubs were represented at Bordeaux's 4-0 home defeat by Sochaux.

Toon chief scout Graham Carr has been active in the French transfer market since the New Year. "

"The Algeria midfielder currently plays for French club Sochaux and has been linked with a summer move to Lyon or Marseille.

However, reports in France suggest the 21-year-old has also been watched by scouts from both Liverpool and Newcastle in recent weeks."

So we must have been aware of him, no doubt.

It's not acceptable, it's just the way it happens every year, to the extent that I'm past being pissed off by it. Don't get me wrong, if these things haven't been addressed at the close of the window then I'll be pissed off, but my gut feeling is that they will be addressed, and I will be underwhelmed.

It's not acceptable, it's just the way it happens every year, to the extent that I'm past being p*ssed off by it. Don't get me wrong, if these things haven't been addressed at the close of the window then I'll be p*ssed off, but my gut feeling is that they will be addressed, and I will be underwhelmed.

Yep i agree but we have the matter of the mackems on saturday, maybe if we weren't playing them this weekend it wouldn't be such a big issue.

Guest Roger Kint

Both Premier League clubs were represented at Bordeaux's 4-0 home defeat by Sochaux.

Toon chief scout Graham Carr has been active in the French transfer market since the New Year. "

"The Algeria midfielder currently plays for French club Sochaux and has been linked with a summer move to Lyon or Marseille.

However, reports in France suggest the 21-year-old has also been watched by scouts from both Liverpool and Newcastle in recent weeks."

Is that second one not about a different player? Maiga being Malian and almost 24 in a month?

Edit: Unless you mean we were just there watching someone else so would have noticed him   :thup:

this dude must have been well down a long list of strikers we have before the window opened....actually he might not even have been on the list to start with.

anyway, i just want some one in....15 goals last season + the one youtube clip i watched tells me he might actually become (very) good. he is still 23 years but if the price is 8 mill euro....i think its a bit of gamble, is ashley willing to spend that much?

We could for example have tried to sign keirrison for half the money?

Even at half the price, Keirrison would be a far greater gamble. Proven nothing in his career. 

I watched this game, Sochaux scored four goals in half an hour. Boudebouz was fantastic. Ideye Brown scored two goals as well.

Would like to think we've been monitoring Martin and Boudebouz, would have much better signings that bloody Marveaux.

I watched this game, Sochaux scored four goals in half an hour. Boudebouz was fantastic. Ideye Brown scored two goals as well.

Would like to think we've been monitoring Martin and Boudebouz, would have much better signings that bloody Marveaux.

So Marveaux is written off now?

I'm pretty sure Colocho is on the NHS suicide watch program. 

Do you ever do anything other than piss, moan and whinge?

Nah, that would be Dave.

Colocho also does a bunch of other things, such as being a self-styled French Football expert and being the world's premier mounter of high horses.

Chances Of Newcastle Signing Maiga Are Receding

10:44 am, Wednesday, August 17th, 2011 by Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

Souchaux coach Mecha Bazderevix has openly criticized and punished Modibo Maiga for expressing his great desire to become a Newcastle United player.

Modibo Maiga - chances of signing him are receding

Of course he also refused to play against Caen last weekend, and has now been left out of the squad for the Europa League match at Metalist Kharkiv, on Thursday evening.

Modibo has been annoyed that Souchaux will not even consider Newcastle’s offer for him, and he has made it clear to anybody who would listen, that he sees his future at Newcastle.

This is Souchaux coach Mecha Bazdarevic said today:

“I met him Maiga on Monday and I said I understood, I know that a player cannot be quiet when other clubs are after him.”

“He has the right to expect, but also duties in relation to the club. He has the duty to work for others and for the club. Souchaux has a history, a tradition, the club is above us all.”

“Modi knows he made a mistake, but I have decided to punish him by sending him to train with the reserve team.”

“He remained there until Friday, will not go with us in Ukraine, and then we will take stock. I hope that by Friday, it will be ready to rejoin the group.”

The 23-year-old was quoted by French newspaper L’Equipe earlier in the week as saying:

“I want it to be done with Newcastle.” “I met everybody, they want me and it is not any club. England is a dream.”

“I want to leave, it is necessary that the Souchaux president agrees to negotiate. I want to go.”

‘I don’t want to fall out with Souchaux.” “But the president has to discuss my transfer.”

The Souchaux President  Alexandre  Lacombe, however, has already told told BBC Sport that he will not sell Maiga to the Newcastle club.

And Lacombe also made it clear back in June, when several big clubs were interested in Maiga, that he would not sell his star player.

An this looks very like the case of Neil Taylor a few months ago, when he was also desperate to join Newcastle, but Swansea City  would simply not sell him, and finally they signed him up on  a new improved contract at the Welsh club.

It seems the chances of getting Maiga are receding and the same may happen with Maiga as happened with Neil Taylor, and we shall know soon enough.

Link: http://www.nufcblog.com/2011/08/17/chances-of-newcastle-signing-maiga-are-receding/?

Chances Of Newcastle Signing Maiga Are Receding

10:44 am, Wednesday, August 17th, 2011 by Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

Souchaux coach Mecha Bazderevix has openly criticized and punished Modibo Maiga for expressing his great desire to become a Newcastle United player.

Modibo Maiga - chances of signing him are receding

Of course he also refused to play against Caen last weekend, and has now been left out of the squad for the Europa League match at Metalist Kharkiv, on Thursday evening.

Modibo has been annoyed that Souchaux will not even consider Newcastle’s offer for him, and he has made it clear to anybody who would listen, that he sees his future at Newcastle.

This is Souchaux coach Mecha Bazdarevic said today:

“I met him Maiga on Monday and I said I understood, I know that a player cannot be quiet when other clubs are after him.”

“He has the right to expect, but also duties in relation to the club. He has the duty to work for others and for the club. Souchaux has a history, a tradition, the club is above us all.”

“Modi knows he made a mistake, but I have decided to punish him by sending him to train with the reserve team.”

“He remained there until Friday, will not go with us in Ukraine, and then we will take stock. I hope that by Friday, it will be ready to rejoin the group.”

The 23-year-old was quoted by French newspaper L’Equipe earlier in the week as saying:

“I want it to be done with Newcastle.” “I met everybody, they want me and it is not any club. England is a dream.”

“I want to leave, it is necessary that the Souchaux president agrees to negotiate. I want to go.”

‘I don’t want to fall out with Souchaux.” “But the president has to discuss my transfer.”

The Souchaux President  Alexandre  Lacombe, however, has already told told BBC Sport that he will not sell Maiga to the Newcastle club.

And Lacombe also made it clear back in June, when several big clubs were interested in Maiga, that he would not sell his star player.

An this looks very like the case of Neil Taylor a few months ago, when he was also desperate to join Newcastle, but Swansea City  would simply not sell him, and finally they signed him up on  a new improved contract at the Welsh club.

It seems the chances of getting Maiga are receding and the same may happen with Maiga as happened with Neil Taylor, and we shall know soon enough.

Link: http://www.nufcblog.com/2011/08/17/chances-of-newcastle-signing-maiga-are-receding/?

Fuck a duck. :doh:

Guest johnson293

That's really just NUFCBlog's opinion on the situation. Might as well be an editorial.

We're not any more or less likely to sign the lad than we were yesterday.

If the quotes in there form the Sochaux coach are true though, then it looks like they intend to hold onto him until/beyond the weekend (at least), which probably rules him out of signing before the derby.

That's really just NUFCBlog's opinion on the situation. Might as well be an editorial.

If the quotes in there are true though, then it looks like they intend to hold onto him until/beyond the weekend (at least), which probably rules him out of signing before the derby.

I don't think anybody was really expecting that this apparent huge row with his club would be resolved by Saturday.

Piss off.

Nah, that would be Dave.

Colocho also does a bunch of other things, such as being a self-styled French Football expert and being the world's premier mounter of high horses.

You an' all.

If the quotes in there are true though, then it looks like they intend to hold onto him until/beyond the weekend (at least), which probably rules him out of signing before the derby.

It was fairly obvious this one was going to drag, we absolutely need a left back before the weekend though.