Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

That's where he gets away with having less criticism. He doesn't make individual errors in the same way Darlow was making last season for instance, but there's certain shots where your average goalkeeper would save that he simply can't get down to.

Aye agree with that, if nothing else he's consistent and i doubt he's going to make massive mistakes but there are aspects to his game which i have no doubt Rafa will want to upgrade on.

It's also really hard to quantify much of anything besides great saves and ones he should have made. Does he help keep the back four organized? Is he making the back four play slightly deeper on average because we know he's slower off the line? Would we have more possession or create more counter attacking opportunities if he had quicker/better distribution?

I still haven't seen him make a save any other keeper wouldn't have made.

The save from the downward header against Stoke was pretty impressive mind.

I don't rate the bloke that highly but he certainly isn't dropping any clangers or costing us points from what I've seen so far this season, and we've conceded only 4 goals in 5 games as a newly promoted side, until I see otherwise I would say hes had a good start.

I thought he and a good game. Made a couple of good saves and came off his line well. The goal comes through about three players from memory, he probably saw it a fraction of a second too late. I think it isn't by any stretch of the imagination a goalkeeping error/' could have chucked his cap on it' job.

I still haven't seen him make a save any other keeper wouldn't have made.

Any ? So that really means you haven't seen him make a save NO other keepers, or all other keepers would have made ?

I'm all for high standards but....ye knaa!

I feel like Darlow makes some hideous clangers, but is more likely to pull off a top-drawer unexpected save than Elliot. Elliot makes very few obvious clangers but the top-drawer saves are rarer.

Neither can kick for shit. On balance I'd stick with Elliot for now.

From the Express  http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/857590/Newcastle-News-Rob-Elliot-EXCLUSIVE-Rafa-Benitez-Pepe-Reina

ROB ELLIOT has fallen in love and is embroiled in a relationship destined to last forever.

And not even the fickle world of football will spoil it for the Newcastle keeper.

Greenwich-born Elliot spent most of the first 25 years of his life living in Kent with little thought of moving on.

Then in 2011, he joined Newcastle and his life was changed forever.

Elliot was smitten with this new world, so much so that earlier this year, he sat down in the house he shares with wife Robyn and kids Max and Oa and made a decision.

Cullercoats, a seaside village just eight miles from the City Centre, was to be home for the rest of their lives.

No matter where his career took him, Elliot planned to put down roots in a region 300 miles from where he was brought up.

Even when it looked as if he may have to leave the Magpies for regular first team football, his mind was made up.

He’d spent the summer wondering whether former Liverpool keeper Pepe Reina, a player he’s admired from afar, would be leaving Napoli to link up with Rafa Benitez again.

“Rafa was always very open with me,” said the 31-year-old, who is yet to play 50 games for the club he’s served for over six years.

“It would have been a tough one. I had no issue on a professional level but had I been told, I was likely to spend the whole season on the bench, I’d probably have looked elsewhere.

“Nothing materialised and when the transfer window shut, suddenly I could see the road ahead.

“All the uncertainty had gone and I could really kick on. I’ve been at Newcastle a long time now and haven’t played the number of games I’d have liked for a variety of reasons.

“So starting this season as No. 1 is huge, a massive opportunity.”

Elliot admits leaving Newcastle would break his heart.

“That’s no exaggeration. Robyn and I love it here and that’s not typical football-speak.

“We didn’t know what to expect when we came up here but we’ve been amazed by the place.

“Newcastle and the surrounding area ticks all the boxes – beautiful countryside, National Parks, the best coastline anywhere.

“And most importantly, a community feel I’ve never experienced before. You feel you are part of it, not just passing by.

“That’s why we never want to leave. We’re settled. This is where we want our kids to be brought up and the place we want to live for the next ten, 20, 30, 40 years.

“Even my mum has bought a house near us. She retired from teaching after 25 years and is starting a new life here, to be close to her grandchildren. Like us, she’s fallen for the place.”

But isn’t it a risk for a footballer to commit himself so steadfastly to a region?

“We’ve talked about that,” adds Elliot. “In January, I may be transferred to the other side of the world but this is where we live.

“Regardless of what happens, this will always be home.

“If I have to commute on a daily basis, so be it. Cullercoats is base from now on.”

Right now, Elliot’s professional life is proving as joyful as his personal life with the Toon heading to Brighton tomorrow in fourth place and looking for a fourth straight win.

Elliot said: “The big thing is we’ve got a squad of players who all want to be here – and that’s something you couldn’t always say.

“That’s reflected in our recent results.

“I can even live with being the oldie in a very young squad even though it has its drawbacks.

“I know I’m not the coolest footballer in the world but I keep reading in the matchday programme I’m the worst dresser in the club. That’s taking it a bit far!”

Iv never been his biggest fan but the lad is doing well for himself.

Good for him. Personally don't think he's a good enough keeper but chuffed for his family and him that he loves it here. Like having a squad of players that love this place and want to play for NUFC. An article in the Mag from years ago which probably isn't even true doesn't change that.

Nah, he's a weasel who sucked up to Pardew as he knew it was his only way of staying because he wasn't good enough. We'll improve drastically with a proper 'keeper who can actually get down to save low shots.

Never seen any proof of this anywhere apart from that article in the Mag, which is absolute shite now.

Aye, the Mag is s**** but they've definitely never outrightly lied about something a player has said. It's pretty much slander to suggest he's gone out slagging off the fans, and it was never denied by Elliott himself.

Doubt he'll have read the Mag tbh. :lol: Nothing was in the press about it so he probably never heard of it. To call him a weasel or dislike him based on an article in the Mag, which is utterly tragic, from 2014 is a bit excessive iyam.