Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

Rafa

“Take the goal we conceded. People say it was a great goal by Coutinho. It was a lack of communication before the goal. Bad movement, a lack of communication and then he scores. All of these things we can improve."

• 2 weeks later...

He looks every bit the £300,000 Charlton goalkeeper.

We're obviously not able to bring in a truly top class goalkeeper for a variety of reasons but he's being exposed at this level by good rather than exceptional efforts on goal.

I honestly would roll with Woodman at this point, Darlow's really not much better than Blobby and we need to see what we have in him before someone comes in a steals him away. Really couldn't be much worse than Blobby, even at such a young age for a GK.

I'd be really tempted to start giving Woodman a few games now. I know Rafa won't and can totally understand the caution. He's got to be given a go at some point though and he'll not get better sitting on the bench, he needs to play at the highest level asap if he's going to develop. I refuse to believe he's poorer than Elliot.

Guest firetotheworks

Nope.  Could ruin woodman if he comes in too early.

A lot of people say this, but it's hard to find an example of that happening to another promising keeper, can you give me one ?

Scott Carson and Chris Kirkland are two that stand out.

Personally I'd go for it though tbh, Elliott's not getting any better than this.