Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

When Sturridge came through at him second half he flew out and claimed it first, was a great bit of keeping.

That was great to be honest. It would have been so easy to bring down Sturridge or even to lose control of the ball but he took it well and hang on to it too.

As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle.  But people will continue to over exaggerate to somehow make their point seem more valid. 

I don't think anyone is blaming Elliot for every goal?  Nor are they saying some hypothetical, imaginary goalkeeper would have saved every shot he's faced :lol:

According to this thread alone it is just the goals against Tottenham (1 of), Liverpool, Brighton and Stoke that he was either at fault for or someone else would have saved.

I mean, that’s only 4 of the 6 goals we have conceded all season. Wouldn’t be surprised if there was something about the other two goals in the relevant match thread too.

I actually tend to agree on the Stoke goal and possibly one of the Spurs goals, but I can't really remember, TBH.  I've wiped that game from my memory! 

The Liverpool one looks shit in slow-mo, but after watching it again this morning.  It is a bit of a banger and it is incredibly harsh to blame him.  I do just have it stuck in my mind that he gets beat by a lot of shots that seem saveable, though.   

As for the Brighton goal?  People thought he should have saved that? :lol:  If I was one of them, then I apologise.  I don't remember him getting blamed there.  Pretty sure it was just brutal defending and a foul. 

I'm a harsh critic of his.  I don't rate him, I think he is slow to get down and across to the ball, he seems to be badly positioned for too many shots and 1 on 1's, plus he never looks comfortable with crosses.  All that said, he has been remarkably solid this season and I can't really fault him too much.

There are a fair few positions that need upgrading before him, TBH. 

He's done reasonably well this season, he's certainly improved from when he first joined us and no doubt a change in a goalkeeper coach will have helped.

Though it's an obvious area of upgrade BUT to be fair that can apply to all positions except for Merino probably.

Maybe the plan is to avoid buying a keeper so Woodman can take the spot in the next year or two.

#justice4robbie

He's doing well this season and deserves to be our No.1. Solid performer who I feel assured of in goal - probably more so than Krul even a few seasons back when he was in form.

:lol: Oookay

I guess the BEIN sports pundits must be carrying the same agenda as me the  as they were saying his footwork and positioning were bad for the goal yesterday. 

The problem is, a shot that is hit well if you're positioned badly, and moving slowly looks unsavable, that doesn't mean it is.His positioning for long range shots, and his ability to move his feet quickly are poor, and it's not exactly like that hasn't been shown before. Shaqiri has already done it to him once before. No one is blaming him for every goal.

To be fair to him, Coutinho usually hits those in the far corner, and you could see Elliott shuffling his feet to his left expecting the shot to end up there. Coutinho simply outsmarted him by hitting it into the near post. It was a very intelligent finish as well as a rocket.

Absolutely no blame from me for the goal. Perhaps a keeper with an excellent reach like Forster might have got a hand on it but I can't blame Elliot for that. Like most of the current squad he's limited in ability but is trying 110% and has come on leaps and bounds (probably not the best metaphor where he is concerned) since he first arrived.

No complaints here. Very few mistakes (which all keepers make over a season) and he does the basics right. Would prefer Reina for the fact that Rafa wants him and knows him well, but failing that, it's telling that Rafa trusts Elliot.

Guest neesy111

Was at the match, looked a good hit then heard a few people criticising his positioning after.  Saw replay of it, possibly could had done better but it's a great hit.

Otherwise, that's probably the best I've seen him in terms of commanding his box and coming for the ball.

Absolutely no blame from me for the goal. Perhaps a keeper with an excellent reach like Forster might have got a hand on it but I can't blame Elliot for that. Like most of the current squad he's limited in ability but is trying 110% and has come on leaps and bounds (probably not the best metaphor where he is concerned) since he first arrived.

No complaints here. Very few mistakes (which all keepers make over a season) and he does the basics right. Would prefer Reina for the fact that Rafa wants him and knows him well, but failing that, it's telling that Rafa trusts Elliot.

:hmm:

Still think that goal doesn't happen if we have a commanding keeper in goal communicating with Lascelles to let him know he had time to control the ball, rather than him making a rash first-time clearance, but probably nitpicking.

100% this for me!

You can see me on TV just after the goal (I sit just behind the goal!) doing the 'yapping' notion to Elliot for not talking to Lascelles! He definitely didn't say anything!

Re-watched the highlights just there, his positioning was pretty poor for the goal, but still not really going to blame him for it, that shot is hit so damn fast, almost impossible to react. I didn't really appreciate at the time, the save he made from the Clark miss kick, that was excellent.

And people say it was an overreaction that people are ridiculously harsh of Elliot :lol:

Blaming him because Lascelles couldn’t clear a simple ball ffs. What about Clark, could he have shouted? Ritchie? Yedlin? What were they all doing? Nope - it’s all Elliots fault.

And aye, every keeper should be positioned perfectly to save a fantastic strike that was hit with such power. Nobody ever gets beat by a strike like that.

Elliot gets dogs abuse online and it really is unwarranted. He's unspectacular but the shift he's put in when required has very rarely been substandard.

Tbh I think a lot of the sniping at him comes from the fact that he was Pardew's boy. On his own merit he's been an excellent signing.

And people say it was an overreaction that people are ridiculously harsh of Elliot :lol:

Blaming him because Lascelles couldn’t clear a simple ball ffs. What about Clark, could he have shouted? Ritchie? Yedlin? What were they all doing? Nope - it’s all Elliots fault.

And aye, every keeper should be positioned perfectly to save a fantastic strike that was hit with such power. Nobody ever gets beat by a strike like that.

Not really sure Lascelles poor clearance as it was, was that at fault, surely Ritchie should have headed out and not where he did. People are talking as if Lascelles clearance went straight to Coutinho, when it didn't.

If you're trying to find faults then Lascelles, Ritchie, Shelvey and Elliot were all to blame.

Lascelles couldn't clear his lines.

Ritchie couldn't clear his lines.

What midfielder would let Coutinho cut inside with two yards of space?

Elliot wasn't in a great position.

Or we just accept it was a world class strike and move on. Our defence and GK has been as steady as I can remember for a long time in the top flight. No need to panic.

It's all about opinions pal  :D

A simple 'time' call from Elliot to Lasacelles who was only a few yards away SHOULD have meant he took a touch before clearing but Kevo has nailed the goal in the post above those!