Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

Save from Shaqiri in the 1st half was brilliant, looked in and he looked well beaten but somehow got to it at the last minute.

Save from Zouma at 1-1 was brilliant as well, but I also was surprised that Shaquiris shot went in.

Surprised motd ignored this piece of hot action

Shaqiri strike is just average, blob got beaten because he is a blob.  That said, that header save is brilliant so basically even out.  He deserves to start until his next error that cost our match.  Won't be long though.

I dunno should have save the goal imo, maybe harsh but he was clearly disappointed himself.

He admitted in his post match interview that he thought he should have been better with the goal.

In reality, I can't really think of too much that he's done wrong so far this season. However, I just can't seem to shake the fact that I'm not totally comfortable with him. I don't think that it's because he makes me particualrly nervous or anything, but if you look at other keepers in the league, it seems like you have to do something special to beat them (look at some of the saves Butland & Fabianski had against us in the past couple of games for example). On the other hand though, with Rob, although he's rarely going to make a massive error, if you keep testing him, it feels like you've always got half a chance.

Just seems to me that's he's our weakest link right now. Will be very surprised if he remains first choice after the January window closes. Until then I hope he performs above himself, but will still rage and call him "pieman" every time he makes a mistake or goes down in stages like with the goal yesterday.

Just seems to me that's he's our weakest link right now. Will be very surprised if he remains first choice after the January window closes. Until then I hope he performs above himself, but will still rage and call him "pieman" every time he makes a mistake or goes down in stages like with the goal yesterday.

Really?!  I think he deserves a lot of praise for his performances this season. There were 2-3 saves against Stoke that were absolutely class.

I've never been his biggest fan but IMO he's won us points already this season.

Being overly harsh, as I openly admit I don't rate him. But I thought he should have saved the goal. Judging by Sky's highlights. He made a couple of great saves and sounded like he was off his line well early on. So credit where it's due. He played well.

Thought at the match he could have done better with the Shaqiri goal, but having watched replays it's ridiculously harsh criticism.

He was a quarter of a second too late in getting down. A top keeper saves it but, as you say, it's probably a bit harsh to criticise too much - especially given that he made certainly one good save (the one which bounced up).

He's done alright this season, Elliot, aside from probably Huddersfield where his kicking was absolutely awful all game. But I do think there'll be occasions this year where we'll rue not getting somebody better.

I was watching some Rafa vids on Youtube and there was one from a few years back; he was on Soccer AM being 'interviewed' by that Darren Farley impressionist guy. He goes "you've worked with Gerrard, Carragher, etc... who's the best player you ever worked with at Liverpool?" Rafa says neither of them, but Reina. Clearly would've been a huge signing for us.

Thought at the match he could have done better with the Shaqiri goal, but having watched replays it's ridiculously harsh criticism.

He was a quarter of a second too late in getting down. A top keeper saves it

Not even a top keeper, even a decent ones saves it. Put it this way Butland would have saved it, tbf to him a couple of saves after that were great and he's fine enough shot stopper for things at decent height but when it comes to low shots he's pretty bad and it won't be the last time we see it this season.

That's where he gets away with having less criticism. He doesn't make individual errors in the same way Darlow was making last season for instance, but there's certain shots where your average goalkeeper would save that he simply can't get down to.

Aye agree with that, if nothing else he's consistent and i doubt he's going to make massive mistakes but there are aspects to his game which i have no doubt Rafa will want to upgrade on.